: 2010/11 srx 3.0 owners - do you have enough 'passing' power?

SHOWGIRL
10-31-10, 11:19 PM
Husband concerned that 3.0 SRX will not have enough 'power' to get you away from that highway 'tailgator' or to pass a 'semi' ....he likes the car - but that's his concern...(also did find the engine noisy but that's no 'biggie') but it might offer us what we need i.e.. style, storage hauling, size of vehicle, etc.
We definitely liked the turbo but it's so 'loaded' with things we'd be paying for that we really don't need....i.e. 4 wheel drive/dvd players/etc.
Thank you in advance for your experiences with your SRX 3.0 ...would you buy it again ? :thumbsup:

GeeVee
11-01-10, 02:33 AM
Hi ShowGirl,
I think most of us with the 3L engine are pleased with it`s performance. We bought it knowing that it was`nt built for racing and most of us like the purr of the engine at higher RPMs. I get the impression from reading your posts that you and your SO place a little more importance on the power side of things. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that by the way. With that in mind, I think you would be better off with the turbo if you can find one with a price tag that fits your budget. Good luck and happy motoring.

doctormstein1
11-01-10, 07:33 AM
I think that their is plenty of power when passing. The only possible lack of power comes when you are stopped and want to accelerate onto a highway.

algiorda
11-01-10, 08:25 AM
There are 3 things you can do the get just a bit more Ooomph from the SRX 3.0:

1. Use Sport Mode
2. Use 93 High Octane Fuel
3. Turn off the Air Conditioner

My 2004 SRX seemed a little quicker, but I have been happy with the 3.0 power; especially when I pass gas stations and don't have to fill-up as much. I'm getting 21 city/highway miles and 25 highway miles.

Cooper10
11-01-10, 08:26 AM
I found the Car and Driver Magazine track sheet results on the 2010 SRX 3.0L AWD dated 6/18/2009:

passing specs: 5-60 8.7 sec
30-50 4.9 sec
50-70 6.4 sec

Acceleration:0 to 30 3.1 sec
0 to 40 4.6
0 to 50 6.4
0 to 60 8.4
0 to 70 11.5
0 to 80 14.9
0 to 90 18.5
1/4 mile 16.7 sec at 85mph
top speed 132mph

Use this info as a comparison with other vehicles

Ponyman
11-01-10, 09:02 AM
The 3.0 has Plenty of power for getting on the interstate and passing other vehicles. This engine is getting a bad rep for power. It is easily as pleasurable to drive as our 08 CTS with the 3.6 was. We have NEVER felt in danger because of the percieved lack of power. The power band does get better once the transmission learns yhour driving preferences. I don't even begin to know what you want or need, but go to a dealer and drive the heck out of one, and maybe even ask for a 24 hour test drive.

SHOWGIRL
11-01-10, 10:12 AM
Hi ShowGirl,
I think most of us with the 3L engine are pleased with it`s performance. We bought it knowing that it was`nt built for racing and most of us like the purr of the engine at higher RPMs. I get the impression from reading your posts that you and your SO place a little more importance on the power side of things. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that by the way. With that in mind, I think you would be better off with the turbo if you can find one with a price tag that fits your budget. Good luck and happy motoring.
------------------------------
it's good to read others are finding the passing/get away from 'problems' is sufficient ...yeah - it wasn't a 'racing' thing with us (we're way too old for that anylonger LOL) it is more of a 'safety' issue...i.e. the need to really 'get out of the way ! lol Turbo is overpriced 'for us' - can't speak for others tho .. appreciate your help ! ;)

SHOWGIRL
11-01-10, 10:14 AM
I think that their is plenty of power when passing. The only possible lack of power comes when you are stopped and want to accelerate onto a highway.
----------------------
Will pass on 'passing-power' is good -- help me out here - when accelertating onto a highway arent' you at a certain speed because you're not at a 'dead' stop when attempting this? or maybe i'm confused - thanks tho for your help !!!

SHOWGIRL
11-01-10, 10:17 AM
There are 3 things you can do the get just a bit more Ooomph from the SRX 3.0:
1. Use Sport Mode
2. Use 93 High Octane Fuel
3. Turn off the Air Conditioner
My 2004 SRX seemed a little quicker, but I have been happy with the 3.0 power; especially when I pass gas stations and don't have to fill-up as much. I'm getting 21 city/highway miles and 25 highway miles.
---------------------------------
Thanks for the above 'hints' and your insight as to what to do !!! much appreciated !

