: Changing fuel filter

NelsonSTS
10-29-10, 11:27 PM
I'm going to be changing the fuel filter on my '05 STS. What is the exact location of the fuel filter? I read online that its by the fuel tank on the right rear passenger side. I also read about a special tool to disconnect the quick-connect fittings on the filter. How necessasry is this tool and can I use a substitute for it like a pair of pliers? Thanks

Regulator
10-30-10, 09:16 AM
This is one nasty job. I would advise you to pay a jiffy lube type place to do it for you....well worth it.

Otherwise, my recommendation is to buy the expensive GM fuel filter removal tool and it takes much more muscle than you think it would in order to get the tool wedged in the line to remove the filter. When the filter is removed, be prepared for plenty of gas getting everywhere.

To answer your question....there is no way you can remove the filter without this tool. In fact, you almost can't remove it with the tool.

Good luck

EChas3
10-30-10, 09:48 AM
Some members report success with less expensive 'generic' tools. EWill3rd tells us that Cadillac no longer considers fuel filter replacement as periodic scheduled maintenance. He only recommends replacement when an issue suggests reduced fuel flow.

NelsonSTS
10-31-10, 08:45 PM
I take it since there was no comment on the location I stated for the filter I atleast have the correct spot. And depending on how I feel this coming weekend will decide on if I change the filter myself or take it somewhere. Thanks again guys.

Pjazz
10-31-10, 09:29 PM
I'm glad this was asked. I was debating if I should pay the stealer a recommended 50k fuel filter replacement plus some type of injector flush. I know I don't want to deal with replacing the filter myself, and since the car is running pretty smoothly maybe I won't bother.

EChas3
10-31-10, 09:32 PM
Hey guys! Can anyone confirm the fuel filter location for Nelson? A pic would make his task much easier.

Pjazz - Spend the $90 on throttle-body service or clean it yourself. You'll enjoy the improved throttle response (IMHO).

Midnight
10-31-10, 11:57 PM
I changed mine, it was on the passenger side like in front of the rear tire, not too bad to get to. You definitely need fuel line disconnector tools of the right size... and even with them it takes a ton of hand strength to pop them. At least mine did. Also, there's hardly any room - if my tools had wasted any space they wouldn't have worked. Mine were this kind: http://www.greatnecksaw.com/images/product_images/large/25052.jpg