: Looking For a New Computer Setup...

billc83
10-31-10, 05:58 PM
This is partially inspired by a trip to Fry's Electronics earlier today, but also I my old HP Pavilion is getting a little long in the tooth - running Photoshop can be a pain if I have a lot going on in the background. Also, I'm thinking of making the jump from Windows XP to Windows 7, and the price for a new machine is low enough to warrant purchasing a new computer with 7 already installed.

Mechanically, I don't need much. My computer will be used mostly for business/personal use. I'd need to be able to run Photoshop and Illustrator. I do a little digital photography so it needs to be able to handle that. I don't play computer games.

I'm also looking for a printer/scanner for some volume printing work. It needs to be able to scan documents at at least 1000 DPI, and print at the highest DPI possible. If a separate scanner/printer setup is advisable, that's ok. THIS PRINTER WILL NOT BE USED TO PRINT MY PHOTOS. Color (as well as two-sided printing) is a plus, but not a must. What are the pros/cons of laser printers vs. standard cartriges?

What do you think? Any helpful advice from the CF crew? Thanks in advance for helping out!

Stingroo
10-31-10, 06:10 PM
You want a desktop setup then, or a laptop? What's your budget?

billc83
10-31-10, 06:15 PM
Desktop setup.

What's a budget? Money is less of an issue than getting the most bang for my buck, if that makes sense.

drewsdeville
10-31-10, 06:17 PM
Have you clicked on the printer thread going on right now?

As far as the computer, Sting asked the right initial questions. You'll have to answer those before we can help you and before you yourself can really even begin to shop.

EDIT: nevermind, looks like we got the answers.

Are you capable of/are you interested in building the computer yourself? If so, it's really a great way to taylor a computer to your needs rather than picking one off the shelf. The only thing you really "lose" is the brand's tech support, which can be useless.

Stingroo
10-31-10, 06:23 PM
Can be? LOL I've yet to have good tech support from any brand I've ever owned an off-the-shelf computer for.

Except for Dell, but that's only because I purchased it through a business account. If not, I'd have to deal with all of the same horror stories as everyone else.

EChas3
10-31-10, 06:46 PM
My wife needed a computer. I bought a package from a local 'geek' shop. (I feel I can say geek because I are one at work!) They give a 3 three-year hardware/software warranty & fix it onsite. For about what it casts from Dell (or wherever.)

I mess with computer problems all day. If she has an 'issue'. I'll let someone else deal with it! It's like the last 35 years... "Oh, I bet you know all this game's tricks..." No! I don't play computer games. Pinball, Foosball, sure.

This is fun chatting with similarly minded folk. Fixing problems usually caused by lusers with hundreds of malware plugin's or viruses, not so much. Sorry.

dkozloski
10-31-10, 07:26 PM
I go to Walmart and buy whatever is on sale.

orconn
10-31-10, 08:29 PM
Earlier thismyear I bought a new computer, I thoought my old basic H-P was on its' way out, so I bought a new H-P with Windows 7. The new computer works great and is faster and works better with FIOS than the old one, but not all my older equipment or certain aspects of FIOS interface with Windows 7. So as a result I am continuing to use my old computer most of the time. As it sometimes happens the woes I was experiencing with the old H-P seem to have cured themselves and it is working much better than it did before I bought the new computer. Since I only spent about $300.00 (delivered) on the new H-P (Ididn't need a new monitor of printer) I'm not bothered with the situation.

EChas3
10-31-10, 08:33 PM
About 20 years ago, I heard a term I like to this day. I credit Denny in Ohio:

Yeah, that's an example of negative progress.

It's a Brave New World!

jedhead
10-31-10, 09:20 PM
I do work with Lightroom and Photoshop. My emphasis on my home built PC was in CPU performance and lots of memory. I went with a little overkill in an attempt to keep from upgrading for 4 years.

Bob

RippyPartsDept
10-31-10, 09:29 PM
FIOS is internet access via fiber optic cable instead of phone lines (DSL) or copper lines (cable)

your computer does not interact with the FIOS

there must be some other networking problem between the windows 7 computer and your FIOS router (if it even is a router) ... if you don't have a router you should definitely get one

EChas3
10-31-10, 10:15 PM
We have fiber at work but it's channeled down to DS3 (45 Meg per second) to the Internet. We move check image cashletters for 40 banks - a small shop. Few sites I connect to at home are faster than 5% of that. It's all relative.

What do you do that merits FIOS?

Playdrv4me
10-31-10, 11:48 PM
We have Uverse here, and I know that if we dip below 12 megabits in our household, our whole network basically collapses.

