: Blasphemy!! Escalade vs Tahoe

desidon
11-03-10, 08:49 AM
Took in my escalade for service yesterday and the dealer promptly gave me a rental from enterprise to drive around.(No questions asked...even though I did not buy the car from them...take notes BMW!!)

I got a 2011 Chevy Tahoe LT. I have been driving around in it for a day and just in terms of ride quality I notice a difference. It rides more luxuriously vs my escalade....maybe thats because of the 22's on the escalade. Also I like the seating position better and the seats themselves were more comfortable I thought...especially the side bolsters felt like they snug the body better.

A lot of components were shared between them as I noticed. I liked the cylinder deactivation feature on the Tahoe which my 07 escalade does not have.

I am curious to hear from other people if they had similar experiences or if I am way off here.

Rolex
11-03-10, 09:25 AM
The Tahoe LTZ is a very nice SUV. It kind of goes without saying that the two vehicles share a lot of parts. :)

evois
11-03-10, 10:35 AM
my dealer usually gives me a 2011 escalade esv or shortbase escalade. in terms of power, the regular escalades have a lot of it and very agile because of the speed. but, it is very noisy(exhaust) which is unlike my escalade hybrid that is so quiet on the road that you think you are driving the LX570. btw I also got a suburban in one of my rentals, not related to the escalade and I prefer the escalade better, just because......

K9Caddy
11-03-10, 11:44 AM
IMO, I thought the Tahoe trim package was horrible compared to the Escalade. The escalade was leap and bounds better, even with the 22" wheels. However, mine does have the magnetic ride control.

SouthernCaddy
11-03-10, 07:37 PM
"cylinder deactivation" they can keep that junk!!!! I want mine firing on all 8 all the time!

2007caddy
11-03-10, 08:07 PM
I rented a 2010 last year while in NYC, the ride was good but didn't compare to the Escalade...very similar inside without the extras...haven't driven 2011 yet though to really provide feedback on your question...are there any suspension changes between the 2010 and 2011?

jcrack_corn
11-03-10, 08:35 PM
i have a tahoe ltz and an escalade platinum.

lol @ the ride. the tahoe is very nice, but it is not even the same universe as the magnetic ride control escalade.

the platinum (on 22's) rides better than any vehicle i have ever had, including a 750Li and CLS55 (although that was essentially tuned as a race car, stiff as hell, lol).

it is not even close.....it really feels like riding on a cushion of air.

escalade platinum>>>>>>>>>>>>750LI>>>Infiniti qx56>>>TahoeLTZ>>CLS55

Bear
11-03-10, 09:52 PM
"cylinder deactivation" they can keep that junk!!!! I want mine firing on all 8 all the time!

Not to get off topic, but it's not junk and I would be surprised if anyone can detect when the switch occurs. I have it in my 2010, no question when I step on the gas it's running all 8 with more then enough power. I have had several folks in the truck and asked them to tell me when it drops to 4. No one has yet felt or heard the change. When I watch it (in the DIC) it only happens while rolling, and then only when coasting. If you're sitting at a light it's in 8 cylinder mode.

Personally I like the idea and will look to see if it has any effect on mileage.

Flavoade
11-03-10, 10:13 PM
Not to get off topic, but it's not junk and I would be surprised if anyone can detect when the switch occurs. I have it in my 2010, no question when I step on the gas it's running all 8 with more then enough power. I have had several folks in the truck and asked them to tell me when it drops to 4. No one has yet felt or heard the change. When I watch it (in the DIC) it only happens while rolling, and then only when coasting. If you're sitting at a light it's in 8 cylinder mode.

Personally I like the idea and will look to see if it has any effect on mileage.

LOL. I think the guy above called it junk because of its notorious history. When GM first came out with the North-star motor, there was a problem where the cylinders would deactivate to save gas, but they WOULD NOT reactivate. They were good engines though. People have stayed away from them because of that past issue. They may have it all figured out now. Since other manufacturers are using this technology, they might have shared it.

TSS
11-04-10, 01:56 PM
It is completely undetectable in my 09 Impala SS 5.3 , and is not junk. Older attempts by GM at cylinder deactivation per the Caddy V8-6-4 failed miserably. It's a new day.

07maralade
11-04-10, 09:30 PM
The tahoe rode better because it has newer shocks and the suspension didn't have as much wear and tear on them. I have a 07 too and the original shocks have 75k miles on them, my caddy rides terrible.

Hell Hound
11-19-10, 06:33 PM
I had an 08 Tahoe and traded it in for a new Denali. I want my Tahoe back. And one other thing, I can tell when the Tahoe switched to running on 4 by the feel of the pedal and the sound other than that you can't tell.

TSS
11-29-10, 08:54 AM
^^ Interesting. I drove my neighbor's 2011 Suburban 5.3 last night and agree. It is detectable IF you are looking for it. Most average driver's would not notice anyhting at all. The switch from 4 to 8 is instantaneous when needed too.

On my Impala SS 5.3 , it is not detectable at all. No sound change, no pedal difference, nothing.