: Questions about 73 Sedan Deville?

ChristianV
09-18-04, 05:07 PM
I have some questions for you Cadillac guru's. I'm not that experienced with cars(but I'm learning fast!) so some of your guidance would definitely be appreciated! I just bought a 1973 Cadillac Sedan Deville in July and there have been a few things which have totally been stumping me!

1) There appears to be a pedal on the left side right above and next to the door. It looks to me to be an emergency brake pedal. BUT I cannot find anywhere you would be able to release the emergency brake. Is that in fact what it is?

2) On the ceiling in the back there is a tiny box with two small red lights. I also noticed on my hood there are little boxes on each side in the corner's which at nights shine red lights. I assume these two things are related but what do they do? Very strange.

3) I really dig how you switch on the high beams with a small button you press with your foot. But I have to constantly keep my "high beams" on because when they are off only the driver side light stays on. But when I turn on my beams all four lights turn on so I know it's not the bulbs which need to be replaced. Anybody ever dealt with this?

4) In the dash there is a little analog clock which only works from time to time. I have stopeed setting it cause it's unreliable. ANyone know how to set it so it always stays on?

Any input you guys might have is much appreciated! I love this car and intend to keep it until the day I die. Thanks again.

AElayyat
09-18-04, 05:28 PM
Yeah man those 73 Devilles are nice rides with that 472. If I wasn't clear about explaining something just let me know and I'll try to clear it up.

1) That pedal is the parking/emergancy brake, there might be a manual release for it somewhere underneath the dash or on the parking brake unit but the way it works in Caddys is the pedal has an auto vaccum release when you move the gear selector from park to reverse (parking brake should release), the brake should stay engaged in park and neutral.

2) Those "evil eyes looking at you in the rear view mirror" (as I call them) are you tail light monotors they should light up when you hit the breaks, lights on, turn signal, hazzards, etc. Same for the two in front except (if there are three little bults up front)they indicate you parking, low, and high beams, if it is just one light in each box (I'm not too sure) but more than likely its for you headlights (on/off) and/or turn signal. For front and rear they are optical fiber wires running from your lights to the indicator boxes.

3) Check the wires going to the headlights and the wire harness that plugs into the headlights that could be your problem, if you are sure its not the headlight.

4) Don't know much about the 70's Caddy clocks except 9 out of 10 Caddys have dead clocks in the dash.

ChristianV
09-18-04, 05:48 PM
@AElayyat. Sweet man thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. You're right they are exactly like evil eyes. That also probably explains why on the hood only the left side evil eye turns on cause the right side headlight isn't tip-top so it's telling me this.

barge master
09-18-04, 05:52 PM
There is a high and low filament in the low beam light . It should be just the bulb. BTW Christian, I'm working on that parts car thing. I'll keep you posted.

AElayyat
09-18-04, 06:06 PM
@AElayyat. Sweet man thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. You're right they are exactly like evil eyes. That also probably explains why on the hood only the left side evil eye turns on cause the right side headlight isn't tip-top so it's telling me this.

Yeah sure no problem. Enjoy you Caddy.

barge master
09-18-04, 06:15 PM
Sorry to break the news Christian, I went back and looked at a picture of your car. The one I'm looking at is a CDV, the C standing for coupe. I don't have the panels you need dude. I'll keep my eyes open for you though, there's no telling what I'll stumble across.

ChristianV
09-18-04, 06:44 PM
@Bargemaster I appreciate you checking for me man. Let me know if you ever run into anything promising. In the meantime, I'll keep checking the junkyards and e-bay. It's O.K it's worth the wait. That's what makes it so fun ya know?!

luddyludwick
09-18-04, 10:37 PM
Is it possible your headlight problem has something to do with the Guidematic automatic headlights? The guidematic gets funky sometimes and I know you can get stuck in high or low beam...the guidematic on my Brougham is not working now, but I'm going to try to diagnose it...soon!

