: Key fob battery replacement

junedonofrio
11-03-10, 09:48 AM
Hi, i have a 2008 STS & cant figure out how to open the key fob to replace the battery, someone else said to look for small slot, but i could not find anything like that, others said that the battery type is on the back of the key fob, but i dont have that either on my fob. i took the hidden key out & thought about just trying to pry apart the case, but i am really affraid i will break it. the key fob is really expensive to replace. when i take out the inside key there is a number
GM/S 25854935 i think this is the type of key fob i have. any help will be greatly appreciated !
June

KRSTS
11-03-10, 09:54 AM
There is no slot on a 2008 fob. Just take the silver end with the key off, stick a small screwdriver in there and pry apart. If your careful it will come apart. You will not break it.

stasis096
11-03-10, 11:28 AM
I have a 2005 STS Key Fob. Anybody else have the little plastic piece break off where the key ring loops around the plastic fob? Within 6 months of owning the car i've had both Key Fobs have that little plastic piece break off. Seems like a design flaw to me and i bet ya the later STS's have beefier FOB's where the key ring loops to it.

Greg00coupe
11-03-10, 12:09 PM
I have an 05 and have no problems. Am sparing the details it been throught some unexpect situations where I expected it to break. I'd suggest it is not a design flaw rather more likly a bad batch of plastic. I've experienced that is other items like a Sears refrigerator.

SlickCityStan
11-03-10, 12:29 PM
I have an 05 and have no problems. Am sparing the details it been throught some unexpect situations where I expected it to break. I'd suggest it is not a design flaw rather more likly a bad batch of plastic. I've experienced that is other items like a Sears refrigerator. sorry didnt read 2nd post carefully please disregard