: OnStar App... Anybody set it up for their truck?

Josuave
11-01-10, 08:36 PM
I downloaded the MyCadillac app for the iPhone, but it wouldn't recognize it and gave me an error002 message. I read somewhere that it's for 2011 vehicles, but it doesn't make sense, I should be able to lock/unlock my '07!

2007caddy
11-01-10, 09:15 PM
Do you subscribe to Onstar? The app requires it

RippyPartsDept
11-01-10, 09:50 PM
also only works with 2011 vehicles, they are working on getting it to work with the onstar v8.x vehicles but don't hold your breath

vfjdesign
11-01-10, 10:24 PM
also only works with 2011 vehicles, they are working on getting it to work with the onstar v8.x vehicles but don't hold your breath

Ya I tried it just gives you a message that your vehicle is not supported. SUCKS!

Bear
11-01-10, 10:27 PM
When you state for the Onstar 8.x vehicles is this a hardware or firmware level (my guess is a combination of both). If it's just firmware I would think a flash update would be available.

2007caddy
11-01-10, 10:33 PM
Josuave: do you subscribe to the onstar, not sure why GM would launch this without it being available to all, it would increase on$tar sales as it seems it's a criteria for it to be operational...another bad decision, who runs Onstar, is he not thinking of ways to increase sales, missed a great opportunity.

RippyPartsDept
11-01-10, 11:03 PM
hardware version and software version go hand in hand
the v8 hardware/software can probably do this kind of thing, but it wasn't built with that in mind, so they have to kind of reverse engineer some stuff (i think)

sims1dh
11-01-10, 11:12 PM
This is a cool app it would almost make me consider paying for on star.

2007caddy
11-01-10, 11:18 PM
The message he received smells like VIN restriction to me....can you confirm if the firmware on the 2011 VCIM is different from 2009-2010...this technology looks like a cell originated call/connection (which could be SMS based) to Onstar commands...those commands exist already via the Onstar client care representative....wow I love this forum.....hahahahahahaha

RippyPartsDept
11-01-10, 11:50 PM
if it was that easy then they would have done it... it's not that easy so they're still working on it...
i heard both that it won't be available for older models and that it will be eventually
if anyone has a link to somewhere that onstar says what they're planning that would be great

2007caddy
11-02-10, 12:30 AM
It's a Marketing call to differentiate their latest models from past models...a sales pitch....this is the same discussion surrounding not letting us buy Bluetooth compatible VCIMs or XM modules which as you see on this forum we all are doing successfully...it's not making the greater percentage of Escalade owners buy the latest year model (they are happy with their current vehicle, a good thing right)....but provides added value for a potential new customer....
...but I understand why they don't want to support mods because it could become costly if issues arise, and also costly to test to make it acceptable (pros vs cons)..I believe in the $ell $ell $ell motto if not direct but indirect i.e via a third party vendor.....there is so much money going out the door as a result of mods that include OEM based parts, I think their Parts and Service departments are losing out here....someone needs to re-think this current strategy and reach a happy medium

Big Windy Ext
11-02-10, 09:17 AM
They miss the boat on a quite a few things . Ford has a better Geek squad in their electronics dept. . Why not market to the people who already own , the majority don't buy new every two anymore . The same with even new , why wouldn't you offer a multi-disc changer , I won't buy a Platinum to get the changer but I would check the box to get one on my option list . I wish they would have a "Ask the corporate guy " so you might get some insight as to why they do what they do. But then again they don't build these things for how the customer wants it , but how they think we want it.

RippyPartsDept
11-02-10, 01:23 PM
I thought I explained why there's no changer anymore. You put all your discs in one at a time into the single slot. You rip them to the hard drive, then repeat with your next disc. This way you can load many more CDs than you would normally be able to load. There's less parts to fail and repair, and it weighs less. If you get into a wreck you don't have to worry about your discs getting scratched from the impact and/or roll-over. Also there's much less risk of getting discs stuck in the player since it will be used less frequently (by far).

Seems to me like there's a lot of advantages to the single CD + hard drive setup versus the CD changer

K9Caddy
11-02-10, 01:44 PM
That all sounds good... However, the new Escalade's do not have a hard drive according to Carl (Hcvone).

hcvone
11-02-10, 02:05 PM
I thought I explained why there's no changer anymore. You put all your discs in one at a time into the single slot. You rip them to the hard drive, then repeat with your next disc. This way you can load many more CDs than you would normally be able to load. There's less parts to fail and repair, and it weighs less. If you get into a wreck you don't have to worry about your discs getting scratched from the impact and/or roll-over. Also there's much less risk of getting discs stuck in the player since it will be used less frequently (by far).

Seems to me like there's a lot of advantages to the single CD + hard drive setup versus the CD changer

Some times it's better not to post, that to post wrong info for our members. You repair these trucks correct?

K9Caddy
11-02-10, 02:10 PM
I was thinking the same thing Carl... I believe he works the parts counter at a GM dealer. Btw Rippy, are you serious about not scratching your disks when involved in an accident? I would think that is the last thing I need to worry about when I'm in a collision.

hcvone
11-02-10, 02:13 PM
I was thinking the same thing Carl... I believe he works the parts counter at a GM dealer. Btw Rippy, are you serious about not scratching your disks when involved in an accident? I would think that is the last thing I need to worry about when I'm in a collision.

I see that now, thanks K9. Sorry I thought you repaired these trucks, now I understand were the comments come from

RippyPartsDept
11-02-10, 07:51 PM
my bad, i got mixed up... i guess i don't know my new product that well...
that's why i said 'i thought i already explained this' - not noticing i was in a diff. thread on a diff. vehicle
also i wasn't really paying attention that this was about escalades only

mea culpa

they definitely should put that hard drive option in every car (and truck)
makes no sense to have changers these days when you can load hundreds of cds onto the onboard hard drive

and more to the original point, i totally agree w/ 2007caddy (post #11) about why they put out new features for new cars and don't update backwards (even when it is fairly trivial as in this case w/ mylink)

-- and K9Caddy - you're right i was grasping at that point about the accident and scratching discs... should have left that one out