: Security flaw makes Cadillac Escalades a targets for thieves

Lord Cadillac
10-29-10, 03:18 PM
How do they do it?
First, they break a window and crawl into the drivers seat. Then, the thieves force the gear lever out of park so the SUV can be pushed. Our expert says that's a security flaw. Another problem pointed out by our expert: some Escalades have no steering wheel lock, so if you can push it, you can steer it.

"General Motors took that off a few years back when they instituted the security systems figuring the car can't be driven," said Maeder.

Read more... (http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/local_news/investigations/security-flaw-renders-cadillac-escalade,-other-ritzy-gm-suvs-targets-for-thieves)

bstiffmanofsteel
10-29-10, 09:14 PM
Interesting...

ewill3rd
10-29-10, 09:49 PM
You could encase the thing in Kryptonite, if they want it, they will get it.
The column lock was deleted on all GM automatic transmission cars years ago, it's not a "security flaw" it was a redundancy.
There are manual overrides on everything that has an automatic shifter, if you know where it is you can disengage it in a heartbeat.

DTEK01
10-30-10, 12:09 AM
Where in the world do some of these people live???? Car being stolen over and over again...geez

evois
10-30-10, 02:57 AM
you can actually buy a shock sensor and/or tilt sensor that would activate the alarm as well do a starter kill as part of the gm security but is an option and not standard. the dealer installed it for me including two tire locks each in all the wheels.

MrSplenda
10-30-10, 04:24 AM
I just carry an FN Five-Seven in my middle console/on me (20+1 - 5.7x28cal). If it came down to it, and I was within 100 yards, I could protect my investment.

SouthernCaddy
10-30-10, 08:39 AM
if someone wants it they will get it, where I live you can leave your keys in the truck at night and never have to worry.

hcvone
10-30-10, 08:40 AM
Watch the repo guys work some time, with the tire jacks for moving cars they roll cars/trucks out of driveways and parking lots and the shock or tilt sensors will never go off, so nothing GM could do would stop that, if they want to steal it they are going too. :(

ErikU19
11-01-10, 01:40 AM
http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/local_news/investigations/security-flaw-renders-cadillac-escalade,-other-ritzy-gm-suvs-targets-for-thieves

Looks like a club isnt a bad idea.

Murph1219
11-01-10, 01:49 AM
A lock just keeps an honest man honest. Thats why we have insurance...

andre_outlaw
11-01-10, 02:40 AM
I just carry an FN Five-Seven in my middle console/on me (20+1 - 5.7x28cal). If it came down to it, and I was within 100 yards, I could protect my investment.

A car is not an investment.. it dosen't make you any money!

Rolex
11-01-10, 10:35 AM

While I appreciate this attitude, you may want to check ID law before engaging a common thief with lethal force. You'd have to have a miracle working lawyer to try to justify using deadly force against someone stealing property.....unless you live in Texas. :hide:

ID statute, Title 18, chapter 40 pertains to an officer's use of deadly force, and so to would pertain to you if you're carrying with a permit:

Use of deadly force shall not be justified in overcoming actual resistance unless the officer has probable cause to believe that the resistance poses a threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or to other persons;

K9Caddy
11-01-10, 11:05 AM
I feared for my life... Plus, he "magically" had a knife in his hand. ;) Easily justified...

MrSplenda
11-01-10, 11:23 AM
In my state you can engage an individual if your life is in danger, if someone else's life is in danger, to prevent a felony, or rape. The Escalade is worth more than $500... so it would be a felony that would reward it self with a double tap through center mass.

Bottom line... you just never know when you are going to be a hero, or a victim.

evois
11-01-10, 11:30 AM
Watch the repo guys work some time, with the tire jacks for moving cars they roll cars/trucks out of driveways and parking lots and the shock or tilt sensors will never go off, so nothing GM could do would stop that, if they want to steal it they are going too. :(

which means it is not a security flaw.....

Bear
11-01-10, 06:15 PM
So then, what is the answer? I know they added the steering lock back to the Escalade in 2010, but that still seems to be easy to break. Lojack? Some loud obnoxious alarm when glass is broken? Something simple like the club? Just live with the fact that someone more than likely will attempt to steal it at some point? Guess I'm asking what everyone else is doing.

Rolex
11-01-10, 07:16 PM
The Escalade needs the trunk monkey theft retrieval system

geynA-JYDHE