: Platinum Cup Holder Install - Complete W/ pics . . .

chadbaaronson
11-04-10, 08:04 PM
I successfully installed a set of platinum cup holders in my 2007 . . . works great!

HUGE shout out to Chris (cadmanchris) for helping me out big time with the wiring diagrams and getting me the parts! Really good guy to deal with!

It was hard to get the LED's to show up in the pics, but they are on . . . blue when cooling, red when heating, and only when parking / headlights are on, white when off.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee164/chadbaaronson/PlatinumCupHolders003.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee164/chadbaaronson/PlatinumCupHolders002.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee164/chadbaaronson/PlatinumCupHolders001.jpg

cadmanchris
11-04-10, 08:24 PM
Yeah man! My truck is next. just have to dig for it in the garage.

Bear
11-04-10, 09:05 PM
Very nicely done! Ok, I want.. I found the wiring diagram but could you please share which wires in the console you taped into. Also, please share the list of parts you ordered. Really would like to have this in my 2010 ext.

chadbaaronson
11-04-10, 09:07 PM
I'm ready when you are!

cadmanchris
11-04-10, 09:23 PM
There are 5 wires that run the cup holder assembly:
red-12 volts constant. We ran this off the lighter circuit,but I will be researching for a better source.
black-ground. Ground to chassis or use lighter ground also.
yellow-dimming. Take this from the traction/park assist switch on the right side of the radio.
orange-12v ign. I took this from the HVAC control head connector 2
Purple- Take this also from the traction/park assist switch.

I hope this helps.

tiny73
11-04-10, 09:25 PM
I successfully installed a set of platinum cup holders in my 2007 . . . works great!

HUGE shout out to Chris (cadmanchris) for helping me out big time with the wiring diagrams and getting me the parts! Really good guy to deal with!

It was hard to get the LED's to show up in the pics, but they are on . . . blue when cooling, red when heating, and only when parking / headlights are on, white when off.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee164/chadbaaronson/PlatinumCupHolders003.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee164/chadbaaronson/PlatinumCupHolders002.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee164/chadbaaronson/PlatinumCupHolders001.jpg

Hi Chad,
great job!! I would like to do the same to my 2007 Escalade could you give part number and some details about the install thanks.

2007caddy
11-04-10, 09:34 PM
Great work....

Big Windy Ext
11-04-10, 10:38 PM
Did you swap bezels or were you able to find it in that wood trim ? Nice job ! I am going to install mine on Saturday , I have one with the brushed aluminum , debating if it is a close enough match . Thanks for posting ,your timing is great !!

CaMs
11-04-10, 10:55 PM
anyone have the part numbers? big windy and cadmanchris can you guys take pics of the wiring when you start your install? thks

jt321
11-05-10, 12:28 AM
How much is the part?

Big Windy Ext
11-05-10, 08:32 AM
anyone have the part numbers? big windy and cadmanchris can you guys take pics of the wiring when you start your install? thks

The part # 25991706 List About 800.00 I found mine on E-Bay , so a lot less . The harness is available for 109.00 I went through a warranty pile at a co-operative Buick store and clipped the plug I needed for free , colors are wrong but it will do . I will photo as I go , but I don't know how to post pis the size of tiny's pics .

cadmanchris
11-05-10, 11:36 AM
I priced the pigtail plug out yesterday and my price was around $60. I would like to get the plug for it. What did you cut your plug from, Big Windy? Chad swapped the brushed bezel for the wooden bezel to match the rest of the interior. I will be doing the same. When Chad came by my workplace to show me the finished project, I was pretty suprised at how hot the heated cup holder got and the cooled part also. Wifey likes the idea too for the baby bottles for our 3rd child on the way...lol.

vfjdesign
11-05-10, 12:03 PM
Awesome, gotta have it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tiny73
11-05-10, 04:41 PM
I priced the pigtail plug out yesterday and my price was around $60. I would like to get the plug for it. What did you cut your plug from, Big Windy? Chad swapped the brushed bezel for the wooden bezel to match the rest of the interior. I will be doing the same. When Chad came by my workplace to show me the finished project, I was pretty suprised at how hot the heated cup holder got and the cooled part also. Wifey likes the idea too for the baby bottles for our 3rd child on the way...lol.

