: platinum series front headlights fit on a normal escalade(2009)

chirochris
11-06-10, 08:18 AM
went to dealer to see about switching my front headlight out to platinum edition and of course they couldnt figuire out if it would work...is this upgrade worth doing for better lighting not...never have seen platinum light lit up before

Bear
11-06-10, 08:37 AM
I've been looking at doing the same. From what I can find it will fit without issue but there is a required adapter plug which adds to the already high cost. The other thing I found (can't remember where) is that although they are good, the light levels are not as high as the normal HID lights on the current Escalades. Not sure how much difference, the article didn't state. I like the idea that I wouldn't have a mix of incandescent and HID lighting in the front. My other thought, and much less expensive, is to simply do a LED swap on all the front incandescent lamps. Matchn_Toyz has done a lot of great work in this area.

chirochris
11-06-10, 01:14 PM
yeah i saw that...i have the custom auto guy looking into both ways as far as money and output...i have never seen platinum lights on ever so dont really know what the look like..ill keep you posted and if you find anything else let me know..

Bear
11-06-10, 03:24 PM
If you want some idea on their look (and if you really want a set) here is a pair available on ebay. They are listed as new and include the adapter plug. I've considered them, not sure the look is something I really like (and then there is the cost).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2009-Cadillac-Escalade-Platinum-EDITION-HEADLIGHTS-2010-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem45f6820146QQitemZ30048 8458566QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

nathanr93
11-06-10, 05:07 PM
I put the Platinum front end on mine b/c my wife hit an audi at 7MPH. I didn't do the LEDs, just kept the xenon's. so in theory it should work fine. Why not do the Platinum grille too? The parts costs was like $150 less than the orig front end too!

chirochris
11-07-10, 07:22 PM
yeah forget it...to much money..dropping in leds and calling it a day

cadmanchris
11-07-10, 08:40 PM
To be honest, I compared my xenons to the platinum led's at work, and my xenons seemed brighter.

ESCALADE132
11-07-10, 08:47 PM
mathan how much did it cost to switch over to the platinum front end? Do you have pics? I heard you have to do alot more things that just replacing the front end?

nathanr93
11-07-10, 09:09 PM
@ES132, I had Gerber auto collision do it. It took over 3 wks to get the parts and yes there is some mods due to the platinum grille is 2 inches wider so the under wheel rubber plating doesn't quite fit. Attached are some pics of it right before I had the black skid plate put on. we love it. I think insurance cut a check for 2,100 after my 500 deductible.

chirochris
11-08-10, 08:03 AM
how about pics with lights on..night would be the best..so we can see all the lights on and how they work..there are 7 lights , cant imagine what ones come on with each other

capnjohn
11-11-10, 01:19 PM
I was told that the Computer would have to be "flashed"......I spoke with the guy on EBAY who had those lights for sale. He was all about " oh yeah they will work".....I researched with the manufacturer. I actually spoke on the telephone with the engineer that helped design the product. The answer is that they will not work right out of the box. There is a lot to do with the computer and wiring to get them to work.....

hdmech
11-11-10, 05:55 PM
Capnjohn is right about this one. Check this link for detailed info.

http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/2009/03/

getlade247
11-16-10, 05:45 PM
Its too bad there not interchangeable...i hope one day someone come out with a conversion kit for the headlights becasue i really like its look..almost looks like spider eyes or somthing...and i have an 07 ext and there is no platnium EXT...

WaterKing
11-20-10, 08:00 AM
You may be all right with a 2009 and later model to do the conversion in a plug and play manner with the appropriate front harness but I still recommend doing a wiring harness/diagram pin out check and verifying BCM programming is the same between Platinum/non-Platinum headlights. See http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-2007/195774-platinum-headlights-not-running-during-day.html for issues that can be expected on 2007 and 2008 conversions to Platinum headlights. They do look distinctive at night but don't put out quite as much light as HID's but it is only slightly. With my old eyes I think the pattern/temperature of the LED's makes it easier for me to see with less eye strain over long periods of night driving in the 2007 with Platinum lights versus my 2008 with HID....or it could be just my wishful justification of the ridiculous cost.

Big Windy Ext
11-21-10, 07:40 AM
Waterking , I 'm thinking you enjoyed solving the puzzle more than the lights themselves . Not to derail this thread but how is the magnetic ride coming along ?

cadmanchris
11-21-10, 11:14 AM
I'm curious too on the Mag ride. Got my first front shock today...lol.

