Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Cadillac owners with 20 inch rims

12K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  07STSAND11STANG 
#1 ·
Hi Guys, I posted a thread over the weekend about the sts I just bought and put 245x35 20 inch tires on. I have noticed a lot of extra road noise ( like a cupped tire sound) Since the post, I took the car to the dealer and he is telling me its the tires, not a bearing causing the noise! I have had a ton of cars with 20's, just never a Cdadie. My questions is this, do all the owners with the STS with 20s get this road noise??? Thanks guys!!!

#4 ·
I thought Caddy's were suppose to be nice and smooth. There is an improvement from my older Lexus but still not as much as I thought there would be.

#5 ·
I have 20's that make no more noise than my 17" OEM's or my 19" oversized winters. A shitty tire can cause the same noise as a cupped good tire, especially if your alignment is out and you got some toe issues that is causing some scrubbing of the tires. What brand do you have for tires? Probably is most 20" CHEAP wheel sets people buy have OK chinese 1pc wheels but have shitty Taiwan rubber on them and that's how these guys are buying 20" wheels for $1500/set, one of my 20" wheels is $1500 and $1500 won't even cover 4 of my rubbers ;)

#11 ·
I agree, some do buy cheap tires, but I am not that person. The best tire that they Discount had in this size is a DUNLOP 245x35 20... Please let me know what tires you have and Ill check to see if I can get them from my guy. Thanks

I have a 20x9 and 20x11 HRE wheel with this same tire on my 11 Stang and there is very little noise, that is why I started this thread as I did understand why a Cadillac would have road noise but a Mustang would not. I guess I may drop to a 18 and go with a taller sidewall...

#12 ·
I am running Toyo T1R right now, Michelin PS2 is another very nice, very sticky and quiet tire, also try out the Hankook V12's, we have been having great success with those this year, very little noise, great grip, great wear, GREAT price but I haven't tried them on the STS yet, they are on the list for the replacement tires in spring.

#13 ·
I am on my 3rd set it 2 weeks. The 1st set was a 245x55 R20 Toyo Proxy 4. Lot of road noise and stiff ride. 2nd tire was a Dunlop Summner tire, again very stiff and lots of noise on freeway. At this point, I tossed the stocked 17s back on with 35,ooo mile old tires and all the noise and stiff ride went away. I did this to show the tire store it was the tires they were selling me and not a wheel bearing or other car related issues. I know have a 245x55 r20 Dunlop all season. It is the quietest so far but still nothing like my 300s srt8 that I had with same style tire. I starting to wonder if Michigan roads and 20s on a sts are just something that does not mix???? Im getting tired of of paying the up charges on tires.

#14 ·
Sounds like you need to go the route I did on my winter setup, go 1" taller OD on your wheels, little bit more sidewall to allow for less road noise and a better ride but also allows you some more options as quite a few import SUV's use similar sizing so there is more availability. I think you also mean 245/35-20 right? 55 series sidewall is HUGE for 20" and STS, you should have no ride quality problems then ;)

What are you rim's widths?
Do you have lots of clearance?
Do you care if your speedo is out a little bit?

245/40-20 is a 27.7", same as I run on mine in the winter, very nice ride. Sounds like the low pro's just aren't what your looking for, you need to go up a series or two or maybe down a rim size to keep the ride you are after. Something like my T1R's won't be quiet enough for you, the P4's are ok. Look into Continental DW/DWS tires, the less aggressive tread design will keep it quieter for you.

#15 ·
Sorry, I meant 255x35. I do have a ton of room and should have NO issue running the 40s all the way around. The shop said it would rub, but Im thinking it would be ok. Thanks for your time and advice. Im going to check into the 40s next week. Thanks again. Steve

Rims are Foose Speedsters 20x8 all 4 corners

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.