: Cadillac Enthusiast Magazine Redesign

Lord Cadillac
11-05-10, 04:06 PM
http://cadillacenthusiastmagazine.com/

Any thoughts or opinions?

Lord Cadillac
11-05-10, 08:29 PM
45 views and not a single reply. Don't be afraid to say you hate it. I cannot improve the site without any input.

Thank you...

drewsdeville
11-05-10, 09:15 PM
OK, I'll bite.

The site layout is confusing to navigate...it's very redundant with links to click on EVERYWHERE, but only a few pages to go to. For example, on the homepage, there are at least 4 different links all taking you to the luxury page. And what's the "Luxury" link mean anyway? What am I clicking on? All Cadillac is luxury, no?

Also, what's the difference between "News" and "Other News"?

Across the top, on the horizontal navigation bar, the links really aren't well labeled. You don't know what to expect before clicking on them so you click and find out. When it's not what you wanted, you try another one.

Suggesting some type of fix, it almost seems like you could do a time-based layout here, by era, using a single horizontal nav bar (I prefer vertical but horizontal will keep it uniform with this forum). A section for PAST (the history you have now, maybe even add past concepts, sales figures, and other statistics like you have for current vehicles), PRESENT (info on current models and their news such as sales statistics and such), and FUTURE (information on rumors, concepts, etc.). If you wanted to cut it up more, you could add drop-down menu's by the decade or something.

With that, you could probably eliminate all of the clutter created by the vertical nav bars.

With everything subdivided and cleaned up, you could turn the homepage into a nice clean page with the latest additions displayed, whether that be an article, pictures, videos, etc - a real home page rather than a navigation nightmare.

I'm sure there are more clever ways to clean this up, but it's just an example. There's just too much going on now as it is.

The actual content of the site is great but it's annoying to navigate. I think cleaning up the layout would help greatly.

Just a bit of constructive criticism...no offense intended.

EChas3
11-07-10, 12:10 AM
OK, I'll try.

No love or hate; just another page. Maybe it looks too much like a Cadillac corporate site. How often will new content be added?

To build traffic you need to draw people in. That's why the Cadillac Forums are so vital. Many people of differing views put their opinions on display. For an e-magazine to work you'd need good wrtinters pumping new content every day. Otherwise, few will visit regularly.

Just my opinion, but you did ask.

Lord Cadillac
11-07-10, 01:11 AM
OK, I'll bite.

The site layout is confusing to navigate...it's very redundant with links to click on EVERYWHERE, but only a few pages to go to. For example, on the homepage, there are at least 4 different links all taking you to the luxury page. And what's the "Luxury" link mean anyway? What am I clicking on? All Cadillac is luxury, no?

Also, what's the difference between "News" and "Other News"?

Across the top, on the horizontal navigation bar, the links really aren't well labeled. You don't know what to expect before clicking on them so you click and find out. When it's not what you wanted, you try another one.

Suggesting some type of fix, it almost seems like you could do a time-based layout here, by era, using a single horizontal nav bar (I prefer vertical but horizontal will keep it uniform with this forum). A section for PAST (the history you have now, maybe even add past concepts, sales figures, and other statistics like you have for current vehicles), PRESENT (info on current models and their news such as sales statistics and such), and FUTURE (information on rumors, concepts, etc.). If you wanted to cut it up more, you could add drop-down menu's by the decade or something.

With that, you could probably eliminate all of the clutter created by the vertical nav bars.

With everything subdivided and cleaned up, you could turn the homepage into a nice clean page with the latest additions displayed, whether that be an article, pictures, videos, etc - a real home page rather than a navigation nightmare.

I'm sure there are more clever ways to clean this up, but it's just an example. There's just too much going on now as it is.

The actual content of the site is great but it's annoying to navigate. I think cleaning up the layout would help greatly.

Just a bit of constructive criticism...no offense intended.

Thank you very much! I cleaned it up a bit. Let me know what you think.

OK, I'll try.

No love or hate; just another page. Maybe it looks too much like a Cadillac corporate site. How often will new content be added?

To build traffic you need to draw people in. That's why the Cadillac Forums are so vital. Many people of differing views put their opinions on display. For an e-magazine to work you'd need good wrtinters pumping new content every day. Otherwise, few will visit regularly.

Just my opinion, but you did ask.

Content is usually added after Cadillac corporate press releases. Otherwise, I add content occasionally myself - and some information is pulled via RSS from various spots around the internet.

Traffic is pretty good right now - but of course I'd like to see the site become more popular. Unfortunately, I don't have anyone to write - which is really what's most needed.

Jesda
11-07-10, 07:50 AM
At first glance, it looks like one of those domain parking pages. But this is dramatically improved.

Lord Cadillac
11-07-10, 01:08 PM
Thank you. When you say its improved - do you mean over the last version? Or improved over the typical domain parking page? :p

In any event, I just added a "Models" drop down. I think that will be helpful...

At first glance, it looks like one of those domain parking pages. But this is dramatically improved.