WaterKing
11-21-10, 10:39 PM
Both the Platinum LED headlights and magnetic ride shocks/Auxilliary BCM installed. Both had wiring issues and ALC compressor exhaust valve was bad on the 2007 which required replacement of compressor. As far as I can tell all is well but I have so many other issues running right now that I have not had time to find a dealer that can confirm proper operation....In seat of pants analysis--Ride and Handling on the MR equipped 2007 with 305/45 24's is better than my stock 2008 with 22's...i.e. softer yet more lean control and greater speed in corners but I have not changed out to the 2009 BCM yet because I fear it will disable the vehicle until reprogrammed by dealer. The 2007 is twitchier (not excessively) to steering input but tires/wheels/alignment may be in play there. I also took the Hotchkiss front and rear sway bar kit off the 2008 and put it on the 2007 which does effect the steering/handling and installed a GF spindle/spring 3" drop kit on the 2007 at the same time. So exact comparison is not possible. I NEED to find a knowledgeable and willing dealer to help with the major emphasis on WILLING who can view (and understand) the waveforms provided to the MR shocks to totally confirm proper operation. But, as long as I have nothing loose in the bed I would follow a Vette through any corner with confidence. Just installed CB/Passport 9500ci/GMX-322/Bluetooth VCIM/Front camera/WestCoastCustom 17"rear Overhead and control unit for underbody lights last week and am still sorting it out on the 2007 (project of the month). I would do the MR shocks if I had to do it over again (only if replacing worn out shocks) but I doubt the Platinum Led headlights because of the cost factor. Alignment shop said the 2007 was the best handling and softest riding 24" tired vehicle he had EVER driven or rode in (GF 3" drop kit/MR shocks/Hotchkiss/Baer brakes/Blackbear tune/9.5 rear were all installed at that time). I still want to reset the pinion angle in rear and on transmission to finish that phase and reduce axle wrap. Get 19-23MPG on mixed country driving so am not far off but still do not like the rear up angle/tranny down angle. I am inconsistent in being on the forum because my projects suck time. I comment mostly to allow others to gain from my mistakes or consider things they may not have thought of....the programming issues and nuances in wiring changes is sometimes a nightmare and, of course, is not supported or explained in any way. IMHO the 2009 Escalade is the best year to get because it has the most all the perks without the some of the important losses of the 2010 and later..i.e. rainsense wipers, heated wiper fluid. Just wish I had the ability to get the high/low transaxle and towing package of the 2500 Avalanche without such a nightmare...It would be easier to convert an Avalanche to Caddy comfort/appearance than converting an Escalade Ext to Avalanche functionality but I must live with what I have(or mod it).

WaterKing
11-22-10, 12:11 AM
For Big Windy: It is the "why did they change this?, and what did they do to the programming when they did this?" that is the challenge and downfall because noone seems to be willing to provide any insight that allows understanding the operation let alone modification even in the Helms manuals. Understanding and then making the DLR work on the LED's in the 2007 was a PITI. From experience I rather not expound on, Stabiltrack and service suspension system alarms can be caused by low battery voltage or bad grounds instead of actual suspension problems. And this programmed to VIN requirement is significantly painful..which is why most VCIM retrofits for bluetooth don't work for Onstar continued useage. It is MY vehicle yet many of its operations and functions are treated like a proprietary lease which I am not allowed to access, understand or change even if I am willing to give up all warranty and legal claims against the manufacturer. But I must commend them on their ability to engineer these new vehicles. Now when are they going to offer a complete Platinum option for an EXT? I want a LSA equipped, Platinum EXT-V with rainsense wipers, heated washer fluid, part time 4 wheel drive, front/side/rear cameras, and bluetooth apps. All the parts are available NOW. I guess I will have to build it myself.

bstiffmanofsteel
11-22-10, 07:13 PM
For Big Windy: It is the "why did they change this?, and what did they do to the programming when they did this?" that is the challenge and downfall because noone seems to be willing to provide any insight that allows understanding the operation let alone modification even in the Helms manuals. Understanding and then making the DLR work on the LED's in the 2007 was a PITI. From experience I rather not expound on, Stabiltrack and service suspension system alarms can be caused by low battery voltage or bad grounds instead of actual suspension problems. And this programmed to VIN requirement is significantly painful..which is why most VCIM retrofits for bluetooth don't work for Onstar continued useage. It is MY vehicle yet many of its operations and functions are treated like a proprietary lease which I am not allowed to access, understand or change even if I am willing to give up all warranty and legal claims against the manufacturer. But I must commend them on their ability to engineer these new vehicles. Now when are they going to offer a complete Platinum option for an EXT? I want a LSA equipped, Platinum EXT-V with rainsense wipers, heated washer fluid, part time 4 wheel drive, front/side/rear cameras, and bluetooth apps. All the parts are available NOW. I guess I will have to build it myself.

You my friend are a monster!