: Does anyone work at a dealer? Need GM web access for door lock code.

swangin50
10-29-10, 02:26 PM
Hey guys, I think my wife somehow lost the fob with the door key on it or it's in the damn car! Anyways can someone get me the door lock code so that I can get a key made? I've done this once before but I live out in the country and have to drive a hour to the nearest GM dealer. I'll send you the vin number through email if you can help me. Thanks

RippyPartsDept
10-29-10, 02:51 PM
Short answer is that you'll have to go to a dealership... in person (can't send someone to get it for you).

The long explanation, in case you were looking for the specifics goes like this:
GM's keycode security policy requires an in-person visit to the dealership to look up key codes. Managers can over-ride the policy, but don't count on that happening. We have to get a copy of a govt. issued ID and an ownership document (title, registration, insurance). Basically a paper trail that proves we did due diligence.

Basically we tie you (in person) to your ID (photocopy) and then the name and address on the ID gets matched with the name and address on your ownership document. The paper-trail gets stored in a locked file cabinet for a year (in case we get audited by GM's keycode group). If we get audited and don't have the paper-trail my parts manager gets fined and we lose our access to look up keycodes.

RippyPartsDept
10-29-10, 02:52 PM
and the key is sold separately from the FOB

KRSTS
10-29-10, 03:02 PM
and the key is sold separately from the FOB

I know in 2008 and up, the key is internal to the fob so it sold as one unit. (sucking sound from wallet).:mad::crying2:

swangin50
10-29-10, 05:16 PM
Yeah, I just remembered that I had to take my title up to the dealer last time. Sucks! Looks like an hour drive from me...

RippyPartsDept
10-29-10, 07:17 PM
you don't have to go to a cadillac dealer to get the code
you can get it at any gm dealer
so call around and check with the dealers to see if they charge for the code lookup
find one who will look up your code for free... and let them know that's all you want... just the code

(you should have the code listed somewhere on your original invoice, by the way - technically the code belongs to both the owner and gm)

once you have the code, you can order by phone (or through me)

carlosm1974
12-01-10, 10:54 AM
So I partied on 6th Street and lost my keys...managed to replace key fob and office/house keys without the old lady finding out but am stuck on the door key for my 05 STS. Went to the dealer with title and ID, got a key made but took it home (drove my 08 STS to dealer) and it will not turn inthe key cylinder (it does go in with no prob). what is up? did they not cut it right?

Want to get this done before you know who finds out!

RippyPartsDept
12-01-10, 01:09 PM
yeah, tell them it doesn't work in the door (it's an emergency key w/o any kind of chip in it so it should be cheap)

we have problems every once in a while ... it's possible it was human error cutting the key (wrong keycode by accident) or maybe their cutting machine is messing it up somehow, but definitely go back and get a key that works

carlosm1974
12-01-10, 03:50 PM
thanks!

Now for the tough question: background, bought 08 STS V6 from auction site (flood vehicle). Really lucked out in that no water damage, engine runs great, car runs great, all electronics except:

seats
windows
steering column adjust

took it in for Tech-2 diagnostics to determine issue(s)
all modules communicate
window switches are recognized when pressed/pulled up
windows do not take tech2 commands/seats either

dealer tech told be that window motors lock up in high moisture environment (if it sits for awhile)
also to check with simple 12vdc light at the point it connects to window motor
try tapping motor while applying 12vdc to it (plan to try this weekend)
to check for proper grounding (plan to add frame ground to existing grounding points JIC)

any other ideas? I thought it might be a single module but they seem to be responding to Tech2

RippyPartsDept
12-01-10, 04:39 PM
hmm, not really sure... could be a real pain to correctly diagnose... the tech sounds pretty helpful in telling you what to look for

i'm just a parts guy so i'll have to defer you to people w/ experience but if you do end up needing any parts shoot me a PM and i'll see what kind of discounts we can get you

carlosm1974
12-03-10, 09:58 AM
thanks, you are right, the tech was super helpful and I learned alot about troubleshooting steps.
I own a 99 Eldo, 03 CTS, 05 STS, and now the 08 STS (which I am really enjoying driving). Just minor stuff that I need to address.

ps.. My wife drives a red 08 CTS and she loves it.

Carlos

RippyPartsDept
12-03-10, 11:20 AM
wow, that's quite the stable of caddy's you've got there carlos!

rzambrano
12-03-10, 01:23 PM
thanks, you are right, the tech was super helpful and I learned alot about troubleshooting steps.
I own a 99 Eldo, 03 CTS, 05 STS, and now the 08 STS (which I am really enjoying driving). Just minor stuff that I need to address.

ps.. My wife drives a red 08 CTS and she loves it.

Carlos

Can't wait to build up my list. Next is either another STS or an Escalade.

caddyfat2
12-03-10, 04:59 PM
Can't wait to build up my list. Next is either another STS or an Escalade.
What about an Allante? I had a pristine one that I traded for my STS a couple of years ago and that was one of the most funnest cars that I have ever owned in all of my 60 year old life.

rzambrano
12-03-10, 08:03 PM
I am not familiar with that car. However, with a simple google search, I can tell you its not my type of car. I am more into large cars. Thanks for the suggestion though.

EChas3
12-03-10, 08:14 PM
I am not familiar with that car. However, with a simple google search, I can tell you its not my type of car. I am more into large cars. Thanks for the suggestion though.

The best big car I ever owned was a '93 Buick Roadmaster. The best big car in our family was a '69 Mercury Marquis. I miss big cars.