: Tires rotated today, 95 FWB, it rides like a wagon.

95streamer
11-06-10, 06:04 PM
Hi Everyone,

Here's one for you.

I just had the tires rotated at Wal-Mart.
I do not know what happened, but the ride quality of the car has deteriorated to something like a covered wagon.

I drive over a bumps and car shakes. There is no give in the suspension.
I thought the air pressure in the tires was too high, it's fine.

I barely have any give when I put my weight on the rear bumper.

This car does have the trailer tow package.
I'm running BF Goodrich tires.
Car only has 45k.

Any ideas before I take it back tomorrow?

Thanks,

Greg

csbuckn
11-06-10, 06:23 PM
Double check the work they did to make sure they did it right and you are safe. Other than that, sounds like tires aren't rotated right.

jayoldschool
11-06-10, 06:38 PM
Check torque on lug nuts first. Maybe a broken belt on a tire?

Not sure how a tire rotation would end up with "no give in the suspension"...

Keep us posted.

HUF
11-06-10, 07:13 PM
Wal-Mart.... Check the lug nuts to make sure the wheels are at least secure.
Probably uneven wear of the front tires is more noticeable on the rear axle.

Stingroo
11-06-10, 07:25 PM
Hi Everyone,

Here's one for you.

I just had the tires rotated at Wal-Mart.
I do not know what happened, but the ride quality of the car has deteriorated to something like a covered wagon.

I drive over a bumps and car shakes. There is no give in the suspension.
I thought the air pressure in the tires was too high, it's fine.

I barely have any give when I put my weight on the rear bumper.

This car does have the trailer tow package.
I'm running BF Goodrich tires.
Car only has 45k.

Any ideas before I take it back tomorrow?

Thanks,

Greg

Rides like a wagon? I take offense! :lol:

I kid, I kid. I never ever EVER trust WalMart to do tires. What kind of tires did you get? I didn't think BF Goodrich still made a car tire in your size...

95streamer
11-06-10, 07:38 PM
The tires came with the car,
BF Goodrich Control Plus WSW 235-70-15.

95streamer
11-06-10, 07:51 PM
Here's a couple of pics of the car with my Airstream trailer.

csbuckn
11-06-10, 09:08 PM
Id be willing to bet your tire pressure was lower before rotating.

HUF
11-07-10, 12:40 AM
Nice pictures.

Cadillacboy
11-07-10, 11:39 AM
Exquisite ride in every way :D
Do you have towing package ?

95streamer
11-07-10, 03:01 PM
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the comments.

I went out this morning and inspected the car again.

I think the problem is in the rear suspension on the drivers rear side.

To test , I placed my knee on the left rear bumper and pressed down, the coil or shock will not give any, real solid feel. It has never been this firm.

I then apply pressure on the right side of the rear bumper with my knee, there is give and the suspension feels normal.

When Wal-Mart lifted the car to swap the tires, do you think they could have damaged the air shock or coil?

Last year Midas replaced the shocks with new ac/delco auto leveling shocks.

I'm taking the car back to Midas tomorrow.

I feel a bit rushed, I am going to the beach Thursday with the car and trailer.

Will keep you posted...

sven914
11-07-10, 10:36 PM
I've seen some cars have deterioration in ride quality, after being lifted. It is usually because everything in the suspension shifts a little, when the car is raised and all of the tension is released. When the car is lowered, it takes a while for the suspension to return and the car feel normal. But that's normally only a slight, almost unnoticeable difference. What you are describing sounds like one of the rear shocks is jammed or bent.

csbuckn
11-07-10, 11:20 PM
I was thinking a bent shock also

turbojimmy
11-08-10, 07:23 AM
When I had new tires put on my car last month, the guy working on it was fishing around in the trunk for a switch to disable the air suspension. I told him there wasn't one. Now, I recall my my mom's Lincoln (affectionately known as the stinkin linkin) had a switch, but that car had air springs as opposed to shocks. I don't think I've seen a Caddy with a switch to disable the air shocks.

Anyway, he refused to jack the car up unless I indemnified him from any damage to the rear suspension as a result of jacking the car up without disabling the air shocks. I told him to go ahead - I've done it several times myself without any problems. They did - put 4 floor jacks under each corner of the frame - and got all 4 wheels off the ground (car was too long for his lifts :-) ). It didn't hurt anything - ride quality didn't suffer or anything.

If you have no give on the rear suspension on one side of the car, that would obviously be causing the ride quality problem you are experiencing. The question is what happened? (you can call me Captain Obvious).

I took my car to Wal*Mart once. Just once.

sven914
11-08-10, 11:25 AM
^You always have to disable a Lincoln's suspension... Ford was too stupid to realize that a car at rest need not an active suspension and thus they always have power to the compressor. With Cadillac, the power is cut with the ignition.

turbojimmy
11-08-10, 12:16 PM
^You always have to disable a Lincoln's suspension... Ford was too stupid to realize that a car at rest need not an active suspension and thus they always have power to the compressor. With Cadillac, the power is cut with the ignition.

Or with the RAP, right? My Devilles continued to try to level themselves for a period of time after I shut it off.

95streamer
11-08-10, 01:45 PM
I just got back from Midas.
They found the problem, it is a bent shock, left rear.:yup:
AC/Delco will replace both shocks under warranty and I pay Midas the labor.
Shocks will be in Wed.

Now getting Wally World to pay up.:annoyed:

To be continued...

outsider
11-08-10, 01:57 PM
yeah, I dunno if you'll be able to get them to pay up. You may have a good shot though, since they're a huge corporation and probably wouldn't like the bad press. Good luck!

bicentennialcadillac
11-08-10, 02:33 PM
Keep yer rides away from Fram and Wal-Mart's service bays and fine you will be!

Stingroo
11-08-10, 02:43 PM
^ True that.

However, WalMart has its uses. For example, their "SuperTech" oil filters are just rebranded Wix filters. :thumbsup:

sven914
11-08-10, 03:22 PM
Or with the RAP, right? My Devilles continued to try to level themselves for a period of time after I shut it off.

I always forget that Front Wheel Drives are still Cadillacs... I don't know what they used on them.

HUF
11-08-10, 10:33 PM
Are you sure? The SuperTech looks exactly like ACDelco PF61

sven914
11-09-10, 12:18 AM
^It's an oil filter... They all look the same aside from whose name is on it. Wal-Mart used to use actual Frame filters.

outsider
11-09-10, 09:11 AM
what's wrong with fram oil filters? not to hijack or anything...just wondering :)

bicentennialcadillac
11-09-10, 09:12 AM
I always heard the SuperTechs were made by Champion.

I just stay out of Wal-Mart on principle if for no other reason.

bicentennialcadillac
11-09-10, 09:13 AM
what's wrong with fram oil filters? not to hijack or anything...just wondering :)

Most oil dorks will agree that Fram filters are cheaply constructed in comparison to similarly-priced rivals.

caddeville89
11-11-10, 11:36 AM
One of the reasons mechanics bump the price up on parts is to cover themselves against warranty repairs. If you had the repair done initially with a warranty slapped on, why are you now having to pay them labor? Sounds like you just got a bad shock to begin with and your jacking the car exacerbated the problem.

csbuckn
11-11-10, 07:07 PM
Getting Walmart to pay may be hard. If all they did was lift the car correctly and not touch the shock, it wasn't there fault. There is no other procedure for lifting the brougham, just place the hoist in the right spot and lift. If it bent when it went back down, the shock was probably to blame. The only way they would pay is if it was tampered with or lifted incorrectly.