: Additive for leaking head gaskets

Koooop
11-05-10, 02:06 PM
Someone posted that they used an engine additive for leaking head gaskets. My babysitter's POS car has exhaust and oil in the coolant, but none in the oil.

It would be great if I could get some for her, the car isn't worth fixing but if I could help her prolong it's life that would be outstanding.

Anyone have the name of the product?

Thanks

Jesda
11-05-10, 02:21 PM
Thermaseal

Will probably clog her heater core and ruin the cooling system but make the car driveable for a few weeks.

creeker
11-05-10, 02:29 PM
Someone posted that they used an engine additive for leaking head gaskets. My babysitter's POS car has exhaust and oil in the coolant, but none in the oil.

It would be great if I could get some for her, the car isn't worth fixing but if I could help her prolong it's life that would be outstanding.

Anyone have the name of the product?

Thanks

Just curious, what is the car?.

Koooop
11-05-10, 02:50 PM
1995 Chevy Lumina (POS)

I think it's the 3.1 V6

Jesda
11-05-10, 03:18 PM
Sure its not the LIM gasket?

drewsdeville
11-05-10, 03:37 PM
I thought the same thing, then I realized he said there's exhaust in the coolant. Assuming that's actually confirmed, it completely rules out intake gaskets.

But even if that was the problem, if the car isn't worth headgaskets, it's probably not worth intake gaskets either. Head gaskets on a 2.8/3.1/3.4 really aren't that big of a deal and once you have the intake manifold removed, they aren't much farther away.

Ranger
11-05-10, 04:22 PM
Thermogasket is another. They make big claims, but what else would you expect. Might buy her some time.
http://www.rxauto.com/

Koooop
11-06-10, 12:28 AM
Thank you Ranger, that's what I'll use on it. The car isn't worth the $ I spent on the block test kit, I'd just like to see her keep it on the road until she can buy another car.

Koooop
11-06-10, 12:30 AM
Sure its not the LIM gasket?

I wouldn't be surprised if that was bad as well, but there's oil and exhaust in the coolant.

Eitherway, it's not worth the cost of the repair.

Jesda
11-06-10, 07:55 AM
If you dont mind, report back and let us know how long it lasts. I'm morbidly curious.

Koooop
11-06-10, 07:53 PM
I'll put the sealer snot in, then do another exhaust gas test to see if it worked.

Sometimes it's a challenge to see how far some hoopty azz POS can last.