: Any good reason why GM puts fuel fill on right !!!???

pastohio
11-06-10, 09:52 AM
Have owned numerous GM cars and the one thing that bothers me the most is the fuel fill is on the right side....is there any reason that I can't seem to understand ?? Almost all other cars have it on the left and when you pull into the pump, it is very convenient to the driver side !@! Looking for any answers...here

TheCaptain
11-06-10, 11:06 AM
So the driver can't fill the car, and hop in and out and create a static charge that possibly lights the vehicle on fire?
So you don't hit the door on the pump or island in the event you park too close?
So you have to get more then two steps worth of exercise?

Smokin' SRX
11-06-10, 11:13 AM
Good spec Captain! My new co. work vans are Dodges and guess what? Yup, passenger side.............

Wish it was back to old drivers side. I always worry about someone getting in and driving off, while I'm on other side pumping. But I go to Full Service stations 95% of the time, so no matter.

pastohio
11-06-10, 11:42 AM
OH captain, my captain.....good response...I thought GM did it so that the driver can make his cellphone call as he walks around to the pedestrian side and then lean up against the car as he fills the tank and talks at the same time ....my other cars that are on the left side, just seem easier to me and also I can judge my parking distance from the pump easier on the left side then guessing on the right side !!??..I can't come up with any GOOD reasons this is done that way.....I would think that more car accidents are to the right rear quarter panel then to the left rear quarter panel !!! Any other guesses ??

stevec5375
11-06-10, 04:37 PM
So your fat-butted wife can get out and fill up the car because see needs the exercise? :duck:

Nichelle
11-10-10, 07:59 AM
The explanation I received was that it's on the right side for safety reasons. If you have to fill up your car while on the side of the road, it's on the side furthest away from traffic.

ewill3rd
11-10-10, 08:09 AM
The answer to why they put them all on the right side is this:
They don't.

Certain cars are on the right side, some are on the left.
Escalade is on the left, DTS is on the left, my Trailblazer is on the left, Most pickups are on the left....
I am sure it is an engineering decision and it is likely more related to crash test data than anything to specifically inconvenience the driver.

pastohio
11-10-10, 09:08 AM
ewill....thanks for the input, if it is an engineering decision, I still wonder why some are on the left or right or as nichelle said a safety issue, I have a new Camaro and it is on the right as well, I can't buy it that crash tests would dictate rather fueling from the right or left....NOT A CRASH EXPERT, but off the top of my head my previous comment still stands that I think that more fender-bender/wrecks are to the right rear quarter panel then the left quarter panel....just seems logical because the right rear panel is usually in the "blind spot" when you hear accident reviews....still curious !

Stumeat
11-10-10, 09:44 AM
On sports cars (like the V) I always assumed that it was to help balance out for the driver on the L/H side?

Johnel5
11-10-10, 12:14 PM
Don't have any international knowledge on this but could it be that we might be unigue in being used to gas stations using fuel pump islands in this country? Do other places have fuel pumps along the sides of their lots?

GMJim
11-10-10, 01:34 PM
Safety is #1. On the side of the road, with a gas can in hand, which side you you rather be on?
I can't speak for the past, but moving forward, all fuel fill for GM vehicles will be on the passenger side.
At least that was the agreement.

Stumeat
11-10-10, 03:28 PM
Safety is #1. On the side of the road, with a gas can in hand, which side you you rather be on?
I can't speak for the past, but moving forward, all fuel fill for GM vehicles will be on the passenger side.
At least that was the agreement.

"The agreement"?

Looks like all cars are L/H, all trucks/suv's are R/H.

PJ1520
11-10-10, 04:02 PM
Nope. My Infinity G Coupe fills on the passenger side/right.

redvett94
11-10-10, 04:13 PM
All vehicles designed in foreign country's SRX (Germany) Camaro (Australia) are on the RH side all vehicles designed in USA on LH side.

ewill3rd
11-10-10, 09:14 PM
I don't know what the deciding factor is.
I always thought they did it because of convenience for the location of the fuel tank under the vehicle.
don't know what dictates the location of the fuel tank though.

