: - would you buy sts again? Would you recommend?

SHOWGIRL
10-31-10, 09:07 AM
Hi - never owned an STS ... the safety 'ratings' aren't as 'high' on some areas as the CTS if 'that' really means anything ...
If you're happy with the car i guess you'd recommend it ... V6... not sure about what they call 1SA vs 1SB - other poster earlier listed the differences but don't know if they apply to the 2010.
We just tried the DTS 2010 ...not overly impressed...so we'll try the STS tomorrow ..V6, 1SB -another is available with 1SA but as i said i don't know the 'difference .
Know the pep of the CTS - it's nice - but there are other things we don't care for about it - i.e. uncomfortable seats...
Thanks in advance for your input SG
PS: salesman stated this car (STS) though being discontinued will always be wanted by Caddy STS-lovers.

KRSTS
10-31-10, 01:26 PM
In a heartbeat! I have an 08 V6 1SB.

colonel1228
10-31-10, 01:45 PM
without question, I would buy again. I love my 07 STS. Plenty of room, loaded with options (nav,heated and vented seats, custom grill and ground kit) Good power from the V8 too. I like the ride and how it handles. I see loads of CTSs around here but the STS is rare. I thought the DTS was in the grandparent line. I would suggest trying a STS with the V8 instead of the 6.

EChas3
10-31-10, 02:51 PM
I'd easily do it again. In fact, I can envision buying a 'spare' 1SG in a couple years. :) (I'm only kidding, but it may not be as crazy as it sounds! At 12,000 miles a year I may need 2 more 'daily drivers' to reach geezer-hood.)

The 1SG is the top trim level. 2010 was it's last year. It's the fully loaded V8 and usually has all the goodies. You can't get the Adaptive Cruise Control in any AWD except 1SG.

jimmbo
10-31-10, 07:29 PM
No Way. As small as this thing is it is a real pain to park, my Fleetwood Brougham is easier, besides a pickup truck has a smoother ride.

BaTu
10-31-10, 08:16 PM
ABSOLUTELY!, as long as I can buy a 65K car w/20K miles for a 1/3 of MSRP after a 3yr lease is up :)

No Way. As small as this thing is it is a real pain to park, my Fleetwood Brougham is easier, besides a pickup truck has a smoother ride.

I have come to totally rely on the parking assistant (I have to watch myself parking my truck now though, which doesn't have that...;)

Why would you buy an STS (vs a DTS) if you weren't looking for a "performance" suspension? Frankly, mine could be a little firmer and I wouldn't mind, and this is with the Mag-Ride set to firm!

Pjazz
10-31-10, 09:01 PM
I agree. I have the magnaride and wish it was a bit stiffer. Love my 07. My previous car was a BMW 323 wagon. Before that I had 97 STS.

EChas3
10-31-10, 09:25 PM
My AWD 1SG (MRC) can be too firm for my taste but I love the road feel. So I run 28 PSI rear and 29 front in P235/50R18 Conti DWS all around instead of staggered OEM Michelins. Handling and ride is an easily demonstrated trade-off. Others are more subtle.

Design is all about trade-off's. The STS trim levels are really opportunities for a buyer to choose a car that best suits their preferences. Unfortunately, most sales representatives are more concerned with the sale than matching a buyer to the car that's right for them. So that's the buyer's job.

malatu
10-31-10, 11:44 PM
In a heartbeat ..... best car I've owned.

jedhead
10-31-10, 11:49 PM
I love driving my STS-V. Although I work from home, I drove 31K miles since August 2009. I am already planning on replacing my 2006 STS-V for a low milage 2008/2009 towards the end of next year. The combination of luxury, performance and rarity can't be beat. I do wish the car was a little more reliable, but the CPO warranty helps in that area.

Bob

TobyJohnson11
11-01-10, 01:28 AM
I am planning on buying another sts within the next year. I love my v8 1SG....I would not recommend the v6 unless you don't care about all the extra options, but if you don't care about all the extra options then buy a cts.....

Good luck future Cadillac owner.......

SHOWGIRL
11-01-10, 10:50 AM
I am planning on buying another sts within the next year. I love my v8 1SG....I would not recommend the v6 unless you don't care about all the extra options, but if you don't care about all the extra options then buy a cts.....
Good luck future Cadillac owner.......
----------------------------
Many thanks for all the wonderful ideas ... we 'are' current CTS owners (2010) but found the STS now to be a tad more roomier inside the cabin (is this an airplane?! LOL) anyway ...in the interior - haven't driven the STS yet ...

turnne
11-01-10, 10:58 AM
I'd easily do it again. In fact, I can envision buying a 'spare' 1SG in a couple years. :) (I'm only kidding, but it may not be as crazy as it sounds! At 12,000 miles a year I may need 2 more 'daily drivers' to reach geezer-hood.)

The 1SG is the top trim level. 2010 was it's last year. It's the fully loaded V8 and usually has all the goodies. You can't get the Adaptive Cruise Control in any AWD except 1SG.

But as I recall you can get 1SG without buying an AWD"
I would swear there is a non AWD 1SG driving around in my area. It has the black crest on the grille..indicating ACC..but it does not have the "4" on the rear end

Actually you buying a second 1SG is not crazy at all.....in a couple of years these will be easily be found for under 10K
I just saw a clean 03( previous generation STS) with Nav , satellite radio and 70K sell for $6500. Not that original sticker has anything to do with market value...but anyway that car had to have a sticker of about $60,000...as my old 02( without Nav or Satellite radio) had a $55,800 sticker

Could you buy a second runaround car for $6500...seems quite reasonable to me

Warren

turnne
11-01-10, 11:01 AM
ABSOLUTELY!, as long as I can buy a 65K car w/20K miles for a 1/3 of MSRP after a 3yr lease is up :)

I think you can rest assured that's going to be the case..it has been for the last 20 years

Warren

Greg00coupe
11-01-10, 01:19 PM
I love mine. My first was an '00 which frankly I got rid of too soon. Lots of life left in it. You got to keep in mind that comparing a CTS, DTS and STS these are 3 different cars. Like color it comes down to a personal choice. Ride handling etc.

But you have to realize with all the whistles and bells........ more opportunity for something to break.

And on this forum like any other forum you usually only hear the negatives.

But in my experience with a Cadillac for the last 7 years I've only had two issues and they where not that big of a deal.

It's fun to see what models they bring out..... like many others I might eye ball a '10 model and think maybe I'll get one of those in 3 or 4 years.

caddyfat2
11-01-10, 03:40 PM
Nope, I think this will be my last one.
(reliability issues)

Midnight
11-01-10, 05:14 PM
I bought used. I have put about 20k on it. Used, it's an awesome car, even after accounting for higher repair costs. I would buy again. I would recommend to a friend but would definitely warn them on the parts being a bit more expensive and the sheer amount of gadgetry that might break (although much of it can break and only be a minor annoyance). The other thing I'd warn about is the lack of competent dealers in my area.

Re: Safety ratings, not sure which you're looking at but I remember looking at these in detail and the STS got lowered (IMO unfairly) due to the headrest being adjustable (and not locking). Everything else, like the front and side crash was pretty good.

The STS has a nice interior, but it's not very "cushy". If you're looking for a couch on wheels, it will not make you happy... the seats are not very pillowy and the suspension is pretty tight. I prefer this because I can feel the road and feel connected and in control. But it's not for everyone. Supposedly the DTS is softer.

> will always be wanted by Caddy STS-lovers.
Well, lol, think about it. Caddy STS lovers will always love STS. That's not saying much. Misleading dealer is misleading. Don't buy this car for resale. Honestly, never buy any car for resale. Buy it because you like it.

Good luck in your choice :)