: I screwed up and got keyed. Need advice please.

JackG
11-03-10, 10:42 PM
Hey guys, I hope all is well. Things have been great with my sts this first year of ownership. Very happy with it :)

Something happened today though.. I screwed up.
I was late for work and in a rush I accidentally partially blocked a home drive way.

I came out form lunch and saw my tire flattened, a curse filled note on the windsheild and my trunk (backside) was keyed about 8 inched down to white (my car is black).

Its understandable the the home owner was angry. She couldent get out. She is a 70 year old woman who has the look of the devil in her eyes. What could I do... anyway.

The scratch is 8 inches ling. I can run my fingernail in it..its that deep. Black car, white line down the back. Very ugly. I got to fix this the cheapest way posible by myself.

Can someone please give me advice? I was thinking rubbing compound.. then touch up paint..let it dry then rubing comppund again? Or should I just use touch up paint.

Also, can someone please tell me or give me a link to the best quality GM touch up paint for my car: 2005 Black v6

Thanks guys..I appreciate this help.

RippyPartsDept
11-03-10, 11:29 PM
your local dealers (cadillac or other brand) may have it in stock
there is only one touch up paint that GM sells
shouldn't cost more than $15 or so, maybe less
if they don't stock it keep calling around to see if anyone does stock it as it may take a week or so to get it in if you have to order it

hammer489
11-04-10, 12:15 AM
Criminal act of vandilism? You're not very bright but still doesn't warrant a key mark across your trunk lid and a flat tire.

JackG
11-04-10, 12:32 AM
Where can I find the paint code for my car (2005 v6 black)?

hammer489
11-04-10, 01:39 AM
its called gloss black sold in home depot made by rustoleum.

JackG
11-04-10, 08:48 AM
I want to get an exact match. I heard there was a sticker somewhere on the car that gives a paint code. Is that true

KRSTS
11-04-10, 09:31 AM
Try this. Worked for me: http://www.drcolorchip.com/

leftturn
11-04-10, 09:59 AM
You probably need to re-paint the area. I just hope the metal isn't dented since that would probably require professional help to fix. You can get a spray can from www.touchuppaintonline.com, sand the area, cover up the surroundings, and just paint then clearcoat.

How wide is the scratch? Is it like a hairline scratch? If it's anything wider than that, I would definitely stay away from dr. colorship, that stuff only works on really small scratches.

dkozloski
11-04-10, 10:37 AM
Any home repair to the paint on a black Cadillac will show up like a horse turd in a cream jar.

A tag with all the option codes is located on the bottom side of the spare tire cover in the trunk.

RippyPartsDept
11-04-10, 11:06 AM
Dealer can pull the code with you VIN number... the touch up paints have the WA numbers listed with them along with the gm RPO (which is how the VIN filters the different parts out)

The Tony Show
11-04-10, 11:17 AM
I'd advise you to file a police report and make the lady pay for the scratches to be professionally repainted. Regardless of whether or not you blocked her driveway, vandalism is a crime.

kschwed
11-04-10, 11:47 AM
I'd advise you to file a police report and make the lady pay for the scratches to be professionally repainted. Regardless of whether or not you blocked her driveway, vandalism is a crime.

I agree. Your mistake is no reason for her to flatten your tire and key your car. She should pay.

OH WOW
11-04-10, 12:54 PM
REVENGE:horse:

JackG
11-04-10, 01:36 PM
Cops said that since I dont have proof I cant do anything

JackG
11-04-10, 01:43 PM
Thanks Chris and everyone else. The scratch is a little bigger then hairline. I am just going to touch it up with a brush when I find the paint. I am so angry because I keep my car so mint.

blunted
11-04-10, 02:25 PM
Didn't you say she left a cursed filled note.. that wasn't enough for the cops?

J-Ridez
11-04-10, 02:56 PM
I got my black Escalde keyed two months ago across the whole tailgate....scratch is about 2 ft long and down to the white. The best fix is to get it repainted, nothing else will work. I'm a total car guy and tried everything, no type of rubbing compound will take out a scratch that's down to the primer. I touched it up and it looked absolutely horrible....then I color sanded it with 2500 grit sandpaper to remove the excess paint on the side of the scracth, then used a rotory buffer at 1500 rpm to buff it out and the scratch still looked horrible because touch up paint is too thick to really fill a scratch, it only covers it and sanding & buffing pretty much removed it all since the touch up paint just sits on the surface. On the bright side the rest of the tailgate looked great from all the buffing & waxing..LOL

Either way - just spring a couple hundred bucks and get it painted, if it's only your trunk and can be sectioned off and masked off easily it shouldn't be too expensive and will be well worth it, especially when you sell it later.

Bigdawg58
11-04-10, 03:59 PM
yea I know what you are feeling....left my car in parking not blocking or encroaching on some elses parking or moving space and got keyed rear trunk......only thing I can figure is a hater of cadillac/owners? OH Well gonna have pro take care of mine and some other chips on front end now.