Hi Cadmanchris,
Please keep us inform (for us who is mechanically/technically challenged) and display the part numbers you use i.e. pigtail plug out and plug thanks.

cadmanchris
11-05-10, 05:39 PM
The part # for the actual cup holder is 20820049. I have to get the p//n for the connector. I need the connector also. The price for the plate is $432.51 on GMpartsdirect.com

jt321
11-05-10, 06:54 PM
Do you need to buy the whole assembly or can you just swap out the cupholders?

cadmanchris
11-05-10, 08:16 PM
It only comes as an assembly. The picture in our parts catalog shows it separate, but it says "part of plate".

Big Windy Ext
11-05-10, 10:41 PM
How do you separate the cup holder from the bezel ? Did you "peel" the metal woodgrain top off or melt the heat stakes that hold the whole thing together ?

cadmanchris
11-05-10, 11:15 PM
You melt the heat stakes off. I believe that there are 6 stakes to melt. By the way, what harness did you cut your plug from, because I need a plug too and I'm looking for a harness to cut it from

Big Windy Ext
11-06-10, 07:43 AM
It was a scrap harness , I don't know what vehicle it came from . I had to dremel it to fit , it was the only 5 pin one I could find . I do have the terminals that go in the plug p/n 12191812 . I could mail them to you no charge if you would like , but I,m betting you can't wait to get this thing in your vehicle ! I was going to put heat shrink on them, they fit pretty securely .

Big Windy Ext
11-06-10, 08:00 AM
Did he drill the holes for the switches ? I can see the cup part being removable , but not the black surround where the switches are . I see he did it just not how !

chadbaaronson
11-06-10, 08:34 AM
Hey guys. . . sorry , I was away for a few days.

I used a dremel to cut the holes for the switches. I used the removable frame that fits around the switch itself as a template. Once you remove the rubber bumpers from the corners of your old holders, and rest the new cup holders in place, you should see the tip of the snowflake thru the hole where the bumpers were. I used that as a reference on where to place the template.

To get the old holders out, I drilled VERY SHALLOW right into the 6 'bumps' that hold it in. You must also remove the door, and door guide. I used a dremel on that also and just ground off the tabs then pried the rest off with a small screwdriver. In order to get it back on after the install, you'll need to modify that a little. . . if you really want it back on. I left mine off, I didn't see the purpose of putting it back on.

This was sort of a trial - by - error job, so I didn't take any photos. I will take photos of the next one I do . . . possibly the beginning of this week.

Big Windy Ext
11-06-10, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the "How its made" update , I kind of figured thats what you did , my Dremel and measuring skills aren't quite up to yours and it looks like the Platinum bezel stays on . It really is pretty close to matching the metal trim of my dash and is separated by the radio stack . I can revisit this if it bugs me too much.

cadmanchris
11-07-10, 08:51 AM
I should be able to get the terminals at work, but it would be nice to have the connector. I will be doing the install this week with Chad doing the bezel swap.

Big Windy Ext
11-08-10, 08:05 AM
I ran into a problem and ran out of time . I am putting this in an 07 EXT , the ac duct runs through the console and I couldn't get the cup holder in without cutting the duct . I have assumed that the consoles are the same , maybe you guys can tell me if you have a duct in the console . I cut the duct and now it fits but the rear is sitting up an inch or so thats when I ran out of time . A road trip to Detroit confirmed it is a nice option , kept my coffee hot and the ice in my Coke . I hope I can squeeze a few minutes in today to find whats holding up the show in the back . I ran direct to the battery and used the switched power from my loc pick for orange . I did use the yellow and violet from the traction control wiring ,much thanks for that tip , I was going to go to the BCM for those .

cadmanchris
11-08-10, 08:16 PM
Glad it worked out for you, Big Windy. I discovered the same problem when tested fitting the cup holder. Here's what I found. There is a piece of plastic in front where 2 connectors are clipped on. It's got a perforation on it. I grabbed it and worked it until it snapped off. I tucked the harnesses a little lower and the cupholder seems to fit fine now. By the way, where did you hook up your orange and red wires, because I'm going to look for alternate places for these sources.