ThumperPup
11-01-10, 05:31 PM
did we get a buget yet on how much you got to spend on a new system ?
i didnt see it posted here

yikes buget systems besat way iw oudl go is open up your sunday paper and see who ever has the cheapest system of your likings

for me i coudlnt do that only time id do that is if i where buying something as a gift for someone

see im kind of a lunitick when it comes to pc's and im totaly geeky when you see my computer room
you would open up the door in my room that you think is for a closet and you would walk into a whole other univers its the size of 2 full bathrooms i have 4 destops that are out of date
and 3 laptops 2 that are out of date
and 1 new baby i got in Jan this year
its a Alienware systme and it would make the the guys that work at nasa louching shuttles cry lol

so it all depends on what your doing
with it and what you wana spend here in clevelan di open up the paper and see deals eveyr week for prices around 399

Stingroo
11-01-10, 05:38 PM
He said he wasn't really worried about the price.

CIWS
11-01-10, 06:09 PM
I'm also looking for a printer/scanner for some volume printing work.

What are the pros/cons of laser printers vs. standard cartriges?

For volume you want a laser vs an inkjet. You'll end up paying more for ink than for toner.

You can still buy separate units (printer and scanner) but all in ones are more common now. Here's one example, it scans to 1200 dpi.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/printer/LaserJet/1/storefronts/CE538A%2523BGJ

Just your choice if you want separate components or all together. :)

ThumperPup
11-01-10, 06:36 PM
ah ok i missed that

well in that case

go all out have some fun with your new toy

get a Laptop that is just as powerfull and even more powerfull then some of the best destops

go with what i have get yourself a

ALienware M17x with 2 x 1 gig nviga gtx280 graph cards 8 giggs of ddr3 1333
go all out full hd screan facial recognition
220 gig Solid State drive no need for free fall
oh and dont forget to boost that sucker with a powerfull heart of a Intel I7-940 Qued core mobile CPU come on man have some fun

ThumperPup
11-01-10, 06:37 PM
For volume you want a laser vs an inkjet. You'll end up paying more for ink than for toner.

You can still buy separate units (printer and scanner) but all in ones are more common now. Here's one example, it scans to 1200 dpi.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/printer/LaserJet/1/storefronts/CE538A%2523BGJ

Just your choice if you want separate components or all together. :)

what ever you do stay away from HP and dell printers worst printers in the world i think

i know my dad insists on HP for printers i dont understand why
he has goen threw a new printer every 2 years on the avg

and dell they just suck dell printer last maybe a year or 2 at best unless you only use it ones a month

ryannel2003
11-01-10, 08:20 PM
I've owned 4 HP printers, 1 Lexmark and 1 Dell... and I hated the latter two. Both slow, both expensive to run, and both horribly loud. My HP's have all been great printer's, and my newest is a cheap $29 to hold me over in college for paper's and it's been great.

Have you ever considered a Mac?

EChas3
11-01-10, 09:51 PM
Once upon a time, HP made the best printers in the world. Many of them still run. When they quit making the HP3D, their used price prices went up to about what they were selling for new!

Now, they are average to poor. But everyone still supports HP's PCL.

drewsdeville
11-01-10, 10:07 PM
I feel that as far as the actual hardware itself, HP printers are still great quality.

However, I question their software and drivers. I do a lot of freelance computer repair and every so often I run into really messed up and strange incompatibilities and glitches with HP's printer software. Honestly, I really still can't explain why some of it happens, but it does.

In my experience, nost of the problems are on Vista/7 machines. Seems like HP hasn't really advanced passed the XP days.

gary88
11-01-10, 10:25 PM
www.store.apple.com

:flamesuiton:

drewsdeville
11-01-10, 10:27 PM
Why pay thousands for OSX when it's free right here?

http://www.freebsd.org/

ryannel2003
11-01-10, 10:51 PM
I love Apple's use of materials for their computers, and the aluminum is extremely sturdy and beautiful. I accidentally dropped my MacBook on tile floor last year and it just dented the corner... I believe anything short of a Lenovo laptop would have done much worse. The hardware is beautiful, the software is simple and elegant. However, Windows 7 is a really great OS.

