: LED Head light flickers off?

BlackRavenDTS
10-29-10, 09:58 PM
So on random nights at random times for no reason.... Sometimes my Head lights flicker and go out. I have to turn them off then back on. I have to reset them like 3 times max before they finally stay on for the whole ride.

Then weeks will go by fine then act up again.

I know it's not the bulb cause they turn back on.

I've heard it's the "balist" Did anyone else have this problem? Did you find a perminate fix?

Rusty058
10-30-10, 11:10 AM
I have an appointment for next thursday to diagnose the exact problem you describe.Mine had flickered a couple times but stayed on.Then last week as I was driving one of the headlights just went out.Next day the lights came on like nothing happened.The service managed @ my local dealer thinks it's a ballast problem as the light had been coming back on.

BlackRavenDTS
10-30-10, 11:38 AM
Ive heard the same thing... please get back to me on what you find out please.

jolted778@comcast.net is my email.

jackd
10-30-10, 06:38 PM
sounds like the ballast problem, I had the same problem with my 07 and they changed the whole headlight assembly, thank goodness for warranty, as I believe it is quite an expensive fix, upwards of $1,000 or more.

BlackRavenDTS
10-30-10, 09:22 PM
I dont have warranty :(

Rusty058
10-31-10, 11:40 AM
I have the extended bumper to bumper warranty but I'm guessing it won't be covered.I'll keep everyone updated next thursday

jackd
10-31-10, 03:31 PM
The extended warranty will cover the headlight ballast, I highly recommend the gmpp extended warranty, my factory warranty runs out to-day and I purchased the gmpp for another two years, my wife has extended warranty on her srx and it has paid for itself dollar wise and peace of mind. I got a quote from my local cadillac dealer and then went online and got a lower quote from another dealer, my dealer matched that lower price which saved me many 100's of dollars.

ffrog
11-03-10, 12:37 PM
The extended warranty will cover the headlight ballast, I highly recommend the gmpp extended warranty, my factory warranty runs out to-day and I purchased the gmpp for another two years, my wife has extended warranty on her srx and it has paid for itself dollar wise and peace of mind. I got a quote from my local cadillac dealer and then went online and got a lower quote from another dealer, my dealer matched that lower price which saved me many 100's of dollars.

Here is what is NOT covered by the GMPP extended warranty. As you can see headlights are not covered - the DTS is a sealed unit. I may be wrong but I do not think that they can just replace the ballast.

WHAT THIS AGREEMENT DOES NOT COVER
Unless required in connection with the repair of a covered part, WE will not pay anything under this Agreement for engine tune-up, suspension alignment, wheel balancing, filters, lubricants, engine coolant, drive belts, radiator hoses, heater and vacuum hoses, windshield wiper blades, air conditioning recharging, fluids, spark/glow plugs and wires, brake pads and linings, brake shoes and rotors, manual clutch disc, or any maintenance service or part required to be performed or replaced as recommended by the VEHICLE manufacturer's Maintenance Schedule.

Additionally, neither rust damage nor any of the following parts as defined by the VEHICLE manufacturer’s parts manual are covered under any circumstance: sheet metal, chassis frame, cross members, body rails, body panels or other body parts, bumpers, glass, carpet, weather-strips, lenses, sealed beams, light bulbs, tires, trim, convertible or vinyl tops, moldings, bright metal, upholstery, paint, exhaust system, catalytic converter, hinges, brake drums, shock absorbers, or batteries. In addition, the following are not covered: correction of air and water leaks, wind noise, odors, squeaks, or rattles.

BlackRavenDTS
11-03-10, 02:31 PM
a.k.a. your entire car

jackd
11-03-10, 06:43 PM
They will replace headlight assembly under extended warranty,just have to pay deductable.

Rusty058
11-03-10, 07:08 PM
They will replace headlight assembly under extended warranty,just have to pay deductable.

The fact that my headlight came back on probably means ballast not bulb,therefore it should be covered minus the deductable.

Rusty058
11-04-10, 04:43 PM
Well,it was the ballast not the bulb.ffrog was right,the ballast being part of the whole headlight assembly I had to foot the bill($1000)

jackd
11-04-10, 06:42 PM
Rusty, I have my my gmpp extended warranty plan in front of me and it clearly states under high tech features,"headlight ballast and start unit" is covered under extended warranty, I would suggest that you check your plan. I am not trying to be pushy but I would hate to see you paying for something that you don't have to.

Rusty058
11-05-10, 11:50 PM
Rusty, I have my my gmpp extended warranty plan in front of me and it clearly states under high tech features,"headlight ballast and start unit" is covered under extended warranty, I would suggest that you check your plan. I am not trying to be pushy but I would hate to see you paying for something that you don't have to.

I took the info you put forth,got my warranty out and contacted GMPP.The tech report stated it was the ballast.John from GMPP told me to fax the info(tech report,proof of payment) to them and they'll review it.From his tone it sounded like a MAY get a refund.I'll keep everyone updated.

tedcmiller
11-10-10, 12:17 AM
The headlamps on the 2006 and later DTSs are not LED (Light Emitting Diode) headlamps as the thread implies - they are HID (High Intensity Discharge) headlamps.

BlackRavenDTS
11-10-10, 10:30 AM
opps.. hahaha i just noticed that...:lolsign:

Rusty058
11-15-10, 05:33 PM

Thanks Jack! Your were correct as I recieved a check for $1,011 today from GMPP today.Now the problem becomes do I trust the dealer to be honest with me.I don't appreciate being screwed to a degree by people who know I have a extended B to B coverage and don't even know what's covered.:helpless:If I lived closer to where Hartfordguy lives I would ask his advice about a reputable dealer but now I think I'll go back to Tremonte Auto Group in Branford where I bought the car.You guys(gals) are the best,thanks for the input!

jackd
11-15-10, 06:24 PM
You are very welcome Rusty, the people on this thread are great, I am very pleased that you got your money back, happy I could be of some help. I would definatley speak to the dealer that you went to and hopfully it was just a mistake and not done intentionally.