SHOWGIRL
11-01-10, 10:35 AM
I found the Car and Driver Magazine track sheet results on the 2010 SRX 3.0L AWD dated 6/18/2009:

passing specs: 5-60 8.7 sec
30-50 4.9 sec
50-70 6.4 sec

Acceleration:0 to 30 3.1 sec
0 to 40 4.6
0 to 50 6.4
0 to 60 8.4
0 to 70 11.5
0 to 80 14.9
0 to 90 18.5
1/4 mile 16.7 sec at 85mph
top speed 132mph

Use this info as a comparison with other vehicles
---------------------------
i 'see' the numbers and appreciate your supplying them but i can't be a 'judge' - saw the CTS's are higher but if a ''second +/-'' is significant enough to notice the difference then i'm lost - LOL -- maybe these numbers are important to those who want 'speed' for it's own sake - all i'm concerned about is the ability to 'get away from a bad situation' -- thanks for all your work tho !

SHOWGIRL
11-01-10, 10:40 AM
The 3.0 has Plenty of power for getting on the interstate and passing other vehicles. This engine is getting a bad rep for power. It is easily as pleasurable to drive as our 08 CTS with the 3.6 was. We have NEVER felt in danger because of the percieved lack of power. The power band does get better once the transmission learns yhour driving preferences. I don't even begin to know what you want or need, but go to a dealer and drive the heck out of one, and maybe even ask for a 24 hour test drive.
---------------------------
Wow that is an amazing review - thanks so much !!! yeah, we'd definitely have to try it as you suggested.... :)

TheCaptain
11-01-10, 04:53 PM
I would buy more then one SRX with the 3.0L if all i was doing was daily driving. Coming from a sport compact with a lot of punch, i was initially concerned about having "just" 3.0L and 265 hp... but since i test drove a bunch of 3.0L's and bought mine, i couldn't be way happier!

And if you have some problem "getting away" from somebody in this thing... me thinks you pulled in front of somebody too soon. :hmm:

Willo
11-01-10, 11:03 PM
We have driven our 3.0L SRX in all kinds of terrains, mountains, prairie, desert, flatlands in the last year (we took it on a coast to coast trip). The A/C was used since it was summer, four people, luggage, etc. It never felt underpowered, had plenty of "zip" for merging onto Interstates, driving up long mountain passes (never felt the engine was laboring to keep up or did it downshift much) or any other concerns one may have when aware of what certain reviews have said.

In short, the power of this engine is more than adequate for most drivers. It's a smooth cruiser, reminiscent of a V-8 at highway speeds. Plenty of pickup and go for city driving, lane changing, passing, etc.

Bottom line is, it's been engineered for a balance of performance and good gas mileage. Most on this forum report mpg of 24-26 highway and 17-19 city. That's very respectable for a vehicle of this size and weight.

I'm not an advertising copy writer for Cadillac, just a satisfied owner who feels the engine is an excellent performer and you will not go wrong by ordering or buying your car with it. If it's more performance and less robust gas mileage you can deal with, the 2.8L Turbo is right for you...but remember this engine needs premium fuel.

SHOWGIRL
11-02-10, 07:28 AM
I would buy more then one SRX with the 3.0L if all i was doing was daily driving. Coming from a sport compact with a lot of punch, i was initially concerned about having "just" 3.0L and 265 hp... but since i test drove a bunch of 3.0L's and bought mine, i couldn't be way happier!
And if you have some problem "getting away" from somebody in this thing... me thinks you pulled in front of somebody too soon. :hmm:
---------------------------------------------
hi - thanks for the reply and the reassurance ! i think i confused things when i used the term ''getting away' -- i didn't mean i.e. drag-race - LOL or 'pulling in front of someone too soon (wayyy too old for that !) i meant if we were being tailgated by a ''semi' and needed to speed=up, find an 'opening' in another lane to let the truck (or car for that matter) just go where it wants ! LOL ..''.get out of it's way '' as fast as possible ...or a decent 'merge' onto a highway also :yup:

SHOWGIRL
11-02-10, 07:38 AM
We have driven our 3.0L SRX in all kinds of terrains, mountains, prairie, desert, flatlands in the last year (we took it on a coast to coast trip). The A/C was used since it was summer, four people, luggage, etc. It never felt underpowered, had plenty of "zip" for merging onto Interstates, driving up long mountain passes (never felt the engine was laboring to keep up or did it downshift much) or any other concerns one may have when aware of what certain reviews have said. OH THAT IS AMAZING - GUESS YOU CAN'T TOTALLY 'COUNT' ON PROFESSIONAL CAR-REVIEWERS...THANKS FOR THIS !

In short, the power of this engine is more than adequate for most drivers. It's a smooth cruiser, reminiscent of a V-8 at highway speeds. Plenty of pickup and go for city driving, lane changing, passing, etc. WE'RE GOING TO TRY ONE TODAY.... WE JUST DROVE THE DTS - IT WAS AMAZING BUT I REALIZE ALSO IT'S A TOTALLY 'DIFFERENT' CAR ...

