: 12V Hot rear 07' EXT

StevieT
11-07-10, 05:24 PM
I would like to install a LED light bar on the rear, only thing thing holding me back is finding a 12V hot wire. The 7 pin towing connection doesn't seem to have one and I tested all sorts of other wires and came up empty.

Anyone know if there is a 12V hot wire in the rear?

Alien
11-07-10, 08:31 PM
All of the led light bars I purchased use a trailer plug ... that way you have stop, left- right turn signal, and running lights.

If you just want 12v..... the center of the trailer plug is 12v... but cheap GM does not put in a fuse to turn the power on to it. (at least in my Avalanche).

cadmanchris
11-07-10, 08:37 PM
The fuse is there, but you have to hook up the red wire under the hood. It's the one that is wrapped in the harness by the fuse box. Not the one next to the fuse box (there are 2) There is one down low on the thick harness that runs to the back of the truck. Hook that up to your stud on your fuse box and you should have 12v in the trailer harness. HTH.

StevieT
11-07-10, 11:04 PM
All of the led light bars I purchased use a trailer plug ... that way you have stop, left- right turn signal, and running lights.

If you just want 12v..... the center of the trailer plug is 12v... but cheap GM does not put in a fuse to turn the power on to it. (at least in my Avalanche).

This one acts like that as well, you hook to a 4 pin trailer plug which I will be taping into from the rear so my main plug is still available/not using adaper on the rear all the time.

This light bar needs a 12V hot as well
http://www.gorecon.com/products.php?p_cat=75

StevieT
11-07-10, 11:04 PM
The fuse is there, but you have to hook up the red wire under the hood. It's the one that is wrapped in the harness by the fuse box. Not the one next to the fuse box (there are 2) There is one down low on the thick harness that runs to the back of the truck. Hook that up to your stud on your fuse box and you should have 12v in the trailer harness. HTH.

Awesome, I was wondering what that wire was for from day one. Will try out tomorrow. Thanks.

cadmanchris
11-08-10, 08:10 PM
There's 2 of them. It's the thicker of the 2...the one that is lower in the engine compartment.

StevieT
11-08-10, 10:22 PM
Bingo, thank you guys for the help and pointing out that second wire. We are in business. What does the other one do?

cadmanchris
11-09-10, 08:49 AM
Goes under the dash for brake controller.

StevieT
11-09-10, 09:27 AM
Goes under the dash for brake controller.

I can see that being used a lot on a Caddy :yup:

dciliberti
11-16-10, 09:13 AM
Where is the stud on the fuse box? Is it on of the two studs next to the fuse box closest to the front of the car?

StevieT
11-16-10, 10:13 AM
Where is the stud on the fuse box? Is it on of the two studs next to the fuse box closest to the front of the car?

Correct, attached to the fuse box facing the front of the truck. If you use a volt meter you will see they are hot.

See pic:

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m238/StevieTdrill/fuse.jpg