: cold start engine noise

tonyescalade
11-07-10, 08:37 PM
07 escalade ugly engine noise on cold starts,possible lifter noise or piston slap,95% gone when warmed up,truck runs grate never any problems i have 150000km apprx 93000miles this is the problem,dealer willing to rebuilt eng, if truck goes in on a hook(engine competely gone)they will put a crated eng brand new this eng does not want to die is it worth the trouble or will eng run a normal life noise does not bother me any longer.

Rolex
11-07-10, 09:08 PM
07 escalade ugly engine noise on cold starts,possible lifter noise or piston slap,95% gone when warmed up,truck runs grate never any problems i have 150000km apprx 93000miles this is the problem,dealer willing to rebuilt eng, if truck goes in on a hook(engine competely gone)they will put a crated eng brand new this eng does not want to die is it worth the trouble or will eng run a normal life noise does not bother me any longer.
Read more at http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-2007/214668-cold-start-engine-noise.html?ktrack=kcplink

My head hurts.

Sentence structure ftl.

sksmoker
11-07-10, 11:56 PM
Ok, lets break this down.

Are you hearing piston slap or valve train noise? The two are vastly different! There is a website out there with actual piston slap noise files you can play to listen. If it isn't piston slap, but valve train noise, I believe there was a TSB on this engine to replace some valve train parts to get rid of the issue. I'll have to dig a bit to see what I can find.

PreachRR
11-08-10, 09:54 PM
My head hurts.

Sentence structure ftl.

I was just thinking the same thing? LOL!!

lsf627
11-20-10, 11:44 PM
I have a '07 ESV, and when it's cold, it sounds like a Diesel. Dealer said they didn't hear anything. My neighbor asked me when Cadillac made diesel Escalades :(. Been making noise for the last 20,000 miles, and only has 44k on it now. Very annoying.

Reeler
11-21-10, 10:17 PM
I just dropped off my 07 90K (knocking noise from engine when cold) at Ed Morse in Tampa and they are tearing into the engine to see what is causing the noise... don't know the diagnosis or out come yet but I will keep you posted.

07maralade
11-21-10, 11:44 PM
Let us know. Thank God for 100k PT warranties.

Reeler
11-24-10, 11:30 AM
Well they decided to try to decarbon the top end per a TSB first... I picked up the truck this morning and the noise is still there it happens at 1500 - 1700 RPM when driving. I am taking it back next week for further diagnosis.

2007XTSDub
11-24-10, 06:18 PM
Get them to take bottom end apart! Tell them to check specs on pistons. I bet the are not within tolerances. I had dealer do the same with mine and got all new pistons rods bearings etc. All under warranty! I have zero noise now and engine runs much better I might add.

Zhariak
11-25-10, 10:33 AM
I donno if this is related, sometime ago I made a thread about cold starts.

Here in Calgary, Alberta, we've had some cold cold days the past few days, actually hit -30 degrees celsius.

My 08 ESV makes a GROSS sound when starting cold. As I start the vehicle, makes a grinding noise for about 1 second as it starts turning, as soon as the engine is started it does sound "odd" since it's cold, but nothing out of the normal.

I've got 90,000km on mine (I still donno how I managed to do that in 24 months, lol). But no other engine issues.

getlade247
11-27-10, 10:30 PM
Hey guys, i have a 07 ext with 76000km on it..all of a sudden there came the dreaded piston slap..like starting up a deisel in the morning...so i decided to take it to the dealership and as i exspected they tell me when i pick it up(the next day) " we couldent hear the noise"...wtf are the serious. When i drove it back, there it was again...so once again the next week i returned it again, but this time when i picked it up they told me " this noise is normal for this engine and will not cause any damage". This is what was typed on the print out paper they give you. hhhmmmm :S now what.
i even switched to full synthetic oil to hopefully soften the noise but nothing..didnt help at all.
This noise sickens me

2007XTSDub
11-28-10, 01:11 PM
Take it to dealer like I did! Don't leave until they agree to fix it. I did it and got all new pistons rods bearings all covered under warranty.

getlade247
11-28-10, 01:22 PM
that first (when starting) sound you talk about, thats lasts for a quick second, when its really REALLY cold out is very common. Im here in calgary alberta as well, and i dont have a garage. My 02 escalade made that (buzz/grind) sound, and so does my 07...not sure what causes it tho.

Zhariak
11-28-10, 07:23 PM
that first (when starting) sound you talk about, thats lasts for a quick second, when its really REALLY cold out is very common. Im here in calgary alberta as well, and i dont have a garage. My 02 escalade made that (buzz/grind) sound, and so does my 07...not sure what causes it tho.

Well I'm glad someone in the same city and same vehicle has the same noise :) Mentioned it to the dealership once, they said they have no idea what causes it.