RippyPartsDept
11-01-10, 10:59 PM
Why pay thousands for OSX when it's free right here?

http://www.freebsd.org/

that's not exactly true - apple offers a lot more for the extra money (including compatibility)

Darwin, the core of Apple's Mac OS X, borrows FreeBSD's virtual file system, network stack and components of its userspace. The now-defunct OpenDarwin project, which was based on Apple's Darwin operating system, also included substantial FreeBSD code.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeBSD

RippyPartsDept
11-01-10, 11:06 PM
I love Apple's use of materials for their computers, and the aluminum is extremely sturdy and beautiful. I accidentally dropped my MacBook on tile floor last year and it just dented the corner... I believe anything short of a Lenovo laptop would have done much worse. The hardware is beautiful, the software is simple and elegant. However, Windows 7 is a really great OS.

don't for get Panasonic's ToughBook line - those things go to war... literally

ThumperPup
11-01-10, 11:44 PM

but you could get allied titanum in the Alienware keeps it really cool

ThumperPup
11-01-10, 11:51 PM

i heard some good stuff about those things also

Stingroo
11-02-10, 12:32 AM
I'd never shell out for an alienware computer. Ever. They're just not worth it. HP's gaming PC's are better since they "acquired" Voodoo.

Playdrv4me
11-02-10, 02:10 AM
HP makes overall good printers with HORRIBLY bloatware'd bundled software (which honestly, you don't even have to install as every O/S in the world can drive an HP printing language). Their computers however, and particularly the laptops, are downright awful. There are some "business" line HP laptops that are nearly as durable as Thinkpads, and I suspect those are TRUE HPs, whilst all the consumer level crap is what would have been Compaq in the past.

Apple's problem is that there is a serious gap between the Mac Mini (what I currently use, a 2010 model) and the iMacs. For example, I'd love to upgrade my 24 inch LED Cinema Display to a 27 inch... but then what the hell do I connect THAT to? My same underpowered Mini? It'll work sure, but its not ideal. I enjoyed my 27 inch iMac when I had it, but the truth is I just prefer to keep my components separate. The only other standalone Apple machine is the Mac Pro, starting at somewhere in the mid 2000.00 range or more and that is just completely impractical for most applications.

CIWS
11-02-10, 08:00 AM
My intent was not to recommend a specific model printer, just post an example of one possibility. My current printer is a network capable HP color laser. I've had it for about 3.5 years now (had to buy due to Vista) and it works fine. The main point I wanted to impart to the OP was to go laser vs inkjet because he mentioned volume printing.

Any potential buyer can now easily look up comments made by owners of various models to determine if they're looking at a quality product or a POS when shopping for what to buy.

EcSTSatic
11-02-10, 08:27 AM
I just updated the surplus Dell Precision 370 I bought for $150 with a student discounted copy of Win7 Pro for $20. I had to upgrade the video card for $40 but in the end I have a very decent machine.
I do some web design, personal/business finances, graphics, internet etc - no gaming.

ThumperPup
11-02-10, 09:39 AM
HP makes overall good printers with HORRIBLY bloatware'd bundled software (which honestly, you don't even have to install as every O/S in the world can drive an HP printing language). Their computers however, and particularly the laptops, are downright awful. There are some "business" line HP laptops that are nearly as durable as Thinkpads, and I suspect those are TRUE HPs, whilst all the consumer level crap is what would have been Compaq in the past.

Im trying to remmebr the year i think in or around 2003 or 2004 Hp was voted one of the best laptops in the country
and now they suck lol
i know because i use to work for HP up in Pontiac Mi was EDS and then HP bought them out

billc83
12-02-10, 07:04 PM
A special thanks to everyone who helped me out. I'm now running a new system. Liking Windows 7, though I don't like my new keyboard so sticking with the old one.

Haven't gotten to a printer yet; I don't need it yet.

EcSTSatic
12-03-10, 03:19 PM
No printer???
We have 3 at home, all on my network. I got a steal on a color laser over Thanksgiving weekend They sell for $400 online. I got the same one for $180!!

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/public/YmggHhIKYlmJ3MTkcUBvfFbqs7xwWFsY4XPbcOUYJJinL1FsRo 4PE9RGkil-Jb_3dBWMl5QDkHZeWSspJj81Z8DgE5rIdY6P5aYuWoOFhlSJQZ C0QrxsOQPtIjjEbk31FrsCvLAOhZVJu4OJwQNaQz2Om5nVebuu yslVquQakozbwpu4f70owZYHBJGTyiltILX6

billc83
12-03-10, 09:06 PM
I have two printers, but just haven't gotten an upgraded one because I haven't needed to print anything.

jedhead
12-04-10, 02:31 AM

One of our techs left a Toughbook open on the roof of the van and took off. The Toughbook went flying. I picked up the laptop and it was still running fine, but it was scratched up badly on the outside. Downside to Apple is that they are a pain to update the hard drive, memory, etc.

I find pretty good deals here on Dell PC's at Dell's outlet. They ship right away and you get the standard warranty and you can upgrade the warranty too.

http://www.dell.com/content/default.aspx?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh&~ck=bt

Bob