: water pump cartridge won't come out!!!!!

EldoDonn
11-04-10, 04:58 PM
'95 Seville SLS, Northstar. I have the tool. Trying to turn CW...will NOT budge..hours..breaker bar with extension..penetrating oil..impact wrench..Will NOT budge...Suggestions????pleaseeeeeeeeee, Donn

Ranger
11-04-10, 08:45 PM
An impact is going to be your best bet. It usually only takes a few short bursts. I'd keep hammering away.

EldoDonn
11-05-10, 09:07 AM
I was hoping you'd comment Ranger, thanx....Wellllllll, out of complete frustration, I whacked the end of the impeller shaft a few good times, and it came out with impact wrench...Bad news is the keeper boss at 6 or 7 O'clock on the casting is gone...now I'm wondering if I should try to drill and tap that area for a 'retainer' screw or reassemble and see if pump flange warps from the 200 degree water to break the 'o' ring seal..ya, no, ya, no...Note-the missing boss wasn't found and the area isn't shiny...hmmmm Been missing? Oh yeah, I did reassemble almost everything to check for leaks...It did not leak from pully/o ring area, but DID leak from thermostat housing cover..I cracked it...off to get a new one..what a day

Ranger
11-05-10, 11:43 AM
Not sure what to tell you except that it is a royal PITA to change that crossover manifold aka water pump housing if it becomes necessary.

EldoDonn
11-05-10, 12:41 PM
Just got back from junk yard..The Caddy Gods have taken pity on me..They had a 4.6 laying on the floor to strip for the aluminum!!! Got thermo cover, 10 minutes, 10 bucks..Looks like the new style too..Told the stripper guy I'll probably need entire housing..He said come back next week and it will be laying on his bench...$30 and a 6-pack tip...Thanx for the support, Donn

Ranger
11-05-10, 09:02 PM
Great shopping. The easy part is out of the way.

EldoDonn
11-05-10, 09:23 PM
Seville is back on the road..No leaks so far..I'll be picking up the main waterpump housing next week as an insurance policy..Thanx again for chattin'...Till next puzzler, Donn over and out.