: Dropping cradle starting today, couple of questions...

jimsbox
11-01-10, 02:11 PM
I am starting to drop the cradle on my 00 DHS today. Does anyone know:

1)can you leave the ABS and brakelines in the car so don't have to bleed them?

2)your opinion on replacing the old silicon heater and coolant hoses with regular heater hose.

3)do you need to secure the steering wheel before separating the lower steering knuckle and if so, how would or did you do it?

Ranger
11-01-10, 04:02 PM
2)your opinion on replacing the old silicon heater and coolant hoses with regular heater hose.
Don't even think about it. GM used silicone because they hold up to heat and are damned near impossible to get at when the engine is in the car.

jimsbox
11-01-10, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the subtle but clear answer (LOL). Seriously, thanks Ranger.

bigtone
11-01-10, 05:19 PM
I just replaced all the heater hoses on the 2002 Deville this past weekend, there were no silicone hoses. There was one on my 98 I used to own, but none on the 2001 either.

sassanach
11-01-10, 06:00 PM
there were no silicone hoses on mine,i jammed my steering wheel with cushions from the sofa.lol

zonie77
11-01-10, 07:29 PM
I have done 94-97 Seville's so there could be a difference.

I was able to leave all the brakes connected and attached to the body. The calipers hung of the fender wells, the ABS module unbolted and stayed on the body.

Hoses already answered.

I did not lock the steering wheel, the bolt holding the shafts could only go in one way so there was no need to lock it in place.

zonie77
11-01-10, 07:31 PM
Almost all the questions are answered in one of the links on this thread.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/176057-n-engine-removal-newbee.html

jimsbox
11-02-10, 02:44 AM
Hey Zonie,

I checked out your link but it only seems to address pulling out top or bottom, no reference to the heater hoses, securing steering column, etc. I have read all the threads I could find over the last 6 to 8 months and while I remember references to the hoses and steering wheel being secured, I haven't found them again. I am going to check out the links that are referred to in the thread you referred me to. Just reread your message and sure enough you said the links cover them. Another reason I am asking is because most of what I have seen have referred to older (mid to late 90's) Sevilles and in particular the ABS question is targeted at 2000 to probably 06 devilles which may be different. from the earlier Sevilles.

Thanks Jim

Submariner409
11-02-10, 11:09 AM
One of the steering wheel cautions is because there's quite a long wire bundle which runs through the column up to the wheel itself: you DO NOT want to lose the centered reference - or twist - that wire bundle.

ponyboyt
11-02-10, 11:45 AM
large hook bungie cord wrap around shifter 2 hooks on steering wheel.

solved.

or use a rope.

shoe lace

cats tail

pantyhose

jimsbox
11-02-10, 12:09 PM
Ranger,
just ordered all the silicone hoses from Rock Auto, thanks

Sub, Sassanach, and ponyboyt
thanks, now I know the wheel does not have to be absolutely immobile, just can't move more than maybe an 1/8th of a turn or so. Is there any reason not to just rely on the steering lock?

Anyone with experience dropping a 00 or later Deville/DHS/DTS cradle that can chime in on pulling the cradle without opening any of the brake lines?

Ranger
11-02-10, 04:34 PM
Ranger,
just ordered all the silicone hoses from Rock Auto, thanks
Money well spent my friend.

STSS
11-02-10, 05:31 PM
I'm not sure about a Deville/DTS/DHS, but on my 01 STS I had to open the brake lines because the rear lines run between the half shafts and the subframe.

FWIW, I would have opened whatever part of the brakes I needed to, I bled them all afterwards anyway... is it really that much work to bleed the brakes? (they generally need bled anyway)

drewsdeville
11-02-10, 07:35 PM
Couldn't you just pull the halfshafts out instead? I'd think that would be a lot easier than opening up the brake system.

ejguillot
11-02-10, 07:53 PM
Couldn't you just pull the halfshafts out instead? I'd think that would be a lot easier than opening up the brake system.

Short answer: No.

In the 98-04 Seville (and probably 00-05 Deville), the way that the brake lines are run make it almost impossible (I tried for 3 hours to find a way, no luck) to drop the cradle without disconnecting the rear brake lines. In the end, no real loss: You're probably seriously overdue for a complete brake fluid flush, might as well do it then.

Look below for the video clip I took showing the brake line routing (This was when I dropped my engine to fix the headgaskets). Notice that besides the halfshaft, the steering rack tie rod is in the way too?
o1EYDN9U4-Y

drewsdeville
11-02-10, 08:13 PM
I see.

Really odd routing, especially in comparison to the older models where the rear brake lines either run along the drivers side of the car, or cross and run along the back of the cradle to the passenger side rather than wrap around the front.

tateos
11-02-10, 09:36 PM
OK - here's my $.02

I replaced a silicone hose on my '97 ETC with regular heater hose when the original developed a pinhole after 7 years. It was not especially difficult to change. That hose lasted just fine in Phoenix heat for 4+ years. When I did my HG project, I replaced ALL of the coolant hoses with regular Gates hoses, including the heater hose I had used to replace the silicone hose - that was 2 1/2 years/20K miles ago - I drive the car all time - no problems yet. I probably would have used the silicone hoses, but I think Rock Auto makes you buy them in packs of 25 pieces...or at least they used to.

On the '97, they are not that hard to get at, and are not exposed to any more extreme pressure or temperature than the rest of the hoses. I don't remember any silicone hoses when I changed all the hoses on the 2000 DTS, but some of them were much tougher to change than the hoses on the '97...plus there were so damn many of them!

jimsbox
11-02-10, 10:02 PM
Tateos, tell me about it! I didn't actually count them but it was probablly 10 or 12 of the suckers. A full set of them shipped was $110.00. Had to order each individual hose because they don't have them in sets.

tateos
11-02-10, 10:13 PM
Rock Auto did not have all the hoses for the 2000 DTS - I changed every last one of them. My theory was, the car was 10 years old - I did not have faith in the original hoses, and if you leave even one unchanged, that's the one that will blow. Frankly, the 10 year old hoses did not seem that bad, but I just wasn't about to travel through the desert on any long trips with those old hoses. I think there were about 16-18 total, including the small diameter (fuel line size) ones - some I had to get at the dealer (ripoff!) - 1 or 2 of them, for the water cooled alternator, the dealer didn't even have - I had to improvise - worked out OK.

Ranger
11-02-10, 11:07 PM
I think hoses (and belts for that matter) are much better today than what we grew up with. As a testament to that, my wife's '96 Bonneville with 175K on it still has all the factory hoses on it. :hide:

zonie77
11-03-10, 12:11 PM
Jimsbox,

since the 2000+ are different please try to list the differences you come across and either post it to Tech Tips or add it to one of the existing threads.

The steering wheel: I think after lining it up to access the bolt at the bottom of the shaft I just took the key out.