: Not your usual voice recognition problem.

jjj663
11-04-10, 01:27 PM
I recently purchased a 2008 STS that has navigation and loaded. When I hit the voice recognition button on the steering wheel the radio mutes and nothing else happens. In my 2005 STS I would get a response of “Say a Command”. Any ideas?

galaxy1000
11-04-10, 09:13 PM
If you hold the button for about 5 seconds you get the say a command line, at least you do in my 2009

EChas3
11-04-10, 09:57 PM
Beeep! That's your cue.

When it's cold, almost anything you say is treated as "Windows Down"! At least it asks to confirm before it does it. Beware, 'no' sounds like 'yes' to STS VR. (Irony)

But seriously, one VR command that works with little practice is "Phone Dial Name". Program your phonebook and this one function makes the VR worthwhile.

Other than that, buy a lockpick, VR is too much work to learn.

The Firware upgrade helps a lot, but a Lockpick makes the Nav, etc. useable.

AllWheelEric
11-05-10, 10:54 PM
I recently purchased a 2008 STS that has navigation and loaded. When I hit the voice recognition button on the steering wheel the radio mutes and nothing else happens. In my 2005 STS I would get a response of “Say a Command”. Any ideas?

Just a guess. If you use route guidance, do you get voice announcements? If so, I have no ideas. If not, check the navigation volume setting.

jjj663
11-06-10, 12:55 AM
Hi Everyone. Went to the dealer and it was a Navigation issue. They replaced the unit and it works fine now. Thanks for the help

turnne
11-06-10, 12:21 PM
Beeep! That's your cue.

When it's cold, almost anything you say is treated as "Windows Down"! At least it asks to confirm before it does it. Beware, 'no' sounds like 'yes' to STS VR. (Irony)

But seriously, one VR command that works with little practice is "Phone Dial Name". Program your phonebook and this one function makes the VR worthwhile.

Other than that, buy a lockpick, VR is too much work to learn.

The Firware upgrade helps a lot, but a Lockpick makes the Nav, etc. useable.

As I have said before a poorly designed/engineered system that is/was not competitive in the marketplace.
I haven't even tried to use my months...the last time was a lot of frustration

Warren

tomm
11-11-10, 06:18 PM
Hi Everyone. Went to the dealer and it was a Navigation issue. They replaced the unit and it works fine now. Thanks for the help

Glad they solved the problem for you. In the 3 years I have had my STS I have never used a voice command.