: 2006 DTS headlights

Invar
11-07-10, 11:25 PM
Any information on changing the upper (yellow) bulbs with the embossed lenses? I thought they were the fog lights but one worked and now both quit. I thought they turned on with the fog light switch when the one actually turned on. The car is new to me and hard to find any info on the bulb number and color and cost or how to change it.

All info will be appreciated.

Before I forget, I am also looking for OEM chrome 18" wheels with or without tires for the DTS 2006 Performance model.

DC

ind at ind dot cnc dot net

Superjim
11-08-10, 08:30 AM
Any information on changing the upper (yellow) bulbs with the embossed lenses? I thought they were the fog lights but one worked and now both quit. I thought they turned on with the fog light switch when the one actually turned on. The car is new to me and hard to find any info on the bulb number and color and cost or how to change it.

All info will be appreciated.

Before I forget, I am also looking for OEM chrome 18" wheels with or without tires for the DTS 2006 Performance model.

DC

ind at ind dot cnc dot net

The yellow bulbs are the DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS.
The FOG LIGHTS are in the lower valence under the bumper.
Sorry I can't help with how to change them.

Jim

billdaman
11-08-10, 08:08 PM
Could this problem be related to a fuse inline with the headlamps?

RippyPartsDept
11-08-10, 08:32 PM
probably just bulbs since they didn't go out at the same time

CaddiLukKing
11-12-10, 10:17 AM
i always turn my running Daylights off, after i start the car, ALWAYS!!!... a couple of months back, the little white parking light burned out on mine, bought the little bulb for $2.79 cents... to replace it, dealer wants $129.89. one day i will attempt to do it myself because its on the left side where the air box sits, gonna take the air box out and see if i can get to the back that way, without having to take the entire bumper off..

TulsaVic
11-12-10, 10:38 AM
I frequently drive around with the running lights off, because I switch the AUTO light switch off before turning the key. I don't like the HID headlights coming on in the garage during the day, first when I turn the key to the first detent, then again when the car starts, only to go off when I exit the garage. Unnecessary abuse and those suckers are expensive to replace..... Unless it's early morning or close to sunset, I just don't bother turning the switch back to AUTO after exiting the garage. (I also turn the switch off before entering the garage, also to avoid an unnecessary cycling of the HID's).

Yellowelephant
11-13-10, 03:34 PM
Canadians driving a DTS might be interested in knowing there is a way to turn the running lights off (although illegal in Canada). I don't want to use up unnecessary life of the HID's so before I start the car I turn and hold the light switch in the off position while at the same time starting the car. Once the car is started I release the light switch and it automatically goes to "Auto" but now all the lights on the front of the car are off. I then just push the fog lights to come on. These act as my running lights for legal purposes. The headlights will remain off until I manually turn them back on. A message on the DIC will suggest when they should be on. When I shut the car off all lights go out. (no dead battery in the morning) I have also turned off the "Approach Lighting" in the DIC.

ffrog
11-13-10, 07:53 PM
Canadians driving a DTS might be interested in knowing there is a way to turn the running lights off (although illegal in Canada). I don't want to use up unnecessary life of the HID's so before I start the car I turn and hold the light switch in the off position while at the same time starting the car. Once the car is started I release the light switch and it automatically goes to "Auto" but now all the lights on the front of the car are off. I then just push the fog lights to come on. These act as my running lights for legal purposes. The headlights will remain off until I manually turn them back on. A message on the DIC will suggest when they should be on. When I shut the car off all lights go out. (no dead battery in the morning) I have also turned off the "Approach Lighting" in the DIC.

Thanks for the tip. This may solve my problem. I will try soonest and then try to get in the habit of doing it every time I use the car. I hate it when you start the car, the light go on and then back off.

Thanks.

Yellowelephant
11-14-10, 11:16 PM
It would be nice if someone could provide the step by step process of replacing the headlights on the 06 DTS. Even better with pictures :thumbsup: If anyone knows of a site that has this information it would be appreciated.

tedcmiller
11-15-10, 12:49 AM
I think the unit contaning the high and low beams, the turn signals/running lights, and the small incandescent lamps is supposed be replaced as a unit. That is, replacement of individual bulbs is not described in the owner's or service manual. A very expensive and time consuming process. While it might be possible to replace individual lamps in the unit, the process of removing the unit for this purpose is still time consuming.

Yellowelephant
11-16-10, 02:32 PM
I understand that the entire headlight assembly has to come out to change the lights within. The HID is a D1S bulb that can be replaced. I also understand that the ballast is in the assembly also.
The instructions I would like is how to remove the assembly. I understand the wheel liner and front bumper cover has to be at least partly removed. I have searched the net to find instructions to remove the assembly with no luck. If anyone could post a link or the actual instructions I would appreciate the info. Thanks.

RippyPartsDept
11-16-10, 04:28 PM
To do the lamp you'll first need to do this:

Preliminary Procedure
Remove the front bumper fascia. Refer to Front Bumper Fascia Replacement .
Remove the wheelhouse liner in order to access the rear headlamp assembly nut.

The bumper replacement includes this:

Preliminary Procedures
Remove the front compartment sight shield. Refer to Front Compartment Sight Shields Replacement .
Remove the front air deflector. Refer to Front Bumper Fascia Air Deflector Replacement

and so on...

Yellowelephant
11-16-10, 08:15 PM
To do the lamp you'll first need to do this:

The bumper replacement includes this:

and so on...

Thanks for the info.

bluescat
12-07-10, 08:18 PM
I'm having a problem where my DTRs don't come on at all, but the headlights do instead. It doesn't matter how bright it is outside, the headlights (and tail lights) stay on all the time. The switch is set to auto, and the windshield wipers are off. Any ideas what this could be? This is an '06 DTS.

Superjim
12-07-10, 09:05 PM
I'm having a problem where my DTRs don't come on at all, but the headlights do instead. It doesn't matter how bright it is outside, the headlights (and tail lights) stay on all the time. The switch is set to auto, and the windshield wipers are off. Any ideas what this could be? This is an '06 DTS.

check to see if there is anything covering the light sensor at the FRONT CENTER of the dash.
That is the sensor that controls the auto headlights.

If there is nothing covering it...it may have gone bad.
Mine takes till about 10am to turn my lights off and it turns them back on about 5pm...well after the sun is up and way before the sun sets.
I need to take it in and have the sensor replaced.

Texas Jim

dts066
08-23-11, 01:22 AM
Has anyone heard of a recall on the headlights on the DTS 06 models? Mine go off on there own shop said the balance getting to hot but it will do it in the winter time soon after starting up...thanks DAN

Superjim
08-23-11, 08:38 AM
Has anyone heard of a recall on the headlights on the DTS 06 models? Mine go off on there own shop said the balance getting to hot but it will do it in the winter time soon after starting up...thanks DAN

I had to have the "BALLAST" replaced on mine...
Mine was doing the same thing..

Texas Jim

ogbuehi
08-23-11, 10:04 AM
I wonder why they made these bulbs so difficult to remove? I could imagine ten years down the road, this is not the kind of hassle I want to be dealing with just to replace my headlights.

RippyPartsDept
08-23-11, 11:06 AM
outside winter temps are no match for the heat generated by HID lamps and their electronics...

Rusty058
08-23-11, 09:33 PM
I had to have the "BALLAST" replaced on mine...
Mine was doing the same thing..

Texas Jim

Same here:bigroll:

BeehiveState2006DTS
08-29-11, 02:19 PM
I just took our new to us (since February) DTS into the local Cadillac dealer. The left (drivers side) headlight would flicker and go out. They just called and said that the HID bulb was bad and that the part was $300 and labor $218. Are we being taken to the cleaner on this?

Do they really remove the bumper to get to the headlights? Who designed that? This is our first GM product after 25 years of marriage. Was Ford and Jeep. None of those required dismantling a car to change a headlight!

Also the rear 3rd brake light cover (the red one in the middle of the trunk was cracked throughout the plastic (small vertical cracks that drove my wife nuts). They want $230 installed to replace it. Is anyone aware of anything the manufacturer has done to correct any design defect on those?

derekbroerse
08-29-11, 06:11 PM
I just took our new to us (since February) DTS into the local Cadillac dealer. The left (drivers side) headlight would flicker and go out. They just called and said that the HID bulb was bad and that the part was $300 and labor $218. Are we being taken to the cleaner on this?

Do they really remove the bumper to get to the headlights? Who designed that? This is our first GM product after 25 years of marriage. Was Ford and Jeep. None of those required dismantling a car to change a headlight!