That said, I think the filament thing is probably the likely solution.

DaveSmed
09-19-04, 03:38 PM
I would have to agree, likely the filament. When you switch the high beams on, the outer lights are dual purpose, they have high and low filaments, like most cars that only have two headlights. The inner lights are high beam only filaments. So when you switch the high beams on, you have 4 high beams, not 2 high, 2 low. The inner bulbs should have two prong connectors, the outers three.

ChristianV
09-19-04, 06:39 PM
So the easiest fix would be to simply replace the bulbs right? I'll try this on the two outer lights. People are probably getting annoyed at all four lights being on. Luckily they're not all too bright.

barge master
09-19-04, 07:44 PM
Christian, I was on the MTS website 500cid.com and on their trading board there were some people parting out a 73 SDV. Check it out.

DaveSmed
09-20-04, 01:01 AM
Not all too bright..... They wouldn't be the old incandescents would they? The halogens will make a BIG difference. I replaced all 4 on my car, even though the old T3s were still working.

67SupRFlyCoupe
09-21-04, 05:37 AM
So the easiest fix would be to simply replace the bulbs right? I'll try this on the two outer lights. People are probably getting annoyed at all four lights being on. Luckily they're not all too bright.
Yeah I got the same thing with my 67 CDV Until I replace the bulb I roll with the highs on the only people that bitch seem to be the ones that know 4 lights means brights are on, I dont think most people even care!!

ChristianV
09-21-04, 10:27 PM
Yeah I got the same thing with my 67 CDV Until I replace the bulb I roll with the highs on the only people that bitch seem to be the ones that know 4 lights means brights are on, I dont think most people even care!!

Absolutely right! I think most people just assume that's the way the cars were built then. Luckily like I said they aren't too bright so it actually looks kinda cool.

@bargemaster. Thanks for the link. I posted that I was looking for those panels, hopefully I can get lucky. Again thanks for watching out for another Caddy nut!

Night Wolf
09-21-04, 11:25 PM
Yeah, all the questiosn are answered correctly....

about the headlight thing though... my '79 is the same way.... the lights are not even halogen... all 4 does look nice... although I did not know the outter loghts were dual filament... that woudl explain alot.. like me seeing where the low beams would shine, then try to see where they shined when the highbeams were on...

many times I kept the brights on and people don't realize it... they are not bright at all... big SUV's with fog lights are worse... the low beams are actually worse then the highbeams

When I have $80 to throw around for lights, I want to replace all 4 headlights inthe '79 with Silver Stars... that will be really nice... but each headlight is $20... ugh... so for now the stock lights stay... they all work, and being that they are dim, they really glow nice at night... makes the car look sweet...

DaveSmed
09-22-04, 12:19 AM
One problem with dim headlights that I'm willing to bet most here are dealing with on older cars is voltage drop. These cars never did have real efficient electrical systems. Using a relay to ensure full voltage to the lights is said to substantaly increase light output. If you have a voltmeter, you can check this for yourself. take the headlights out, but leave them plugged in to the connector. Start the car, and measure voltage at the battery, or alternator output terminal (battery is prob easier) Now turn the headlights on, and backprobe the connector, leaving the lit headlamp plugged in. Compare the two voltages. They should be close, but there usually not.

ChristianV
09-23-04, 10:31 AM
I have another question. I don't know if every old Caddy does this, but when I pull the latch to open my hood, it unlatches, but on the right side of the main latch(up in the front) it sometimes still appears to be fastened in. So some of the time I'm able to pop the hood. I've tried messing around with the door locks to see if maybe this has anything to do with it. That sort of worked for awhile but now that doesn't even work. Is this normal?

Sincerely,

Confused.

Edit: OK I'm a retard. Easy Fix. I managed to get it open and then WD-40'd the hell out of the front latch. Bada-Bang Bada-Bing it works like a charm now.

Another question though, how hard is it to replace the vinyl(rubber?) liner/stripping in between the front and rear windows?