: November 2010 GM TechLink

stevec5375
11-01-10, 09:30 PM
http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/2010/11/

If you go to this web page, you can then search for "SRX" and turn up some interesting things.

RippyPartsDept
11-01-10, 09:52 PM
http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46875&st=0&p=347889&#entry347889

that post kind of describes why this 'blog' would have the gm techlink on it.... technically they're breaking some sort of law (i would assume) but it's probably not a big deal at all

ewill3rd
11-01-10, 09:57 PM
rippy, that is actually where the techlink online magazine is hosted.
Sometimes the computer nerds at GM forget that some people know how to link to things outside of their precious firewall protected stuff.
If you click the link for Techlink from your Globalconnect homepage you will see the same URL.

Techlink is an excellent resource for information, not a source for "insider information" to go whine about stuff that isn't wrong with your car but you think it is because you read it on the internet.
Sad, but true.

TheCaptain
11-01-10, 10:19 PM
I read it on the interwebs! It must be true!
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_tjRbp1akCT0/R_LOVcqpHpI/AAAAAAAAAAw/I20NcsEppKg/s1600/xkcd-SomeoneWrongOnInternet.png

TheCaptain
11-01-10, 10:27 PM
Techlink is an excellent resource for information, not a source for "insider information" to go whine about stuff that isn't wrong with your car but you think it is because you read it on the internet.
Sad, but true.

That's like... what the disease you think you have everything you see or that someone else has?? That one. :rofl:

RippyPartsDept
11-01-10, 11:02 PM
yeah i thought it was a bit weird that it was behind the gm dealerworld (global connect) login ... never really noticed the URL

did they lose the gmtechlink.com url to a squatter or something?

stevec5375
11-02-10, 09:27 AM
All the information contained in TechLink should be made public. How many people on this forum go to their dealer complaining about issues only to be met with "Gee, I've never seen that problem before." Do they bother to go look for it in their bulletins on on TechLink? No! This has already happened to me once and I had to call Cadillac and get them involved and finally ended up at a dealership 1.5 hours away because mine didn't know squat. Within 15 minutes the "other" dealer said, "There a bulletin on that."

And as far as my finding this GM TechLink URL. Google did the trick. There was no magic involved. It's there for all to find.

ewill3rd
11-02-10, 09:29 AM
If I had the energy I do know who to ask as to why it is hosted there, but no I don't really know.
I always thought it was strange that it had that URL on it.

Don't get me wrong guys, there is a lot of really useful information in there that would help a car owner to know.
It might give some people an idea of what we are really up against sometimes.
I don't have problems with anyone reading tech articles, bulletins, or the like. I do resent it when people come in and beat me over the head with it trying to prove to me that they know what is wrong based on something they read on the old "interweb", when I know it isn't.
Don't get me wrong, many times that stuff applies but as stated above sometimes this turns people in to what I refer to as "auto-chondriacs".

I usually read new TSB's and other documents as they come out but I always check them first thing when I see something new.
Granted I don't know them all and from time to time customers have brought something to my attention I haven't heard of. This forum does it all the time.

stevec5375
11-02-10, 12:27 PM
If I had the energy I do know who to ask as to why it is hosted there, but no I don't really know.
I always thought it was strange that it had that URL on it.

Don't get me wrong guys, there is a lot of really useful information in there that would help a car owner to know.
It might give some people an idea of what we are really up against sometimes.
I don't have problems with anyone reading tech articles, bulletins, or the like. I do resent it when people come in and beat me over the head with it trying to prove to me that they know what is wrong based on something they read on the old "interweb", when I know it isn't.
Don't get me wrong, many times that stuff applies but as stated above sometimes this turns people in to what I refer to as "auto-chondriacs".

I usually read new TSB's and other documents as they come out but I always check them first thing when I see something new.
Granted I don't know them all and from time to time customers have brought something to my attention I haven't heard of. This forum does it all the time.

I can thoroughly understand about the "auto-chondriacs". (Nice term, by the way.)

Kudos to you for attempting to stay on top of the TSBs. I wish they were all like you. Cadillac should make those TSBs available as one big PDF file. That way you could do a text search and speed up finding problems/solutions without having to dig through a bunch of individual documents. (Perhaps they do?)

I am not one to go looking for problems where there are none. But, when I find one, I do not want to have to be the guy who has to tell his dealership that it is a known issue with a TSB on it.

Ballard
11-02-10, 12:43 PM
Myself not being a auto-tech, I find these type of links as a tool. Before I make the hour drive to the dealer,I may look up any issues/updates/recalls. I use them as needed, kind of like a aspirin . Ballard

ewill3rd
11-02-10, 02:05 PM
The way the computerized service information is set up now, it is easy to search.
You enter the vehicle context then click a box to do a document or title search. A document search is more complex, it actually searches each document in the manual for any keywords you type in, the title search only checks titles. Both are very handy and once you get used to using it you can find what you need very quickly.
It does take practice.

It is hard to keep up, they release lots and lots of bulletins.

Techlink is a great tool, I used to know several guys who contributed articles regularly.