: Audio system - annoying whistle / whine - suppressor required?

ColoradoCurries
11-08-10, 05:40 PM
My 2007 ESV has a very annoying high-pitched whistle / whine coming from the audio system, which goes up and down in pitch in parallel with the revs of the motor. I remember this kind of thing 20 years ago, and the solution was to install some kind of in-line suppressor.

Anyone else suffer this problem? Anyone figured out a fix?

brk
11-08-10, 05:44 PM
Yes, it's alternator whine, and you'll need a noise filter circuit on the power wire(s).

http://www.powerwerx.com/oem-connectors-filters/dc-line-noise-filter-powerpole.html

There are lots of results if you Google around. Check your grounds first though, you may be able to solve it by making sure all the components are properly grounded, but in my experience that rarely offers a full cure.

krieghoff
11-08-10, 06:20 PM
Where does that plug into?? Easy to install??

ColoradoCurries
11-08-10, 06:53 PM
Great question krieghoff - looks scary to us non-technical types. Are you suffering the same problem??

brk
11-08-10, 06:57 PM
That would go inline (on the power wires) with whatever device(s) are picking up the alternator whine.

Headunits, external satellite receivers and things that deal with video seem to be the most common culprits.

What do you have installed in your setup? It might also be possible to narrow it down to a specific device by temporarily pulling some connections and see if you only get the whine when a certain component is installed.