: Tighten Gas Cap / Service Engine Light

mike sasso
10-31-10, 08:29 AM
I have a 2005 Escalade ESV. The other day after I filled up, I got an error message that said "Tighten Gas Cap". After that, my check engine light came on. This happened once before, and I took it to the dealer and they reset it for me for $125. Does anyone know how to reset this?
Thanks!!

bizzob223
10-31-10, 09:33 AM
You can usually do it one of two ways. If you have removed and properly retightened the gas cap, the check engine light will usually reset itself within about 40 miles. The other option would be to take it to an autoparts store (Autozone, Advanced) and they can scan for error codes, let you know what they are and clear and reset them usually for free.

Bob

Gale Hawkins
10-31-10, 04:30 PM
I have read removing the negative battery cable over night may remove the codes/CEL light in some vehicles.

I do not understand the $125 charge.

Subsystem
11-02-10, 09:37 AM
I have read removing the negative battery cable over night may remove the codes/CEL light in some vehicles.

I do not understand the $125 charge.

This.

However 5 mins should do the trick. If there is still a issue after the reset the light will come back and you will have to get the codes read to see what is causing it.

CEPMAN
11-02-10, 10:55 PM
Dude - this happens to me all the time. $125 is a complete rip off!!! They saw you in an Escalade and decided to jack the prices through the roof. I've actually bought 2 additional/replacement gas caps, and the problem went away at first, but then came back after a little while.

I think there might be some kind of design flaw preventing the cap from securing really tightly. When I put mine on, continuing to twist does nothing, but the cap always comes off very easily.

gliz
11-09-10, 01:02 AM
I get the same message on my 2005 Escalade. After replacing with a new fuel cap the check engine light is still on and I still get the message. Did you ever resolve the problem?

CEPMAN
11-10-10, 08:40 PM
My light comes and goes. Sometimes it'll go off, and stay off for a while, then I'll get the dreaded 'tighten gas cap' light, and even if I do (even though there's no real way to 'tighten' the cap) the light will come on. Then it'll stay on for a few days, and then go off again. The caps fit on kinda loose, and I say this because of how easily they come off. It'd be nice if there was a way to make the cap fit tighter.

myaeger
08-23-13, 03:37 PM
Answer to the fuel cap issue:
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16989

rfishoutofwater
08-23-13, 04:22 PM
I have switched over to the locking gas cap from oreillys auto parts and have never had an issue with idiot light coming on. With gas prices the way they are its cheap insurance.

the cadillac man
08-23-13, 09:52 PM
I have switched over to the locking gas cap from oreillys auto parts and have never had an issue with idiot light coming on. With gas prices the way they are its cheap insurance.

I agree I also got one when mine went bad

wake
08-25-13, 12:19 PM
I get the same message on my 2005 Escalade. After replacing with a new fuel cap the check engine light is still on and I still get the message. Did you ever resolve the problem?

You probably have an issue somewhere in the evap system. My friend with an 06 Denali (same vehicle) ended up getting I believe it was the purge solenoid replaced to fix hers after a new gas cap didn't cure the problem. It's a $20 part that takes about 15 minutes to change underneath the truck so it might be worth a shot before going to the dealership. I replaced mine as I was having a hard time getting the tank to fill completely, seems that this was an issue with letting air in the tank not escape while filling. The old one looked pretty corroded inside.

atlrus
08-26-13, 01:39 PM
You probably have an issue somewhere in the evap system.

+1.

Mine throws an EVAP (solenoid) code faithfully once a year, out of the blue. After I clear it - about an year later, there it goes again :)

$125 for a code clearance?!? You could've bought your own scanner and have money to spare. What a rip off!

the cadillac man
08-26-13, 01:49 PM
+1.

Mine throws an EVAP (solenoid) code faithfully once a year, out of the blue. After I clear it - about an year later, there it goes again :)

$125 for a code clearance?!? You could've bought your own scanner and have money to spare. What a rip off!

I agree so far i haven't haven't had the solenoid code but my dads h2 thrown the code back of this