: Need help: 2005 Cadillac STS which trim is it & TIRE recommendations?

CapsMeow
11-08-10, 06:19 PM
Hi,
I've spent most of the day trying to figure this out and am hoping you Caddy experts can help me out. I have a 2005 Cadillac STS with a V8 engine that desperately needs new tires. When I try to find tires for it, the websites ask which trim it is and I don't know. I've tried looking up the VIN, and it tells me the factory options it came with (GPS, sunroof, ventilated/heated front and heated back seats, remote start, heated steering wheel, traction control, tire pressure monitors, intelligent high beams, Bose surround sound, 6 disc CD changer, wood trim, memory seat, spoiler) but not which "package" it is (Premium Performance, Luxury Performance, etc.?) Based on the information I gave you, which "trim" or "package" do I have? (I do not have the HUD.)
Second part of my question: I live in the Washington, D.C. area and deal with a lot of stop and go traffic conditions. This past winter was the snowiest on record and I was stuck at home not able to go anywhere because of how horrible (it seems) my car is in the snow (even horrible in just wet conditions! This is my first Rear Wheel drive car, so not sure if that is why it's so bad in slippery conditions or it's the tires?) What tires would you recommend? Sizing is Front: P235/50R17 and Back: P255/45R17. Most important to me is safe driving in slick conditions, longetivity of the tires, and of course it's always fun to be able to accelerate faster than anyone else on the road, so then performance.
Thanks for your time and help!

TobyJohnson11
11-08-10, 07:00 PM
It sounds to me like you have the 1SG package which is the best one you can get. Do you have a spoiler on the car? Also in your Nav system can you going the configure screen and switch from touring to performance mode? If so you have the performance package. Based on the tire size you listed I am sure you have the performance package! I can’t help you with tire options as I run the factory Michelin tire and don’t get that much snow. Others on here will be able to help you with winter tire options. Hope you like your car!

EChas3
11-08-10, 07:22 PM
I suggest P235/50R18 Bridgestone Blizzak's all around. Opinions differ but if you get much snow, the RWD STS benefits a great deal from real snow tires. Many members get a package deal from tire rack that includes a second set of wheels.

On my wife's RWD we let the tire busters have at it each November & April. For $70 per change, they swap, balance & set the TPMS. The STS holds an alignment well and they checked it last year for free. (The bad economy has made some dealers hungry.)

She runs Conti DW in the Summer. I've got AWD so I went with Conti DWS, but all-weather tires are a compromise. The OEM Michelin's are too hard, IMHO.

cadillac48170
11-08-10, 07:56 PM
I've bought tires for both of my STS's and I would never buy the Michelin Pilots unless you live where this NO snow. Try going to Tirerack.com and compare tires there, then look for the best price. I prefer Continental ExtremeContact DWS 235/50ZR17 for the front and 255/45ZR17 for the rear. Hope that helps!;)

CapsMeow
11-09-10, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the thoughts so far! After doing more research I'm leaning towards the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires, so thanks for the reassurance, Cadillac48170 I did see a review for them that said after about 10,000 miles that they were very loud. Anyone else experience this and what opinions do you have on this tire? EChas3, thanks for the advice, but *usually* we don't have TOO much snow in the mid-atlantic area (crossing my fingers last winter was a freak of nature.) I do want to feel comfortable driving my RWD STS in a couple of inches of snow when it does occur though. What compromises will I be making by purchasing All-Season tires? Though I'm far from being an expert in these matters, if I have R17 tires on the car right now (Michelin tires came on it when I bought it used about 3 years ago) then I have to stick to R17? On the store website I'm thinking of buying tires from, my trim options are "Luxury Performance Package" which gives me a list of R17 tires or "Premium Performance Package" which gives me a list of R18 tires. I guess bigger tires would increase performance, but I suppose that would mean changing the entire wheel? Toby, my car does have a spoiler and does give me the option of "touring" or "performance" in the Nav display, btw.

jedhead
11-09-10, 03:20 PM
I had a set of Continental DWS Extreme. They are very good all-season tires. The sidewalls are a little soft and turn in is not as crisp with summer tires. Also the rear end squirmed a lot when I accelerated hard. I did wear out the rear tires at 12.5K miles, but America's Tires gave me 65% discount on replacement tires under the wear out warranty. I don't think you will wear them out as fast as I did though.

Bob

TobyJohnson11
11-09-10, 03:21 PM
Sounds to me like you have the best package. You can go here http://www.compnine.com/index.php and put in your vin number and it will tell you every trim and option that came on the car.