Big Windy Ext
11-09-10, 05:55 AM
To complete my install I cut that flap also .The orange went to my lockpic 12 volt switched , the red to the battery where I already have a line for the hid fogs I installed .

cadmanchris
11-09-10, 09:51 PM
I'm also using a jumper harness that we used for the heated washer recall to make the plug. It uses 5 wires...just what we need.

cadmanchris
11-11-10, 09:09 PM
OK, just finished my install. Works really well.

Zmax49686
11-19-10, 09:15 AM
This old thread has some good information regarding part numbers, wire colors, wiring diagram, wire numbers, connectors and terminals. The pictures are great. I wonder why Cadillac (GM) doesn't offer this as an option on the other GMT900 platforms?
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-2007/151305-2008-2009-platinum-heated-cooled-cup.html

cadmanchris
11-19-10, 10:07 PM
Not sure why they don't offer it, but Chad did my plate. I tried uploading pictures, but it keeps failing. But it seems to cool my drinks very well. Now that it's getting cold, I'll be using the heated part for my coffee.

Big Windy Ext
11-20-10, 06:48 AM
They need to have something to make the Platinum "exclusive" besides an ugly interior color, spider eye led headlights , $25.00 of veneer , and door sills . I don't think the wheels even look as good as the 22's . My opinion .

cadmanchris
11-20-10, 10:44 AM
I feel the same way. After showing my wife the platinum front and wheels, she totally hated it. I prefer my front and the stock 22's.

lactruck81
12-28-10, 11:30 PM
I have a Platinum bezel for sale on Ebay if anyone is interested. It was never wired up. 2007+

The front of the Platinum Escalade is bad ass...

MrHolland
12-29-10, 12:24 AM
WOW everything you all dont like about the Platinum I love. Thats ok, just more Platinums for me!!!!!!!!!!

bstiffmanofsteel
12-31-10, 06:55 PM
I love the front end and the wheels on the platinum. I do think they could've done a little more with the interior changes tho...

RxDetective
01-07-11, 09:46 PM
How were you able to swap out the brushed aluminum look for the wood look, does the wood unscrew off or did you have to pry it apart and hopefully it didnt break???

cadmanchris
01-08-11, 12:15 PM
The cup holder is held to the plate by 6 stakes that were melted. You drill them out with a small bit. You have to cut out the holes for the cup holder switches in the wood plate.

RxDetective
01-12-11, 10:14 AM
The cup holder is held to the plate by 6 stakes that were melted. You drill them out with a small bit. You have to cut out the holes for the cup holder switches in the wood plate.

Awsome, thanks for the very detailed description on how to do this it really helped out.

Litho
02-12-11, 07:02 AM
Does anyone know the cost & part numbers of changing the radio & pass side trim to platinum edition?

escaladeext01
12-06-12, 12:23 PM
Hi Guys,

I have an escalaed 2007 EXT. I just bought the heated and cooled cup holder from Ebay its from the platnim eddition ESV, i wanted to know how easy is the install, as well, my orignall finishing is wood grain and the cup holder is the plattnim finish, how do i change this and is there anything else that I require for this install. Can anyone help me.

cadillacmike68
12-23-12, 01:31 PM
OK, it's nice but $800??? And, i take it, that this is only for Escalades, not sedans, like the CTS or STS, so for long trips, i guess we'll continue to bring along the small Coleman cooler.

cadillac kevin
12-24-12, 09:42 AM
Damn...thats an expensive cupholder. Seems like it would be a cool option to have though.

cadmanchris
12-24-12, 09:56 AM
I put it in to warm up the baby's bottle. It's pretty cool to have.

I think I may have one in my garage if someone is interested. In tri state.

stogeman
01-07-13, 10:32 PM
Nice add somehow my esv has it but I never use it

ridesguy
01-08-13, 10:43 AM
I just did this mod too. I bought a new 07 console and a used platinum console. I am now assembling the old cup holders into the platinum unit and deleting the buttons to put it back to stock looking. Very involved project but I liked it.