Bottom line is, it's been engineered for a balance of performance and good gas mileage. Most on this forum report mpg of 24-26 highway and 17-19 city. That's very respectable for a vehicle of this size and weight. I THINK I READ THAT A 3.6 LTR MIGHT BE ADDED NEXT YEAR ?

I'm not an advertising copy writer for Cadillac, just a satisfied owner who feels the engine is an excellent performer and you will not go wrong by ordering or buying your car with it. If it's more performance and less robust gas mileage you can deal with, the 2.8L Turbo is right for you...but remember this engine needs premium fuel. YES, KNOW ABOUT THE FUEL -TURBO COMES EQUIPPED WITH TOO MANY 'GOODIES' THAT JACKS UP THE PRICE - WE DON'T WANT 'PERFORMANCE' ..JUST THE KIND OF RESPONSE YOU DESCRIBED ABOVE ... MANY THANKS !!!! :thumbsup:

Smokin' SRX
11-03-10, 01:38 AM
I have addressed this many times here. I had the previous gen SRX with a V-8 and it was near race power for sure. This v-6 is Ok in every way and really jumps if you nail it ( we have a very short accel ramp on a local highway)..........always a Blast-off to get into flow. The 3.0 eng does the job.

Only complaint I have is that when punching it out, the engine is noisier than I prefer. The turbo eng has more torque, so it doesn't have to drop down 2-3 gears, thus runs quieter. Really a minor complaint, from a spoiled, self admitted, speedster! LOL

So if I had it to do over and had the extra $5K, or $100 a month, I'd grab the turbo! Otherwise, I'm "suffering" with a smile with the 3.0..........

SS

SHOWGIRL
11-03-10, 09:41 AM
I have addressed this many times here. I had the previous gen SRX with a V-8 and it was near race power for sure. This v-6 is Ok in every way and really jumps if you nail it ( we have a very short accel ramp on a local highway)..........always a Blast-off to get into flow. The 3.0 eng does the job.

Only complaint I have is that when punching it out, the engine is noisier than I prefer. The turbo eng has more torque, so it doesn't have to drop down 2-3 gears, thus runs quieter. Really a minor complaint, from a spoiled, self admitted, speedster! LOL

So if I had it to do over and had the extra $5K, or $100 a month, I'd grab the turbo! Otherwise, I'm "suffering" with a smile with the 3.0..........

SS
hi - thanks so much for such an informative post ...much appreciated SG

GMJim
11-03-10, 12:03 PM
Coming from a Northstar V8, I am spoiled. I really tire of the vehicle downshifting at least two gears when passing,
going up a hill etc. I feel like, COME ON, that wasn't THAT big of an incline to bump two gears.
I really think it could use more power. But, that's just me.

PJ1520
11-03-10, 01:40 PM
If I wanted "in" on the SRX, the 3.0 would not be a game breaker. I'd take all of the 3.0 upsides and enjoy them as well as the rest that goes with the vehicle.

stevec5375
11-03-10, 06:01 PM
Coming from a Northstar V8, I am spoiled. I really tire of the vehicle downshifting at least two gears when passing,
going up a hill etc. I feel like, COME ON, that wasn't THAT big of an incline to bump two gears.
I really think it could use more power. But, that's just me.

Wow! For once we agree on something. :)

TheCaptain
11-04-10, 08:28 AM
You guys realize that the top two gears are overdrive gears right? 6th is almost a double overdrive, and the ratio is barely high enough to accelerate (just a pinch) on the flattest of land? :Poke:

:duck:

Smokin' SRX
11-04-10, 12:51 PM
You guys realize that the top two gears are overdrive gears right? 6th is almost a double overdrive, and the ratio is barely high enough to accelerate (just a pinch) on the flattest of land? :Poke:

:duck:

Good point Captain, and spot on, but I, for one, am talking about having to hit 5,000 RPM to really pass a semi, at 50 MPH, as opposed to the Turbo, which makes peak torque around 2500 RPM.. .. that turbo really gets you in front quickly. My reference is the Enclave (3.6 Eng ) that I traded, was a lot quieter eng at the limits. Just the nature of the beasts.......

PS ...... we all know the Turbo drinks premium gas, but we should remember the Insurance penalty for the turbo also! Can be $1-300 year surcharge, depending on your record and state...........

TheCaptain
11-06-10, 02:20 AM
That 3.6 in the Enclave wasn't a DI (Direct Injected) Engine though was it? It was just the normal 3.6... Unless it was an 09+? The DI engine's are always louder because fuel is injected at 508 psi at idle, and up to 1740 psi at WOT.