EChas3
11-09-10, 10:07 PM
I've got about 12,000 miles on my Conti DWS 235/50R18's and IMHO they are still quieter, better riding and better handling than the OEM Michelin MXM's with 40,000 miles.

The wife's car has better tires than mine both Summer and Winter. Summer tires don't have to give up Summer grip to make Winter handling a bit better. Similarly, Blizzaks don't have to compromise Winter performance to be a bit better in Summer. They would wear excessively in Summer.

This is why an All-Season tire is a compromise. They do a fair job year 'round but don't excell at any time. I think AWD compensates for that weakness and convenience is more important to me.

CapsMeow
11-10-10, 11:50 AM
Since the 2005 STS has staggered wheels (P235/50R17 front, P255/45R17 back), do I HAVE to stick with that? It annoys me that I can not rotate the tires with this set-up which I assume wears the tires out more. Would it be dangerous or damaging to just get the same size tire so I can rotate them later to try to wear the tires out evenly?

EChas3
11-10-10, 10:00 PM
I changed to the OEM front tire size all around. Opinions differ.

JORB
11-22-10, 04:01 PM
I have a 2006 STS 1SG and have the same size all around, 255/45-18, and except for being noisy they corner and ride fine.

Subsailor613
11-22-10, 11:49 PM
CapsMeow, I changed my tires from the same all around, to the sizes you have,
the 45's on the rear give you the Same circumference,Keeping the
speedometer reading correctly.and 55's on the front.
With MUCH Larger rubber on the ground.
I used to spin tires at half gas,with the 55's on the rear,
very easily, so I LOVE the larger tires on the rear.
:cool2::cool2:You will NOt only have running traction, but stopping traction ALSO !
Have Fun.

EChas3
11-23-10, 10:10 PM
You don't see snow or much rain. Wider rubber only helps when hot & dry.

ezstriper
11-25-10, 10:08 AM
while we are on the tire deal, mine has michelin pilots stock size, and seem real noisy..almost to the point thinking you have a bad wheel bearing...anybody else notice the same ?? what works better ? thanks Rob

EChas3
11-25-10, 10:07 PM
I had a bad wheel bearing. I suspected the OEM rubber, too. It's not uncommon.

The outside shoulders of the front tires were worn anyway. They could have gone further but I was not impressed with Michelin MXM's. I love my Conti DWS. I'd suggest you consider their DW's. The wife's STS wore them April-October & they are a quiet, good handling & great riding tire.

ezstriper
11-25-10, 10:25 PM
thanks..even had mine into the dealer just to verify was not a bearing..tires not worn unevenly at all...still have 50+% tread left.....so wait a little longer on replacing them..

CTBB
11-26-10, 10:40 AM
A little more input on tires. PO subbed same size, 235/50X17 Michelin MXM4's all around on my STS, despite the 1/2" wider rear wheels. I had occasion to replace the fronts last week, and after being way less than impressed with the Michelins, I bought the Conti DWS in the 235/50X17 size, figuring to replace the rears with 255/45X17s when it becomes necessary. I'm not crazy about mixing the tire brands and treads, but after being forced repeatedly by my AWD cars to buy tires in sets of 4 I'm willing to wait and see.

A couple of comments about the DWS tire before I go. They have a nice rim protection feature like the Bridgestone 960 AS's on my other car, that protects the rim edge from curbing. The tread compound "feels" a bit softer than the Michelins, and grippier. They certainly "look" more aggressive. After initial drive and 100 miles of break-in I'm very impressed with the DWS. Better than I expected from an All Season performance tire!

Glenn

02603sec
05-24-11, 05:36 AM
I have staggered 17's on my 05 1sF. The Falken Ziex512's rode nice, and were quiet. They have an extra bead around the rim for curb contact. They are slick, however and it looks like I'll get less then 20k out of them. Not sure what I'm going with next. The softer compounds ride better, quieter but don't last long. I have three cars, 2 motorcycles, truck and boat trailer. I am always in the market for tires. Tire shopping has become very complicated, especially with staggered setups. I rotate them anyway, because the rubber wears so fast. Most of the STS mileage has been on trips from Phila to Chicago. You can literally monitor the wear on the Falkens on such a trip. Tirerack is a pain in the butt for saving only $20 a tire, I have better things to do.

EChas3
05-24-11, 08:12 PM
I think highly of Continentals. They use a soft compound but both the DWS & DW are wearing well on our cars.

Even with the different width's of the 17" wheels, it's only 1/2 inch and you can run the same tire on all corners.