There is no "always" about it, certain cars have it on one side while others have it on the other.
I know of no national or international agreement regarding the positioning of the filler.

Crash testing was speculation, I really have no idea what the deciding factor is.

Oh and XLR is on the left, and it has 2 tanks, one on each side.

redvett94
11-10-10, 10:44 PM
The Cadillac XLR was designed in the USA and had the same chassis as the Corvette. The XLR was assembled on the same line as the Corvette and has a LH filler.

GMJim
11-11-10, 09:50 AM
"The agreement"?

By the powers to be, with in GM

pastohio
11-12-10, 10:11 AM
Redvett---- I have a new Camaro and it is on the right side as well....since "many" vehicles in the US are on the driver's side, I find that when I get to the pumps, the other cars are flowing against me in the parking area...and I have to do additional backing and most times back into the right side for fueling...just curious if others seem to find themselves doing this additional backing instead of always pulling straight in....

PJ1520
11-12-10, 10:59 AM
This question is quite common across the automobile forums. No one has a definitive answer, but the suppositions run the gamut from safety to vehicle design/packaging. Regarding the latter, many observe the auto manufacturers tend to position filler pipe where it can best fit while keeping it away from the exhaust system when they can.

GeeVee
11-13-10, 04:08 PM
No backing up ever for me. Furthermore, the fill on the right side is not an issue for me. It is what it is.....

redvett94
11-13-10, 06:22 PM
My info is that a vehicle designed in Europe has filler on the RH side and the CTS was designed in the Opal studios the Camaro was designed in Australia by Holden.
Yes i do not like a RH filler my current vehicles are all but the CTS on the LH side and since i only buy vehicles from companies that are owned by American based companies and preferably assembled in MI i choose the CTS and my other car an Enclave.

This question is quite common across the automobile forums. No one has a definitive answer, but the suppositions run the gamut from safety to vehicle design/packaging. Regarding the latter, many observe the auto manufacturers tend to position filler pipe where it can best fit while keeping it away from the exhaust system when they can.

Smokin' SRX
11-17-10, 08:36 PM
good info. I also only buy US based steel. My Daddy told me how BIG 3 saved USA in WW II....

SS

ewill3rd
11-18-10, 08:42 AM
I don't recall if this was mentioned but this topic I started to discuss on my GM tech forum brought up a point that I either did not know or forgot.

If you look at your fuel gage, look at the pump icon in the display. You will notice a subtly placed arrow that points either to the left or right side.
This arrow indicates which side of the vehicle the filler opening is on.
If you have trouble remembering just look at the little arrow. This has helped me twice in the last week needing to add fuel to customer vehicles on road tests.

pastohio
11-18-10, 01:26 PM
ewill...thanks for pointing that out but I thought the main reason for this is to be able to sell cars into the rental car business...back to one of my original points, whenever I approach many fuel pump areas, the other cars that are on the LH side cause a different traffic pattern than for me with the pump on the right hand side, unless no one is in the line and I am the first vehicle, it is amplified recently as gas is sneaking up, and I seem to find the pumps busier....

Buck1962
11-18-10, 02:16 PM
Right-side fillers are somewhat of a bother (for all the reasons given).

As someone already pointed out, the XLR fills on the left. I've gotten used to that with mine. But I recently bought an SRX and am now having to think when pulling into a gas station. Is odd having two Cadillacs that aren't the same in this respect.

I sometimes drive my friend's CTS and it's a right-side filler too.

Very confusing...

smiley47
11-18-10, 04:55 PM
I'm not sure if we'll ever really know why the fuel filler is on one side or the other. I'm actually glad the SRX is on the passenger side because I usually get gas at Sam's or Costco which are all one way lanes. For whatever reason, the lanes are always busier for vehicles filling on the drivers side (Japanese cars) so I can usually pull right up to an empty pump while they're waiting two or three deep.