Bigdawg58
11-04-10, 04:00 PM
yea I know what you are feeling....left my car in parking space not blocking or encroaching on some elses parking or moving space and got keyed rear trunk......only thing I can figure is a hater of cadillac/owners? :crying2: OH Well gonna have pro take care of mine and some other chips on front end now.

JackG
11-04-10, 06:26 PM
Ironiclly..I found an old post on this forum tha I made about touch up paint. Someone brought up a touch up Pen./. I ordered one and a clearcoat . Lets see if the pen can fit into the groove and nicley cover the scratch. If anyone has a 2005 Black v6 sts.. the color code is U8555

Thanks again everyone. This community is great. And dammm is the sts classy or what :)

RippyPartsDept
11-04-10, 06:40 PM
GM has switched all their touch up bottles to pen+brush... the top is a ballpoint type pen (you have to remove an orange insert by unscrewing as if you were going to use the brush)
don't forget to put the insert back in when you're done w/ the pen tip

dkozloski
11-04-10, 06:57 PM
If you just want to cover it up with a quick fix that won't show from 10 feet away just use a black Crayon to fill in the scratch and lightly wipe off the excess much like repairing a scratch in furniture with a tinted wax stick from the paint store.

Greg00coupe
11-04-10, 08:09 PM
Go to any used car lot and ask them who their repair guy is. There are plenty of mobile repair services. These guys a re amazing and reasonable. My buddy had a car lot and about 20 cars got keyed one night. Very ugly......... the mobile fix it guy made it all good.

M.A.C
11-04-10, 09:31 PM
The first thing you should have done is contact the police. I agree with Tony, contact them and file a report. Then send a letter to the residence demanding that she pay for the damages. I don't care how old she is and that she couldn't get out. There is a right way to handle idiot mistakes like blocking driveways. She should have either been patient or contact the police.

EChas3
11-04-10, 09:39 PM
Regardless of what a cop may say, they can't stop you from filing a report. Do it. Call back once a week for an update, if it brings you pleasure. They work for you. If they don't, make them.

There may not be much hope for getting it paid unless you have collision coverage. Even with the modest resale price on these cars, most owners carry coverage to protect their investment. I do. ('course the deers outnumber cars in most of Wisconsin.)

Good luck. Fix it right and be proud of your ride.

PS: Next time, pay the $6 for parking.

dkozloski
11-05-10, 12:35 AM
The guys I know that are really good with scratches apply paint with a cocktail toothpick, a surgeons scalpel, and a moistened fingertip. They put on enough paint to where it's a little high to where they can scrape it down to the original level with a scalpel and carefully sand it smooth with wet-or-dry paper. They put a coat of clear over it with a Badger Airbrush and buff the whole works out. The results they get can take your breath away. The show alone is worth the price you pay.

One night on "American Choppers" they had an accident while assembling a bike and they had to get their paint guy in to fix it and it was the best thing they ever had on the show.

EChas3
11-05-10, 10:21 PM
It's amazing what an expert can do. Unfortunately, the best are modest and the worst claim perfection.

Ain't life grand!

Jmac572
11-08-10, 07:56 AM
You should follow the above advice, this was a serious thing and thouch-up paint will not fix this, the general rule is... If you can catch a scratch with your nail it needs to be professionaly repaired, all the rubbing compound in the world wont fix that, the entire panel needs to be brought to primer and repainted, file a report and turn in the note... Or you can just pay the deductable and have insurance cover the rest, probably looking at a total price tag of around $8-900, there will be no surcharge if you take this route and if they can prove it was that women, then she will be responsible for the deductable.

cadiwoman
11-08-10, 03:37 PM
sounds like that woman has what's coming to her. she had no right to do any of that. you might want to talk to her neighbors to see if you can find a witness because she was probably making a commotion out there as well... who knows maybe someone peeked out of their blinds to see what was going on.

As far as fixing the scratch, I would recommend going to a shop if you have the bucks. If you wanna save some scratch, my friend was telling me he tried automotivetouchup (http://www.automotivetouchup.com) and he had good results.

mike sts
11-08-10, 08:43 PM
It is very cheap to file small claims case, sue her and have it done right, paint must be matched just ordering it from gm wont work color wont be perfect

cadillac48170
11-08-10, 08:56 PM
41U is you color! I have a Black Raven as well. Look at the options label in the trunk. The exterior color is always --U, unless you have two-tone then it would be --U & --L, for upper & lower. Interior is --I. If you have grey, like I do it would be 13I.

Slee_Stack
11-10-10, 09:28 AM
You can still file a police report if you have the note. Yes, you blocked her driveway. What she should have done is have you towed. But she chose to act like a child and deserves to be reprimanded for it.

mike sts
11-10-10, 08:34 PM
Gotta be more to this story come clean, girlfirend or wife caught you with another chick right LOL

8323matt
11-10-10, 09:00 PM
what do you have as insurance coverage? If you know your agent I would talk to him or her. I would take it to small claims court! Do it the right way the first time