Also the rear 3rd brake light cover (the red one in the middle of the trunk was cracked throughout the plastic (small vertical cracks that drove my wife nuts). They want $230 installed to replace it. Is anyone aware of anything the manufacturer has done to correct any design defect on those?

You and I are in the same boat. I just bought a pair of bulbs off ebay shipped to my door for $50. Haven't attempted the install yet, but the concencus is that the bumper needs to come off. GM must assume these bulbs last forever? NO EXCUSE for this... and I'm a die hard GM owner from a GM family.

As for the third brake light, there is a guy on ebay right now selling smoked covers for them. Looks black until you push the brakes, then it lights up. Should cover the cracks nicely! I am waiting on delivery of one for mine...

phigment
09-02-11, 01:26 AM
Already done this a few times. Gonna do it again this week to replace a DRL. This is the basic process. The bumper has to come loose but it does NOT have to come off. These are the steps ive refined since doing this a few times:

1. Pop your hood and remove the clips that hold the shroud on the radiator. They have a pin in the middle that you push down slightly and then just pull the whole clip up. There are six or so I think.

2. For each headlight assy you will need to remove 2 bolts(i think) on the top. One you can see plainly. The other is down in the "hole". When you get the shroud off you will see what I mean. You will need an extension to get a socket down there to it.

3. Jack up your car and put some jack stands underneath. Take the tire off the side you are wanting to replace. There are several clips holding the fender well cover on. Use a flat head screw driver to pull the "center" of the clips up so you can remove the clip itself. There are five or six of these. The two at the very bottom are "different" than the rest but come off the same way. Take off enough clips to easy bend the cover over the brake caliper and out of your way.

4. Unplug the wire connecting to the fog lamp

5. There are 3 nuts and one bolt we need to remove. Look above the fog lamp and you will see one bolt. It blends in but its there. Remove it. Forward slightly you will see two long nuts that hold the bumper on that side. Remove them. Once you break them lose you can twist them off with your fingers.

6. Now for the last nut. When you are looking toward the front of the car from inside the fender well you will see two "caves". One is the bumper which holds the fog light etc. The other is directly behind the headlight assy and is above the bumper. Use a light to see. There is a nut holding the headlight assy on. Remove it.

7. Now use the flat of you hand or whatever else you may have that will not damage the bumper and tap/hit/motivate the bumper to move forward slightly. It needs to move forward maybe 7 inches or so if memory serves.

8. Now remove your headlight assy. It is in there tight and you have to angle it just right to get the balast past metal bumper area. Do not let the bumper hang off the front of the car. The parking assist sensor wire harness is hung off the right(passenger side) and putting pressure on it could pop a sensor out or worse.

You do not have to remove a single clip/bolt under the car. The headlight assy has one big connector so if you need to replace the HID just unplug it and take it in the house and replace the bulb.

I may have missed a bolt/clip count on top but I think I got pretty close. Its late. Sorry. This sounds like a bad deal just to change a bulb but honestly it will only take maybe an hour at most if you have done it once and possibly 1.5 hours if you have never done it before. Ill try to take some pics and write a proper method in the coming days. The pictures will make everything easier and this mysterious overly expensive job will be very easy. I hope this helps. I went through a lot of work the first time doing this and the second time was easier and the third time was cake and now I don't even blink.

Ninja edit: Concerning the two nuts holding the bumper on, the bolts they attach to are used as guides to put the bumper back in the correct place. Look at this when you put the bumper back on and make sure both bolts go back in their "slot" and slide all the way down before you screw and tighten the nuts back up.

derekbroerse
09-02-11, 12:24 PM
Great How-To... just a couple questions....

1) Do I need to undo both sides of the bumper or just the side of the light I need to replace? 7" isn't that much over the length of the bumper but I don't wanna harm the paint by too much flexing either.

2) Is there a way to bench test the bulbs and ballasts to determine which is the culprit?

phigment
09-02-11, 12:35 PM
Dup. See below.

phigment
09-02-11, 12:40 PM
You only have to undo the side you are working on. The bumper has plenty of flex. You can replace the bulb, plug it in and turn it on. Wait a few minutes and see what happens. I'm sure there is a way with a multimeter but I've not ever done it.