Smokin' SRX
11-06-10, 12:06 PM
Spot on, again! My '08 was NOT a DI. The '09 and later were, and yielded about 15 more HP/torque. But I'm just making the point that the 3.0 eng, while excellent, needs to "wind-up" the rpm's, in lower gears, more often, for an adeqately quick pass. This baby puts about 4500 lbs on the pavement. (the Enclave was 5,000 lbs) That's when the noise occurs. The more powerful 3.6 in Enclaves (and CTS) is less noisy when near limit (even in DI eng type) and goes there less often, because of more ponies, available sooner. It may just be a more refined eng than the European sourced 3.0 we have? Or better insulated car??

So, in the end, if you pass alot, are fussy with at-the-limit eng roar, or just want some more pep for passing and thrills, get the Turbo! And be ready for the extra ins. and prem gas expenses that go with it..........

TheCaptain
11-06-10, 12:08 PM
I like the roar of the DI, it lets me know i'm doing something. Not just driving an appliance! :D

Razorecko
11-06-10, 12:09 PM
Honestly being a mod freak. Even a nice cai intake will open up the 2.8L turbo. What the turbo does need though is a tune to pull that 1st gear restriction away. Its limited in boost for 1st gear. I don't know why, the drivetrain can easily handle it. I guess they dont want people to get themselves in toooo much trouble =)

PJ1520
11-06-10, 08:44 PM
FROM EDMUNDS:

"At the test track, our SRX cantered from zero to 60 mph in 8.2 seconds, which is about a second off the pace for this segment — the 270-hp Q5 Quattro, for instance, does the job in 7.2 seconds, while the 281-hp XC60 T6 AWD and 268-hp GLK350 4Matic require 7.3 seconds. Braking performance was also below average, with our SRX requiring 128 feet to stop from 60 mph, 5-10 feet longer than the Europeans. Pedal feel was good, though, and on our slalom course the SRX turned in a competitive 63.2-mph pass.

In the real world, there are no two ways about it: This SRX is sluggish. Cadillac is proud of the fact that the new 3.0-liter V6 is derived from the excellent direct-injected 3.6-liter V6 in the CTS sport sedan and base Camaro coupe, but that just makes us wonder why the SRX didn't get the 3.6 as well. The Caddy is no lightweight — 4,292 as-tested pounds without all-wheel drive — so what it needs is torque, and the 3.6 cranks out a full 50 lb-ft more than the 3.0, not to mention an extra 39 hp.

The 3.0's output is simply overmatched by the SRX's mass, and while the six-speed automatic's eager upshifts and reluctant downshifts may be EPA estimate-friendly (our 17.7-mpg average notwithstanding), they only exacerbate the power problem. Also, on a couple occasions the transmission downshifted itself into the rev limiter with the pedal to the floor, cutting the power delivery and producing an "Engine Overspeed" message on the trip computer — hopefully an early-production quirk."

What I don't understand is Cadillac's engine selections for the second generation SRX. It is nearly as heavy as the First Generation but the power numbers for the standard and optional engines are down, as are the acceleration numbers. This runs contrary to conventional wisdom AND what the competition is doing in this market segment.

In another thread on this topic one poster who had a First Gen SRX with the 4.6L Northstar V8 and now has the Second Gen 3.0.....he misses the power.

Each of us has to decide for ourselves what we want out of the vehicle. The horsepower and torque differences between the 3.0 and the 2.8T are significant. The 2.8T might be worth a serious consideration if the added zip floats your boat, especially if you plan on owning the SRX for the life of the vehicle. I said in that other thread that I'd fly with the 3.0 and accept its upsides and that of the entire vehicle if price was a game breaker for me.

shrb
11-07-10, 10:51 AM
I have the sport performance model.....I can drop the pedal and fly! I love passing 18-wheelers with this car. I have to let up when I reach 95, but it is an awesome experience for the short time I floor it......Don't know the size of the engine, but it will get up and go!

stevec5375
11-07-10, 12:12 PM
I have the sport performance model.....I can drop the pedal and fly! I love passing 18-wheelers with this car. I have to let up when I reach 95, but it is an awesome experience for the short time I floor it......Don't know the size of the engine, but it will get up and go!

I am once again reminded why I never buy used cars. You just never know how they've been treated. :)

Razorecko
11-07-10, 02:18 PM
^ The harder a car is driven the stronger the motor is. This is from my personal expeirance. Its the lack of maintenance people have to watch out for buying used cars.

PJ1520
11-08-10, 06:17 PM

shrb.......why do you have to let up when you reach 95? :lildevil: