: 98 Seville STS ~ Fuel Gauge, Moon Roof, Interior Lights, PDL, Fuel Door, Trunk = DEAD

Roni Olin
11-01-10, 06:36 AM
Hi all!- First time caller.. anyhow,
I recently bought a '98 Seville STS and don't know whether to contact a Mechanic or a Priest (as it may be posessed by Demons)...
It has a wierd intermittent starting problem... Sometimes it turns over immediately - other times it'll take 2 or 3 turns of the key... Sometimes? - Well sometimes it'll take 20 (usually when I have just picked up a girlfriend that I haven't seen for a while).
I was trying to track down the problem (micro relays - under the hood)... And BLAM! - The next day I get into the car and the interior lights, Fuel Gauge, Power Fuel Door, Moon Roof, Trunk and Power Door Locks are DEAD!

I know the obvious thing to do is check the Accesory Fuse(S) and Relay(S)... Been there done that.
- Electrical problems can be SO frustrating!
Thanks in advance for any information that you might throw my way!
Have a GREAT DAY!
Ron

FrankT
12-18-10, 02:15 PM
Hello Roni Olin and welcome to the Cadillac Forms.
In regards to all of the inoperative components you mentioned, they are controlled through the Rear Integration Module (RIM). Pull all your codes and post them, find the sticky at the top of this section for instructions. I'll bet there's a U1255 set. The RIM is not communicating with the IPM, DDM and IPC. Try this, disconnect your truck latch switch and trunk alarm lock cylinder switch, then disconnect the battery for about 1 minute to reset the RIM. Reconnect the battery and start the car, see if everything works. Let us know what happens. The above will not effect your starting problem, that is a separate concern.

bgwgn
01-15-11, 06:58 PM
hey everyone. im having the exact same problem with my 98 sls. im stumped.
Roni did you ever fix your issue. please let me know im up for trying everything. the only thing i tried was disconnecting the battery for a bit but that didnt work. HELP!!!!:

FrankT
01-22-11, 12:55 PM
hey everyone. im having the exact same problem with my 98 sls. im stumped.
Roni did you ever fix your issue. please let me know im up for trying everything. the only thing i tried was disconnecting the battery for a bit but that didnt work. HELP!!!!:

bgwgn,
The Rear Integration Module (RIM), is locked up. In other words the module is not working and not communicating with the other modules. Like I stated, disconnect the trunk lock cylinder tamper switch and the trunk latch, then disconnect the ground battery cable for at least 30 seconds. Connect the battery and see if the RIM starts communicating again. This trick worked for me and another form member. If it doesn't work, check all power and grounds at the RIM (search for a post by N*Caddy in the seville section a couple of weeks ago). If you don't find a concern with the power and grounds, then the RIM will need to be replaced, there around $300.00.
Please respond with your results. Frank

Roni Olin
04-23-11, 06:47 PM
Hi Everyone! - That issue... Worked itself out - sorta kinda... It's somehow RELAY related. - What I did was remove the Negative and Positive terminals from the battery.... "click click click" (relays doing their thing)... - Then hooked the terminals back up. I think that my relays were being effected by excessive condensation (moisture) in the cabin. - I live in Vancouver and this place has got to be the wettest place in North America. - It's now spring and I don't have to disconnect and reconnect the terminals to get things working properly again.
Thanks for the advice people - it's GREATLY appreciated!