: On star issues

Theboss1
11-09-10, 02:16 PM
My 2004 Cad. Escalade ETX did not have the On-Star upgraded in the normal window when it was offered as a Warantee issue--so my local dealer wants $350.00 labor plus the analog to digital convertor and a 1 year On-Star subscription to get this thing usable--any help would be great.

iowasevillests
11-09-10, 02:22 PM
I'm not sure what the question is.....if its price that bothers you a couple of quick phone calls to other dealerships will get you a price quote on what they'll charge for the same work, but to my knowledge its a dealer only fix so you don't have a ton of choices if you want the blue button to work....well besides for trading up to a newer ride of course!

C&C
11-09-10, 03:27 PM
I had my '04 Bravada switched from analog to digital (but this was performed quite a while ago) and the offer, at the time, was all that was needed was for me to extend my Onstar contract for one year. I don't know whether this had a limited time offer or not (but since Onstar is the one that decided to no longer support analog, I feel, that they should honor that deal and do your swap out the same as what they did for me). If you don't get any satisfaction from your local dealer maybe you at least need to give Onstar a call; maybe they can work something out.

Submariner409
11-09-10, 03:44 PM
I did my 2002 during the analog-to-digital "grace period". Inexpensive, other than the subscription and a minutes package.............

BUT that's over forever -I think now you go to a GM dealer (only), they send the VIN to OnStar, a new transceiver and antenna package comes in, get a service appointment, and you pay for it - transceiver, dealer install, and the subscription and minutes all at one time - WAY over $350. A 2 year subscription alone, base package, is close to $350, not including the $80 for 200 minutes.

OnStar didn't decide not to support analog on their own - Verizon and the other carriers went digital and OnStar, a cell contractor, got caught. The phone and OnStar communications work on cellular - only the locator is GPS.

Playdrv4me
11-09-10, 05:51 PM
OnStar sucks anyway on the pre downloadable map/remote start etc cars. Get the BlueStar kit and use the existing OnStar buttons for completely hands free use of your Bluetooth enabled cellular phone. Costs WAAAY less than that conversion.

Shafe99
11-09-10, 08:50 PM
I just had my 2003 Escalade converted from analog to digital a few weeks ago. Call OnStar, the dealer should do this for you for a 15.00 service charge and one year subscription. Safe and Sound is 199.95 per year. You will pay for it when you order the digital unit and they will install it when it comes in. Cadillac pays the dealer to do it. Don't let them charge you for it.

Submariner409
11-09-10, 11:28 PM
I just had my 2003 Escalade converted from analog to digital a few weeks ago. Call OnStar, the dealer should do this for you for a 15.00 service charge and one year subscription. Safe and Sound is 199.95 per year. You will pay for it when you order the digital unit and they will install it when it comes in. Cadillac pays the dealer to do it. Don't let them charge you for it.

That's good to know - I thought the "grace period" was over........

ewill3rd
11-10-10, 09:24 AM
Sub, still the same
$15 fee, plus either $199 or $399 depending on the service level for the subscription fee.
That means out the door it is $214 or $414, anything else and you need to call GM and ask them why your dealer is charging you for a "warranty" repair.
We do them all the time, still.
We did so many and did them so well GM called us to ask us what we were doing because all the other dealers were screwing it up so badly.

Theboss1
11-11-10, 01:45 PM
I guess that is why I am asking--my dealer says they have to charge $350.00 for the labot on top of the up-date and the $15.00 fee for the convertor--so I am going to call Cadillac next and see hwat they say--it's not the money--it's the principle.

ewill3rd
11-11-10, 05:30 PM
$350 labor?
The labor time is just over an hour to do an OnStar upgrade on an EXT.
What in the world to they need $350 for?

Theboss1
11-11-10, 06:27 PM
Thanks for all the grat help--called another dealer and they said NO PROBLEM! Cadillac would pay--so that's what I going to do--Great forum--Thanks again.

ewill3rd
11-12-10, 08:06 AM
When you are done you might call the first dealer back and let them know you got it done the proper way.
I just don't understand.