: Remote Start - How to Activate Climate Controls

Cad96k
11-02-10, 09:02 AM
According to the manual when you use remote start there is an option to have the heated seat come on and to have the climate controls on 'auto' to return to the settings you had when the car was turned off.

I can't get this to work. I set the heated seat option using the Config menu and I left he climate control settings on Auto before turning the car off.

It was below freezing this morning and my remote start only turned the engine on - the climate control, heated seat, radio, etc. were dormant.

Can anyone suggest a step that I've missed? I have the 1SC pkg and on the Config menu there is clearly an option to have heated seat ON when remote start is used.

Thanks

KevinOpp
11-03-10, 05:21 PM
fwiw, i just posted a similar question on another thread re: intemittently working heated seats. here is my post:

another question---the heated seats are set to come on with the remote start when it's cold enough. since it's been 32 up here, i guess they should be coming on, but it's not lit up when i get into the car after a remote start, even if they've been on the last time i used the car when i shut down. however, the rear defrost (also a config. option) is lit up. anyone know if they are actually coming on, just not lighting up? 'tis the season where we're all going to start using this feature.

sube5186
11-03-10, 05:49 PM
When the heated seats come on during a remote start the green lights next to the heated seat button DO NOT illuminate. Don't ask me why they designed it this way, but they did. :hmm: This was actually mentioned on the GM Techlink website (before they locked out the public). The seats will not be warm to the touch. You have to actually sit in them to feel the heat. That's because there is padding between the heating element and the seating surfaces. Only when the seat bottom is compressed after you sit down, will you feel the heat. It would have been a lot easier to figure out if they just designed the system so that the buttons were lit.

Sube

KevinOpp
11-03-10, 09:27 PM
hi sube, good to back on the forum. i was inadvertantly locked out for a few weeks.

how the heck do you know as much as you do, anyway?? are you a designer incognito?

KevinOpp
11-03-10, 09:28 PM
p.s.--my seat lights are amber. are yours really green?

sube5186
11-03-10, 11:30 PM
How the heck do you know as much as you do, anyway?? are you a designer incognito?

Nope. It just comes with having the car almost a year now. Between reading the manual, playing with the features and of course perusing this forum, I couldn't help but absorb a lot over the past year.

My seat lights are amber. are yours really green?

Ooooops! Was recalling the color by memory. Mine are amber as well.

Sube

sube5186
11-04-10, 12:07 AM
Ok, looks like the TechLink is back up again. Here's the link about the heated seats button. I copied the section below just in case the site becomes inaccessible again.

http://www.sandyblogs.com/cgi-bin/mt/mt-search.cgi?search=srx&IncludeBlogs=10&limit=20&page=2

Remote Start Seat Heating and Ventilation
By Blog Post on March 1, 2010 11:00 PM

Some Global A architecture vehicles (2010 Camaro, LaCrosse, SRX, Equinox, Terrain) allow the driver to configure the heated and ventilated seats (if equipped) to turn on once a remote start is commanded.

TIP: Refer to the Vehicle Personalization Climate and Air Quality menu settings using the audio system controls to turn the remote start heated and vented seats feature on/off.

The heated seats will only operate if the outside air temperature is below 50˚F (10˚C) as measured by the outside air temperature sensor. Seat ventilation will only operate if the outside air temperature is above 80˚F (27˚C).

When seat heating is commanded, the heating level will be set to the High setting. On some vehicles, the LED display for the heating or ventilation level will not be illuminated during remote start operation.

When the key is inserted in the ignition and turned to the On position, the heated seats will automatically turn off. If heated seat operation is desired after the remote start, the heated seat will need to be activated manually by the occupant.

Be aware that during remote start heated seat operation, since there is no occupant in the seat, the occupant may feel little or no difference in the temperature of the seat. This condition is due to little heat transfer to the seat cover since there is no weight on the cushion. With remote start still active, once the seat is occupied and the seat cover is pressed against the heater element, heat will begin to transfer more rapidly to the seat cover.

Sube

Smokin' SRX
11-04-10, 12:09 AM
According to the manual when you use remote start there is an option to have the heated seat come on and to have the climate controls on 'auto' to return to the settings you had when the car was turned off.

I can't get this to work. I set the heated seat option using the Config menu and I left he climate control settings on Auto before turning the car off.

It was below freezing this morning and my remote start only turned the engine on - the climate control, heated seat, radio, etc. were dormant.

Can anyone suggest a step that I've missed? I have the 1SC pkg and on the Config menu there is clearly an option to have heated seat ON when remote start is used.

Thanks

In addition to above answers, the Climate system won't blow Cold air. The Eng must be warmed up first, and then hot air will blow, so if you're getting there too quick...........

SS

KevinOpp
11-04-10, 12:39 PM
In addition to above answers, the Climate system won't blow Cold air. The Eng must be warmed up first, and then hot air will blow, so if you're getting there too quick...........

SS

for that matter, what about the A/C always being lit up when on Auto? i don't really want the compressor drying out already dry winter air if it's using it on the warmer temperatures. but again, i dunno if it just lights up to show that it CAN go on if a lower temp is selected. anyone know?

Smokin' SRX
11-04-10, 01:04 PM
for that matter, what about the A/C always being lit up when on Auto? i don't really want the compressor drying out already dry winter air if it's using it on the warmer temperatures. but again, i dunno if it just lights up to show that it CAN go on if a lower temp is selected. anyone know?

KevinOpp there is an option in Climate menu, for Humidity sensing. If selected, the car automatically senses high humidity INSIDE the car (body heat/moisture/ breath of passengers ans automatically turns on A/C compressor to de-humidify cabin air. I turned mine OFF as it was making the A/C blow colder than I set it for in past summer. May turn it back on for the winter. I'm sure you know it usaully runs with the defrosters on (front only ) also , for same reason. Snow on your feet puts lots of water vapor into the cabin, as it melts.

This may be what you're seeing?

SS

Tarry
11-07-10, 04:18 PM
:helpless:I have had our 2010 SRX for almost a year and this remote start climate control, other than my chrome falling off, was the only reason I took my car in for service. Guess what, they printed the bulletin quoted here and said it was working. Well I just gave up, remote start does nothing but warm up the engine. There is nothing they can do about it and tell you it's on you just don't feel it. I know I'm getting old and lost some of my feelings but I just wrote this one off as something promised but not delivered. Maybe if I want to waste more of my time, I'll take it back for a test they said would take several hours.....but I'm sure this is bogus. Maybe that's who I should call Car talk!

Cad96k
11-08-10, 02:06 PM
Lots of good advice here. Thanks! I also wondered why my AC was lighting up when I hit Auto and the outside temp is below freezing. I'll try turning off the humidity sensor and report back if that doesn't solve it.

jcarlilesiu
11-08-10, 02:14 PM
Somebody stated this earlier in the thread, but I still think some people aren't getting it.

The car is designed to not engage the blower on the climate control until the engine has had an oppurtunity to warm up enough to heat the cabin.

Thus, if you were to get into the car without remote start, and start the engine, and put the climate control on 90 degrees AUTO, it would not start blowing air. The car isn't going to blow cold air in your face. Instead, it waits until the engine has warmed up enough to actually heat the air and then engages the blower.

TheCaptain
11-08-10, 05:20 PM
Also, the AC compressor is tied to Auto. As soon as Auto is on, it controls humidity and air quality in the SRX with help of the compressor.

Cad96k
11-09-10, 01:38 PM
Follow up: Could not turn off AC indicator light when Auto is selected (as Captain states in above post). In the vehicle settings there is an option for the Air Quality Sensor at low or high sensitivity, but not for "humidity" levels. Oddly, the manual (pg 4-42) doesn't really say what the Air Quality Sensor senses. I guess I'll try low and high and see if anything happens.

KevinOpp
11-09-10, 03:51 PM
yeah, i wasn't sure what everyone was referring to re: "Humidity control". i certainly don't have that as an option. and the Air Quality has been discussed in another thread---it has to do with sensing exhaust gasses from the car in front of you and switching from fresh air to recirculate.

i realize that just b/c the A/C indicator is lit when on Auto doesn't necessarily mean that it's "on", but i also hate not knowing. as i posted earlier, now we've got dry winter air (no melting snow inside the cabin yet), and i certainly don't want the compressor drying out the air even more. so i can't help myself but to turn it off if i'm running in Auto.