: timing

2010 tank
11-01-10, 07:58 PM
if i change the ignition module do i have to do anything with the timing? or is it plug and play if you know what i mean

Sevillian273
11-01-10, 08:57 PM
PnP.

the recluse
11-01-10, 09:05 PM
If your car still doesn't start you may have a problem with the pick up coil, as it's the only thing left in the distributor you may not have addressed yet....

2010 tank
11-01-10, 09:19 PM
i let you know as soon as i replace the module. if go no go, thanks

drewsdeville
11-01-10, 09:32 PM
I haven't been following the OP's problem, but...

I hope you aren't blindly replacing dizzy parts without confirming power TO the dizzy first. I've seen it happen before, and while it was funny, it's nothing that should be repeated,

2010 tank
11-01-10, 10:35 PM

I hope you aren't blindly replacing dizzy parts without confirming power TO the dizzy first. I've seen it happen before, and while it was funny, it's nothing that should be repeated,well just checked it and it read 11.8 is that right?

2010 tank
11-01-10, 10:36 PM
still no go. well got to send it to get a diagnostic reading, oh well i tried

the recluse
11-01-10, 10:37 PM

I hope you aren't blindly replacing dizzy parts without confirming power TO the dizzy first. I've seen it happen before, and while it was funny, it's nothing that should be repeated,

Hard to say as he is spread over numerous threads, but his coil had nuclear meltdown and he's trying to piece things back together. With no codes given it's hard to diagnose, but a melted coil and no start can usually mean dizzy problems at only 1 of 2 places (assuming coil, cap, and rotor have been replaced) ICM, or pick up coil...

Tested 11.8 on what, tank?

2010 tank
11-01-10, 10:41 PM
Hard to say as he is spread over numerous threads, but his coil had nuclear meltdown and he's trying to piece things back together. With no codes given it's hard to diagnose, but a melted coil and no start can usually mean dizzy problems at only 1 of 2 places (assuming coil, cap, and rotor have been replaced) ICM, or pick up coil...

Tested 11.8 on what, tank?sorry the plug that goes to the coil. codes e52. cap, coil and ignition module have been replaced

the recluse
11-01-10, 11:37 PM
E52 only means you've disconnected the battery...

Do you know if you have spark or not at the plugs?

Have you tried to remove a plug wire and let it arch off the exhaust manifold?

Did you at any point in time REMOVE the distributor?

Did you check your ignition fuses and/or fuseable links? What ever melted the coil (even if it was just a faulty coil) may have blown a fuse or link.

Do you have power in the car when you turn the key?

drewsdeville
11-02-10, 11:01 AM
Did you check your ignition fuses and/or fuseable links? What ever melted the coil (even if it was just a faulty coil) may have blown a fuse or link.

^^^This is what I was getting at.

Make sure the distributor is actually getting power before you go ahead and try to diagnose a possible distributor problem.

2010 tank
11-02-10, 09:38 PM
sorry but i dont know where the fuse links are on my car, found the fuses though

the recluse
11-02-10, 10:49 PM
Fuse links are wires under the hood (usually pink) and say right on them "Fuseable Link". They can normally be found on the fender wells over the tire or stemming off of the battery. If they are blackened (as in melted) in any way they are probably burnt. You can test this by grabbing both sides of the burned area and twisting it around. If it's "crunchy", it's bad; if it's scorched through, it's bad. Fuse links rarely give out, but is still worth a look...

2010 tank
11-02-10, 11:27 PM
Fuse links are wires under the hood (usually pink) and say right on them "Fuseable Link". They can normally be found on the fender wells over the tire or stemming off of the battery. If they are blackened (as in melted) in any way they are probably burnt. You can test this by grabbing both sides of the burned area and twisting it around. If it's "crunchy", it's bad; if it's scorched through, it's bad. Fuse links rarely give out, but is still worth a look... thanks, going to look right now

cadillac_al
11-03-10, 07:49 AM
If you have voltage at the distributor then it should be operational. You should check to see if the plugs are firing. If so and it's still not starting then it should throw a code by now. Try checking the codes again.

2010 tank
11-03-10, 12:49 PM
If you have voltage at the distributor then it should be operational. You should check to see if the plugs are firing. If so and it's still not starting then it should throw a code by now. Try checking the codes again. i looked at the wires and plugs and found that they have alot of gunk. black stuff on the plugs and inside of the wires looks like they have dirt in them. i stuck a screw driver to see if i have spark and nothing happened. I dont know what to do now, checked indoor fuses and looks good. havent checked fuse able links yet. i appreciate your help

cadillac_al
11-05-10, 07:28 AM
I don't really know how you check spark with a screwdriver. When I was a kid and our sled wouldn't start I would have my little brother stick his finger in the plug cap to see if we had spark. The easier most common way to do it is to use an actual spark plug and ground it on the engine somewhere and have an assistant crank the engine. Then you see if there is a spark in the gap. It sounds like it needs new plugs if they are black. Most plugs that I take out are mostly white

the recluse
11-05-10, 09:49 PM
I don't really know how you check spark with a screwdriver.

Stick the screwdriver in the boot and lay the body across a ground...or use a tester screwdriver....

When I was a kid and our sled wouldn't start I would have my little brother stick his finger in the plug cap to see if we had spark.

I remember doing that :histeric:

It sounds like it needs new plugs if they are black.

With no spark they are going to foul out, he may not need new ones, but he definitely needs to clean them...

daniel58
11-06-10, 04:24 AM
Yep little brother, it would make his hair stand up. He looked like Einstein in a way. You knew you had spark then! As hard as these are to change plugs, its worth the money to spring for new ones. OEM AC Delco recommended.

the recluse
11-06-10, 12:49 PM
As hard as these are to change plugs, its worth the money to spring for new ones. OEM AC Delco recommended.

The problem with putting in new plugs before you fix the problem is you foul out new plugs...keep the old ones until after the problem is fixed, just clean them...