: Anyone know how long after an acident happend and a claim was files i have to go back

ThumperPup
10-31-10, 09:25 AM
Does anyone know is there a limit on time i have from the time a acident happend claim was filed and someone elses insurance paid the repair to my car

Last year about 13 months ago someone hit me in the front end
they made the bottomc ome loose but not falr they put a chip that was deep in the bumper from there trailer hit and pushed in the license plate cover
also damage the foam insert and it was bad enoguth to make the plastic lining in the wheel well come loose
they fixed the bumper repainted it and all
but i just noticed a few weeks ago when the shop was giving me an estimate on my paint job they said they will charge me a b it more because the fender where it meets the door on both sides are pushed out a bit so they hav eto adjust them
and if thats not the case then its frame damage from the acident iethere way they said it most likly happend from that acident
anyone els think this is possible and
does anyone know is it to late for me to go back to the guys ins company and say fix this or invesitage and if the garage says its teh fualt from the acidnet and they have picts to show will his Ins be responsible to fix it weather its just needs to be readjusted or if the fram is bent or can they tell me i waited to long ?

no other acidents since
and i did a car fax and it was not involve in any front end colisions before i owned it

thanks

Ranger
10-31-10, 09:05 PM
I think you are S.O.L. You can't prove that you did not hit something in the last 13 months. The insurance Co. will not likely pay a dime more.

johnny kannapo
10-31-10, 09:28 PM
Hidden damages need to be corrected before the car is accepted back after the repair. If you suspected something was wrong the car should have been returned the next day and not accepted back until the necessary repairs are complete. If you over looked it, like ranger said.

At this point you need to retain an attorney. Not worth the effort.

Unfortunately a guy needs to bring the car to another body shop to inspect the repair to assure it all correct.

Insurance companies have very close relationships with body shops, they work hand in hand.

Ranger
10-31-10, 09:43 PM
Plus, the body shop SHOULD HAVE found any hidden damages and contacted the insurance company adjuster before any work started or at very least, as soon as they found it.

hueterm
10-31-10, 09:52 PM
13 months?? You'd be lucky to get another claim out of them 13 hours after accepting the car as repaired.

Yeah, you're SOL....

ThumperPup
11-01-10, 12:38 AM
ahh ok well SOL it is
i remmber like one time few years back in one of my lincolns i picked it up and like a week latter i was looking at it and it just didnt sit right found out it was the aftermarket headlamps they used and the Arfter market hood they used that made the size and width of a little also they didnt paint the inside of the new fender corectly
so they had to take it back rewrite a claim and ptu another 1000 worth of parts into it and then all that labor again

guess i wont really wory about it

how guess the only reason i was really worried is because they said it could be frame damge
is it hard for a shop to look at it like if i take it to a frame puller or somthing like that do they had to go threw alot to look at it and figure out if its just them needing to realight the fenders and tighten them up or if its frame damage
is that something hard to do or is it somehting that most body shops would check out for free ?

Ranger
11-01-10, 11:24 AM
It's a "unibody", there is no frame.

johnny kannapo
11-01-10, 12:49 PM
Sounds like the body shop guy got a couple of boat payments out of the deal.

Jesda
11-01-10, 01:05 PM
Unibody cars have frames, theyre just a part of the whole unibody.

ThumperPup
11-01-10, 05:26 PM
ok so what am i missing her
isnt a unitbody sevral parts and not just one frame ?

still not even shure its the frame or unibody thats bent
it might just be the fenders neew to be ajusted they said its posible that they just need to be adjusted where they bolt on

so not even shure about that yet

but what does it take to fix it if its a unibody is it difrant then a frame ?

Jesda
11-01-10, 07:14 PM
The pieces are all welded together to create one strong piece, which is how unibody cars absorb impacts so effectively. Unfortunately, it reduces their ability (inherently, but not always in practice, they -can- be made strong) to carry heavy loads or tow.

There is a "frame" and floorpan section of a unibody, but its not a separate frame that the body bolts on to like a Crown Vic. Its why on restoration shows you see them unbolting the body on an old muscle car and lift it away from the frame. You can't do that with a unibody car. You'd just end up with a shell.