TulsaVic
09-02-11, 12:57 PM
Reading the procedure above, I wonder if anyone from Cadillac or GM is reading this post. Do they realize how totally stupid a design this is--unless of course the bulb and ballast were to be garanteed for the life of the car. I sure hope GM fired the jerk that designed it that way....

RippyPartsDept
09-02-11, 01:27 PM
GM doesn't build the cars for the DIY owners... the owners they are going after are the ones who pay the dealer to do this kind of stuff
you know, the luxury car market

maybe it will comfort you to know that the technicians and mechanics aren't happy about these kinds of design decisions either

Leo George Jr
09-02-11, 05:42 PM
Try to clean the sensor with some alcohol on the tip of a Q-Tip, it helped mine.

derekbroerse
09-03-11, 05:30 AM
GM doesn't build the cars for the DIY owners... the owners they are going after are the ones who pay the dealer to do this kind of stuff
you know, the luxury car market

maybe it will comfort you to know that the technicians and mechanics aren't happy about these kinds of design decisions either

I'm sorry, but what you are saying is a BS excuse. Are you suggesting that "The Rich" have no problem dropping their car off at the dealer for most of a day and getting an $800 bill to change a headlight bulb? NO, because that is generally how they got rich in the first place, by being on the "thrifty" side. There may be a vocal few that like to blow money just because they can, but I seriously doubt they are the majority.

No, this ranks up there with moves like holding in the key with a dead battery and not being able to open the trunk to get your jumper cables. Not everyone, even if they can afford to just call someone, wants to wait an hour or more for a boost from a tow truck! It certainly doesn't take a DIY'er to see what is a good design and what is a bad design... not only is this a bad design (especially with the number of people complaining about headlight problems on these cars), it's also a completely unneccessary problem. I think MOST people would expect better from a premium car designer's ideas. NO ONE likes unneccessary maintenance costs. And the "Free Maintenance Package" is another joke--nothing but a way for dealers to try and rape the unknowing... at least that is what our local dealer has been trying on my old man with his '08... a guy who put 41 years in at GM in St. Catharines.

What this truly is, is one of those things that would drive someone in the luxury car market to try a Benz or Lexus next time instead! (not that they are without flaws either, but they will find that out for themselves) I guess I am just very disappointed in them. We are more than capable of doing this here and better equipped than your average shop, and I'm already hating the idea of having to do this.

mike5514
09-03-11, 08:26 AM
I have to defend GM here. Style sells cars, I would think GM would like to pop rivet a big old light on the front of your dts but no one would buy them.

Look at what we dont do we dont change/clean plugs at 10000 mi., chg wires at 30000, adjust/replace points constantly, water pumps at 50000 mi, etc. Get close to 70000 miles start thinking junkyard for the old rust bucket.

You have a smaller tighter package that performs better with better gas mileage, less routine maintenance less repairs and last longer.

One member said 1and1/2 hrs to chg. cost of bulb couple of bucks. Cheap and quick works for me! Mike

ogbuehi
09-03-11, 09:17 AM
Well I can tell you that the DTS does not get better gas mileage than the older Caddies. My Deville costs much less in gas to drive than my DTS. And my Deville requires premium gas! In another thread owners of the 2000-2003 DHS stated that they were getting much better gas mileage than the current DTS. And I don't see why having less maintenance requires you to design a lightbulb enclosure that requires you to remove the bumber and wheels to change it! That is insane and I know they could've designed it with easier access than that.

RippyPartsDept
09-03-11, 09:42 AM
GM doesn't build the cars for the DIY owners
i stand by that statement

maybe i should have left the other parts out because it detracted from my main point

RippyPartsDept
09-03-11, 09:44 AM
Well I can tell you that the DTS does not get better gas mileage than the older Caddies.

