: Always defaults to driver 2...help?

tgibson
11-07-10, 01:29 PM
I have set the driver selection to driver 1 so many times but every time i get in it it defaults back to driver two but all my settings are driver 1 how do i change this? Also I cant seem to get the windows to roll up via the remote like it says in the manual not sure why. And i have auto exit column and seat selected but neither things move when i get in like it did when i first got it.

RippyPartsDept
11-07-10, 02:20 PM
keys and remotes are programmed as #1 or #2... so when you open the car w/ that remote the settings are all ready for you
maybe you're key and remote are not both the same driver number

OH WOW
11-07-10, 02:35 PM
I always wondered about that window thing but never got it to function. But you need remote # 1 so that it can be under driver 1..the number is behind the remote.

tgibson
11-07-10, 03:17 PM
oh ok ok my car only came with one remote thats why nothing on driver one have been saving haha.

ddavis75007
11-08-10, 01:18 PM
The number on the FOB is only for you. The car programs any remote to the car's FOB 1, 2, 3 or 4. When I got my STS back in April, it came with two FOBs. One was marked 1, the other 2. Everytime I got in with the FOB 1, it would not select driver 1. Finally figured it out. FOB 2 was programed to the car as FOB 2. But FOB 1 was programmed as FOB 3. Went through the re-program process for FOB 1 and set it to the car's FOB 1. All works as expected now. FYI, told dealer about problem and they said it was a conflicting config setting. That was garbage.

Anyway, you can re-program your FOB 2 to be assigned to the car's FOB 1 slot and it will be driver 1.

RippyPartsDept
11-08-10, 01:49 PM
when you have more than two fobs you can use any fob to program the extra drivers... you can't program a driver 3 without first programming a 1 and a 2

not all fobs can be used as either a 1 or a 2 (afaik - especially if they have the number imprinted on them)

but i could be wrong... worth it to give ddavis' suggestion of programming fob#2 as driver #1

EChas3
11-08-10, 09:00 PM
I posted a thread a while back that runs through all the details. The manual isn't wrong but it doesn't explain it well, either.

The keys are all the same. The Fobs are all the same but #1 & #2 are different part numbers, just for convenience. When a Fob is matched to a car, both are linked to the other. (One Fob cannot be matched to two cars at the same time.)

The "Raise all windows by holding a Fob's 'Lock' button" had to be enabled by my dealer on the 2006. Some members claim they can't do it or get anyone to make it work. My's wife's 2007 worked from the time she bought it.)

05awdupstater
11-10-10, 10:24 AM
I have an 07. I have both fob's programed. I am the primary driver #1. Wife is programmed #2. Rarely my wife drives my car and uses her fob. When I go to use the car after her, I always hit my fob to reset to me. Lately it will function, confirmed by unlocking the doors, but when I get in none of my radio settings are recalled. They are still set to her favorites even though the nav screen is my background color (brown) and not her's (blue). Anyone know what's up with that?

EChas3
11-10-10, 11:12 PM
Do you have the greetings set in your preferences? Your remotes may not really be matched (1 & 2) as you think.

Do you always save your driver settings after changing your presets? Some members report inconsistent results like yours.

The system reset preocedure cures many weird issues (remove both battery cables & touch them together). Your may need to retrain your windows if you use this idea..

paden
01-12-11, 10:23 PM
ddavis75007, how did you do it? i just purchased a second remote (as the first was lost by previous owner). new fob is programmed as 3, and other was programmed as driver 2. cannot get driver one programmed for either remote. would like to have one driver memory for myself, and one for my wife, 1 ft shorter than me

EChas3
01-14-11, 11:05 PM
Reprogram from scratch. Put all fobs out of range & follow the procedure in the manual (or around here). I posted a procedure that might be a bit more clear than the manual.

dkozloski
01-14-11, 11:10 PM
Even though it's in the book, most '05s don't have the windows up with the fob feature. Later cars sometimes need to be enabled to work.

ddavis75007
01-17-11, 12:52 PM
ddavis75007, how did you do it? i just purchased a second remote (as the first was lost by previous owner). new fob is programmed as 3, and other was programmed as driver 2. cannot get driver one programmed for either remote. would like to have one driver memory for myself, and one for my wife, 1 ft shorter than me

EChas3 has it right. The big thing is to keep all programmed FOBs 10+ feet away from the car during the 30 minute count down.