: Onstar minutes deals

mywifekids1
11-04-10, 03:37 PM
Hey fellow members does anyone know of any onstar minutes deal plans offered lately, you helped me out on the subcription to onstar now i'm looking for more minutes any advice.

caddyfat2
11-04-10, 04:26 PM
This is about as good as it gets.
(This has been cut & pasted from the OnStar website.)

Take advantage of our exclusive offer! Purchase now and roll over unused minutes with your active OnStar subscription.

Take advantage of our exclusive offer! Purchase now and roll over unused minutes with your active OnStar subscription.
200 min Exclusive $69.99
12 Months 100 min $39.99
12 Months 300 min $114.99
12 Months 500 min $174.99
12 Months 1000 min $299.99

lakeview
03-04-11, 11:37 AM
At onstar.com, they are offering me a $14.99 for 100 minutes exclusive to sign up (I am on the free trial now). When the dealer first called onstar.com from the truck the day I picked it up, they offered me 300 minutes for $4.99 if I gave them a credit card number and signed up right then.

ddalder
03-04-11, 11:59 AM
Yes, you can get an alright deal when you first sign up. After that, they are ridiculously priced. I used to have an OnStar minute sharing plan (which was expensive enough) so I could share my OnStar calls with my regular cell phone plan. They discontinued this which annoyed me a little. I'm not sure if it was OnStar that initiated the termination or the cell phone providers. They had partnered with Verizon in the US and Bell in Canada. Since it was terminated on both sides of the border, I can't help but think it was OnStar initiated.

Theory...

With more states and provinces moving toward a ban in handheld devices while driving, I think OnStar figured they would cash in and only sell genuine OnStar minutes at their everyday, outrageous price instead of allowing people to continue using the OnStar hardware with a regular cell provider plan. Just my two cents... fifty five cents if you count this as an OnStar minute!

Loren
03-04-11, 12:52 PM
I have Onstar on two of my vehicles, here's how it works, they send you an email before your current subscription expires. I always go the cheapest option, the $39.95 because the unused minutes roll over and we seldom use Onstar as a cell phone. Be aware that for your Onstar emergency notification to activate in the event of an accident or other problem, you have to have a current subscription. Onstar is actually Verizon, and if you go somewhere where there is no cell connection available to any cell provider to relay to Verizon, like down in a canyon or between tall city buildings it won't work, it is not a satellite connection. The satellite part is the XM radio connection which is a separate charge.

REFILL YOUR MINUTES TODAY AND
ROLL OVER YOUR CURRENT MINUTES.
Keep your unused minutes and don't let them expire. With OnStar®1 Hands-Free Calling, you get stronger reception and fewer dropped calls than with a regular cell phone, and there's nothing to hold while you're driving. Always keep enough minutes available to reach family and friends — just in case your cell phone isn't available or the battery isn't charged. Your minutes are good for a full year or until your subscription ends, and now's your chance to roll over any unused minutes before they expire.
Buy minutes online now. You can also order minutes by pushing your Onstar Hands-Free Calling button and saying "minutes."
To learn more, check out our Hands-Free Calling Quick Guide.

Once you get it activated you can connect and see how many minutes you have left, 'units' as they call them by saying UNITS when it connects and says Onstar ready. It will ask you if you want to 'verify' or 'add' s say verify and it'll tell you how many 'units' you have left. Or you can add more minutes by saying add. My 08 STS has a push button the right side of the steering wheel that looks like a face speaking, to use the system all you have to do is push that and hold it down for a couple of seconds and the radio shuts down and Onstar comes on. Push it again and it disconnects. The button is on the far right-
Photo: http://images.thecarconnection.com/lrg/2008-cadillac-sts-4-door-sedan-v6-rwd-w-1sc-steering-wheel_100259200_l.jpg

Onstar has several neat services for an extra cost, such as location, turn by turn navigation (directions to somewhere) and finding a hotel/restaurant and such but my TomTom does the same thing for nothing extra. Your owners manual packet should have a Onstar booklet and a couple of CD;s that will tell you all of this.

EChas3
03-04-11, 09:57 PM
IMHO, Onstar has a flawed business model. Priced reasonably, they could attract enough members to make serious money while delivering a great service. I bet they have less than 5% of eligible subscribers.

SlickCityStan
03-04-11, 10:12 PM
At onstar.com, they are offering me a $14.99 for 100 minutes exclusive to sign up (I am on the free trial now). When the dealer first called onstar.com from the truck the day I picked it up, they offered me 300 minutes for $4.99 if I gave them a credit card number and signed up right then.better make sure you read the fine print and call to cancel before it ends or you may find yourself paying their full retail price-unless 1. that's what you want or 2. You used a reloadable credit card that will have a 0 balance when it comes time to renew.

KRSTS
03-05-11, 12:30 AM
better make sure you read the fine print and call to cancel before it ends or you may find yourself paying their full retail price-unless 1. that's what you want or 2. You used a reloadable credit card that will have a 0 balance when it comes time to renew.

Or 3. Call the CC company and tell them you lost your card and they will re-issue a new card with a new number. That's what I had to do with XM radio. Now I make them invoice me and pay by check.:thumbsup: