: Things have changed in printers

creeker
10-30-10, 06:52 PM
It's been about 8 years since I've bought a printer for my computer, their all
so big now (all in one ?) all I want is a simple black and white smallish printer,
my last printer was a canon S300, about the size of a bread maker,
does anyone know of a simple black and white printer that isn't the size
of a 57 buick ?.

OffThaHorseCEO
10-30-10, 07:00 PM
my gf has a lexmark z1420. pretty small and has wifi connectivity

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&expIds=17259,24472,25638,26095,26425,26562,26637,2 7060,27113,27147,27284,27357&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=lexmark+z1420&cp=9&biw=1280&bih=625&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=15276046236908344106&ei=XJXMTIDfHoX6lwf15uXjCA&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&sqi=2&ved=0CCwQ8wIwAg#

Aron9000
10-30-10, 08:47 PM
If all you want to do is print black and white, you can buy a laser printer for real cheap now days. Even color laser printers are cheap, but I don't know what sort of quality the cheap ones do on photos and such. If you plan to use it a lot, the toner lasts a lot longer than inkjet cartridges, much more economical.

Also I worked at office depot about 5 years ago. Avoid Brother printers at all costs, huge POS's and a lot of customers returned new ones that were broke after a couple of months.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=630&name=Printer-Laser-Printers

Also, Newegg.com has become my favorite tech site. Their warehouse is in Memphis, so I do pay sales tax. But man its the freaky fast free shipping that I love. If they send my order out the same day I put it in, I get it the next day. Usually they get it to me in two days though, but never more than two days.

Jesda
10-30-10, 09:04 PM
I went through Brother printers like crazy because the new ones cost the same as many toners. I kept them going with tape, pins, foam, and other home-made remedies. I finally switched back to HP. They seem to have gotten out of their malaise period a few years ago when their printers were consistently horrible.

EChas3
10-30-10, 11:33 PM
Some of these ink jet printers sell for less than their replacement cartridges. A few internet searchs might find you something of 'compact' or 'mobile office' qualities.

Playdrv4me
10-30-10, 11:58 PM
What you are looking for has been superseded by the economical black and white laser printers mentioned above. Inkjet is now the domain of all-in-one devices because of the superb color output for relatively low cost. I would recommend a budget minded HP, Canon or Samsung laser printer. Don't get too excited over the sticker price in the printer section either... go to the toner area and check for the prices of the toners (with consideration to the maximum page count, not just the cost of the toner itself), then make an overall decision from there.

CIWS
10-31-10, 10:08 AM
If all you want to do is print black and white, you can buy a laser printer for real cheap now days. Even color laser printers are cheap, but I don't know what sort of quality the cheap ones do on photos and such. If you plan to use it a lot, the toner lasts a lot longer than inkjet cartridges, much more economical.

:yeah:

OffThaHorseCEO
10-31-10, 01:14 PM
printer prices are to ink/toner prices
what razor prices are to blade refill prices....

BUUUT, while some may think its cheaper to just buy the whole printer/razor instead of refill toner or blades, keep in mind that whats included in the box is STARTER ink and will last alot less than replacement ink/toner

creeker
10-31-10, 03:16 PM
Thanks for all the good advice.