ThumperPup
11-01-10, 11:59 PM
ohh so then how do they use a frame puller to fix it if its not one solid peace and its sevral peaces welded togethere isnt that not so good
would they just cut that part of and then weld a new peace on ?

Jesda
11-02-10, 07:31 AM
Its why buying a car with prior frame damage is not a good idea.

ThumperPup
11-02-10, 09:46 AM
Its why buying a car with prior frame damage is not a good idea.

nods i get that but is it fiable on a frame machine or is it not good to do that ?

i dont even know if thats the problem i know it wasnt when i bought it i looked over it and evyeirnng was flush agains the panels and all
not sticking out so it was fromw heni bought it it was after the fact it happend and im trying to think of maybe it just came loose the guy whent he hit me there are like hardly any force at all just enogh to put a little ding in the front pumper and make it come loose but not other damage
so im thinking its just that they need to be ajusted but if not im wondering is it recomended to put it on a frame machine or not
or can it even be doen with the unibody ?

Stingroo
11-02-10, 10:10 AM
Consult with a body shop that gives free estimates. That's pretty much the only thing you can do, we can't see how good/bad the situation is, but they could. Sucks you got a shoddy repair.

Jesda
11-02-10, 10:39 AM
Frame damage is mendable but I dont believe it ever retains its former strength after its been compromised.

ThumperPup
11-02-10, 02:23 PM
if i had frame damage wouldnt i notice the car pulling or something even with alighment wouldint ti ride crooked and probaly look slanted or crooked ?

Jesda
11-02-10, 02:24 PM
Depending on how badly it was hit or how well it was repaired, yes, it could drive strangely.

Example: I once test-drove a 2000 Mustang convertible with all kinds of accident damage. The car looked like it was patched together with sticks and gum in an aboriginal village. When you hit the throttle, the rear end went one way while the front end went another. You had to correct it with steering.

It also shook like a vibrating bed.

Some accidents are worse than others. Its amazing, the garbage that comes up on a typical used lot.

ThumperPup
11-02-10, 04:24 PM
hmm it just doesnt seem that way here then
because i dont get any pull
yeah vibration but nothign anyone els doenst get in these cars
and only thing that looks off is the fenders theyd ont look plush like they should be where the fender meets the doors
and doenst look crooked or anyting so im thinking maybe its just some bolts that need to be ajusted or something like that perhaps

Jesda
11-02-10, 06:15 PM
The fenders are often not flush with the doors on these K-body cars. Its truly baffling. My 98 and my 01 had this problem. The 01 hasnt been in any kind of side or front collision. I'm not sure if its shoddy manufacturing or a bolt that comes loose somewhere, causing the fender to bulge outward (which, in turn, is shoddy manufacturing).

ThumperPup
11-02-10, 09:23 PM
The fenders are often not flush with the doors on these K-body cars. Its truly baffling. My 98 and my 01 had this problem. The 01 hasnt been in any kind of side or front collision. I'm not sure if its shoddy manufacturing or a bolt that comes loose somewhere, causing the fender to bulge outward (which, in turn, is shoddy manufacturing).

ah ok cuase all i know is the paint shop body guy said it could be to things first thing he asked was it ever in an acident i said yes he sad bad i said nope
he said well it could be the frame or it could be the fender just needing to be adjusted
because the passenger one is sticking out a little mroe then the driver side one is a bit more flush but not all the way
i saw like 3 other sevilles that i stopped to look at at dealerhsip and only one of them had this problem the other 2 where great flush right up where they should be so i guess this is good to hear

Ranger
11-02-10, 10:20 PM
Maybe it was put on a lift with the lift pads in the wrong place. That can pop the fender a bit, but should leave some evidence underneath as in a dent in the underside of the rocker panel.

ThumperPup
11-02-10, 11:40 PM
ah ok im gona go look for a dent or some evidence tomorrow when its light out
thanks for that idea

ThumperPup
11-04-10, 04:35 PM
i looked today and it does look like some smuck jacked the car up and put the plates in the wrong place under the fender and thats what made them bow out