you should be getting 15mpg city and 22mpg highway
(well that's what the EPA numbers are)

in my '99 Deville I get about the same as those numbers

phigment
09-03-11, 09:55 AM
I was thinking most luxury car manufacturers are doing things like this. So I looked around. BMW HID are not user replaceable. The procedure for replacing them is similar but not quite as bad as the Cadillac. I understand their reasoning is "the HID bulb will last the life of the car". But as is typically the case, that simply isn't true. Adding to that, every other bulb in the headlight assembly is not HID. On that note, if you decide to replace the HID bulb you might want to spend the extra 10 bucks and replace every other bulb while your at it. There is nothing quite like going through changing a HID bulb and then having that tiny little parking light DIE 10 days later. It'll make ya feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I agree Cadillac engineering could have made better decisions here. I have a very hard time believing that they were thinking of the customer when they designed them like this. By the way the CTS and STS are the same. In the end im not going to get upset about it. I can deal with it. My old car was an Impala. Ive always wanted a Deville DTS. I just loved the look of the car. When I was sick to death of my Impala I started looking and happened on my 06 DTS at a Chrysler dealership of all places. I stared at it online for a solid month before even walking on the lot. The first time I sat in that Tehama leather seat was like coming home. I started the engine, turned the Bose up and took it for a test drive and absolutely knew that the car would be mine no matter how many used car salesman I had to grind up to get it. To this day I have ZERO buyers remorse. In fact it makes me a little happy every time I step inside it. Ill drive this car til the wheels fall off. Its the last of its kind. A relic of my fathers generation and it makes me kinda sad that its going away. So yeah, if I have to spend a Saturday morning replacing a light bulb every two years to keep it, then you wont hear me complain to much. It'll give me a chance to check out the brake pads. Im not saying you don't have a right to complain. I just don't think it will change anything. All car manufacturers are making their vehicles so that the average joe can't work on them. Even for "normal" user replaceable items. No offense intended.

derekbroerse
09-03-11, 04:49 PM
i stand by that statement

maybe i should have left the other parts out because it detracted from my main point

And I stand by mine, its completely irrelevant if it's built for a DYI'er, a drop-it-off-at-a-dealership'er, a pro-mechanic, or someone like me who is in between. It comes down to the customer has to pay for it, and the manufacturer says sorry about your luck. Some poor fool still has to do ridiculous amounts of work for what should be a simple maintenance item.

This wasn't a mistake either, I'm sure. This was done to make it simple and cheap on the assembly line, and to hell with whoever buys it, we already have their money. Back to my second point about driving away loyal customers, something a large manufacturer should be cherishing in these hard economic times.

I think I got better mileage with my '96 as well, but I may be driving this one harder since my '96 decided it didn't like having 1st gear anyways after a fault in the traction control/abs system that wasn't worth paying to fix. Sure made that car into a gutless wonder for getting into busy traffic (unsafe) and makes this one feel like a rocket ship in comparison.

MeTaK
09-06-11, 02:57 AM
this is just absolutely rediculous, almost as bad as having to unbolt and lower engines to get at spark plugs.

With all the 3D CAD software used for packaging products under the hood, you would think they'd check and or protect for such missery that would be had at the dealer garage..

RippyPartsDept
09-06-11, 10:37 AM
well apparently you don't have to take off the bumper cover ('http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-dts-forum-2006-through-2012/239465-how-change-headlight-bulb-s-2006-a.html#post2707038')

great post phigment! exactly the kind of stuff this forum was made for

derekbroerse
09-09-11, 01:55 AM
He moved it forward, it still had to be undone on the side he was working on.

I still would like to know how to diagnose if the problem is the bulb or the ballast before tearing it apart! Does ANYONE here know? Does it show in the FSM?

mike5514
09-09-11, 09:50 AM
Cheap! I dont think cheap has much to do with it. Design is no 1 safety is no 2. Meeting the crash safety standards while giving a pleasing look all in the confinds of a intrigal front end while allowing for removal gives the engineers fits. Cheap is a goal but somewhat down the list.

But I have a thought make the light assy. similar to the fuel door push on it and it will pop out (after releasing a safety cable or rod inside the engine compartment) change the bulbs push the unit back in and it will click into place. The cage around it will have to be made more rigid to keep the front end integrity but I think its doable. Dont forget its my idea and if a car company uses my idea Id like to be compensated.Mike

ogbuehi
09-09-11, 05:03 PM
I'm curious as to how much crash safety has to do with the design of how the bulb is accessed. Because I can't see how much of an impact the front bulbs will make in a crash.

Cadillac Cust Svc
10-08-11, 03:06 PM
@TulsaVic, I have read your post in regards to the design of the 2006 DTS headlights. Thank you for your feedback about this. I am saving this information. By doing this, your comments will be able to be reviewed by various departments throughout General Motors.

Please, don't hesitate to contact us in the future with comments, questions and/or concerns.

Michelle, Cadillac Customer Service