: Buying 07 or 08 DTS Luxury II or the performance pkg??

Alc
11-03-10, 10:13 PM
Hey guys I need some advice. I'm debating on trading in my 2010 Acura TL its a great car but I would like something that rides smoother and I also want a less expensive car payment so I narrowed it down to the DTS. I have always loved driving Cadillac's, I have been in the car business for about 11 years so I have driven just about every non exotic car on the road and nothing rides quite like a Cadi. I drove a few STS models but I thought they lacked the smooth road feel that the Devilles provided.

I work for a Chevy dealer and have access to off lease Cadillacs at wholesale so I can see them and get all the details but I obviously can't drive them. My local dealer has a bunch of DTS's but none in the performance pkg.

Has anyone driven both? from the reviews that I have read the performance pkg doesn't hinder the smooth ride "much" but that's one opinion so I was hoping to get a few owner opinions.

I look forward to reading some of your thoughts.

ffrog
11-04-10, 10:43 AM
Hey guys I need some advice. I'm debating on trading in my 2010 Acura TL its a great car but I would like something that rides smoother and I also want a less expensive car payment so I narrowed it down to the DTS. I have always loved driving Cadillac's, I have been in the car business for about 11 years so I have driven just about every non exotic car on the road and nothing rides quite like a Cadi. I drove a few STS models but I thought they lacked the smooth road feel that the Devilles provided.

I work for a Chevy dealer and have access to off lease Cadillacs at wholesale so I can see them and get all the details but I obviously can't drive them. My local dealer has a bunch of DTS's but none in the performance pkg.

Has anyone driven both? from the reviews that I have read the performance pkg doesn't hinder the smooth ride "much" but that's one opinion so I was hoping to get a few owner opinions.

I look forward to reading some of your thoughts.

I have rented (business trips) base model DTSs and find that the ride is smooth but very mushy. At the end of trips I was tired and felt queasy from the soft swaying ride.

I purchased a 2006 DTS Performance (new) and have taken it on much longer trips than my rentals. I never got the queasy feeling and felt as though I could go for another 500 miles or so without a problem.

The Performance will offer a very smooth controlled ride without being mushy. It holds the rode much better and just feels more confident.

For me, the ideal DTS would be the base model with the Performance package, but that ainít goanna happen.

Coming from an Acura I think you will appreciate the Performance version more.

That is just my opinion.

LOL

TulsaVic
11-04-10, 06:50 PM
ditto to ffrog. In sequence I drove a CTS (too confining but a nice ride), a STS with the N*, DTS Lux III, and DTS Performance. The STS was not bad but the seats were not very comfortable, and I really did't feel the 330hp of the N*. The DTS LuxIII was pretty nice but as ffrog said, kind of mushy. Then slipped into the DTS Performance. It felt planted. Comfortable around town--the MRC allowed a softer ride (though not quite as soft as the LuxIII). But on the highway, wow. Complete confidence and control. No wallowing, yet not the least bit harsh. It really does need to be the standard suspension on all Cadillacs. The Performance model also gets you different gearing and transmission algorithms which makes the car more responsive.

But tastes are personal. You really need to drive one.....

Alc
11-04-10, 10:43 PM
I drove both today and you guys are spot on. The Lux was nice but also "floaty" especially compared to my TL. My concern was that the performance model would not provide the smooth Cadillac ride but it drove very nice and I liked the little extra "GRRRRR" provided by the extra power.