: Engine dies

Golfpro22
11-08-10, 12:05 PM
Ok, I have an 07 ESV. Approx 50k miles, purchased used about 7k miles ago. I purchased this specifically to tow my 21' Malibu boat. I have towed locally numerous times with no issue. About 3 months ago I towed about 300 miles through the desert, on the return trip home I noticed a severe loss in power and MPG's went from 11 - 12 to 9.0. It felt as if I had lost 100 Hp, I pulled into a rest area and the engine coughed, spluttered and died. After messing with fuses and letting it rest for about half an hour, it fired up. I babied it home and took it to the dealership. I was told the OEM sensor was bad, injectors were fouled etc. All was clear by the dealer. My last trip was to lake powell, about a 700 mile tow for me, almost the same story, on the return trip home, died on the offramp in Vegas. Had to get towed off, half hour later, fired up. Babied home at 9.0 MPG. I don't believe my dealer has a clue what is going on, hoping for some help here. Sorry for the long post and appreciate your help! Best, J.B

evois
11-08-10, 03:15 PM
fuel filter?

Golfpro22
11-08-10, 03:31 PM
That was one of my guesses the first time it happened. That doesn't explain the fouled injectors. The dealership called and have said that the main CPU is overheating. Explained that it is located behind the radiator next to the fuse box, in a "very hot area". They are going to replace the CPU. I am having trouble believing that they are fixing the problem for 2 two reasons. A.) If that is the problem, they are not fixing it by replacing it. It is just going to overheat again by their admission of the location. B.) Why was this not looked at the first time it happened and replaced. BTW, I have never had a check engine light or any other code thrown, I feel they are just throwing darts. I can not replicate the problem. Towing my family across the Mojave desert to only have this happen is a bit over the top... I am just hoping that someone here has had this issue. Fingers crossed!

cadmanchris
11-08-10, 08:02 PM
I had a member here with a similiar problem. When he arrived to the my dealership, it had a code for the IMS sensor in the transmission. Replaced that and it has been fine since. Also, wiring should be checked by the front driveshaft for chafing. HTH.

Golfpro22
11-16-10, 04:57 PM
I had a member here with a similiar problem. When he arrived to the my dealership, it had a code for the IMS sensor in the transmission. Replaced that and it has been fine since. Also, wiring should be checked by the front driveshaft for chafing. HTH.

So your saying that there should be a code? There is not one, I had this tested at two different places. Is this something else to worry about knowing that it is not sending codes? Based on the lack of responses, I assume that I am pretty much alone on this issue? :mad:

cadmanchris
11-16-10, 08:12 PM
The first time that I received this truck, there was no codes in the ECM or TCM. Upon his second visit, the TCM stored a code for the IMS (internal mode switch) inside the trans. Make sure that TCM gets checked for codes. (trans control module)