Tec80
11-29-10, 03:36 AM
The buzz noise on a really cold start is the power steering pump. The piston slap noise is due to excessive clearance between piston and cylinder bore. Mine has made the noise when cold since new and now has 80k on it, no oil burning yet.

Reeler
12-07-10, 10:58 PM
Get them to take bottom end apart! Tell them to check specs on pistons. I bet the are not within tolerances. I had dealer do the same with mine and got all new pistons rods bearings etc. All under warranty! I have zero noise now and engine runs much better I might add.

Well the dealer finally decided the noise was coming from the passenger side of the motor so the tore it apart and found one of the pistons had no carbon on it... so they are deciding which way to go either replacing pistons, rods, bearings, etc. or a new short block. I will post once I find out the details.

2007XTSDub
12-08-10, 01:16 AM
Good to hear they are doing something for you. Let us know how it goes.

login
12-08-10, 12:47 PM
YES PLEASE let us know. I am going to pick my EXT up from the dealership in a couple minutes. Same complaint I have is that there is a knocking on initial start up until it reaches operating temperature.

They diagnosed it as piston slap and said normal. Driving me nuts... I told them that they will never convince me that a $80,000 vehicle should sound like a diesel engine in the morning.

Getting worse because of the dropping temperatures around here.

Bill

2007XTSDub
12-08-10, 01:44 PM
Its not normal! Don't settle from the dealer response of that.

07Lambert
12-09-10, 12:24 PM
Funny i would find a topic on exactly this problem. My friend is a Toyota mechanic and was installing new rotors/pads and after starting the car, he asked me why does my car sound like a Diesel. I never paid attention to it before and i know its going to bug the hell out of me. I hate going to the dealer.

Tec80
12-11-10, 02:19 AM
If the noise is normal, why don't the late-2008 and later trucks make noise? Hmmmm.....Could it be that something changed?

tnhotrod
12-12-10, 11:26 AM
I also have the same noise from my 2007 .. The noise started around 40-50k and i started taking it to the dealer raising hell .. Everytime i took it to the dealer for anything at all i would always be sure to make them put the engine noise in the writeup.. I was told for 9 months that they were working on a new lifter to cure the problem . After going to the dealership several times for other broke shit i finally started asking where the new lifters were because i was getting closer and closer to 100k. At that point the service manager then informed me that there was actually no new lifter.. I ended up meeting with the area gm service warranty guy and he tried to feed me a line of BS also.. This dumbass tried to tell me that i was hearing the injectors firing...(dumbass , I also didn't inform them that i have built a few engines myself for my mustang racing habit) . At this point i have been given a 50k warranty extension from bumper to bumper.. Now that its getting cold in TN the noise is definitely worse and pisses me off.. MY new Goal is to make sure there is a rod hanging out by 150k.... I will try to post a copy of the sheet GM sent me for the warranty if anyone is interested..

getlade247
01-29-11, 02:31 PM
so ive gone to the dealer in calgary 3 times..everytime i go i also bring up the piston slap issue and they always give me either one of these responses.."the tech couldent replicate the sound"..or " this sounds is normal for this engine, will not cause any damaage to motor"...
I dont know what else to do???? what do i say for them to look more into it.... even if this sound isnt cause damage its still FU#$ing annoying and embaressing...

Punmax
01-29-11, 05:21 PM
Mine has 70K on it, and it too has piston slap/lifter tick.

Question - when I drive it and it's cold, as the RPMs begin to climb, I can hear this ticking noise becoming louder and louder. Are those the injectors or lifters?

getlade247
01-29-11, 05:38 PM
from what ive read i believe its the piston in the chamber "bouncing" around and slapping agains the walls untill the piston expands when warmed up...thus reducing the sound

hannity
01-30-11, 12:32 PM
I have a '07 ESV, and when it's cold, it sounds like a Diesel. Dealer said they didn't hear anything. My neighbor asked me when Cadillac made diesel Escalades :(. Been making noise for the last 20,000 miles, and only has 44k on it now. Very annoying.

Mine started doing that as well, dreaded piston slap.

2007XTSDub
01-30-11, 04:32 PM
Tell dealer you want it fixed! I got mine done through my dealer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I896 using Tapatalk

Tec80
02-01-11, 12:15 AM
Mine has had it since 10k, now with 82.5k it is only slightly louder. Still disappears once warm, no oil burning, no loss of compression. Not worth the hassle to try getting a dealer to cover it when most have been told to ignore customer complaints about it. GM feels the fix is too expensive. In other words, the people who bought the 2007 & 2008 Escalades & Denalis get stuck with it, while those who waited or traded up to 2009 or newer don't. Since they have decided on this approach, this is my last GM vehicle. Imagine saying to the customer: "Too bad for you, you bought during the first two years of production when we didn't have our sh** together. But we invite you to try again now that we do." No thanks.