http://www.whatwouldyouratherdrive.com/

The results are rolling in...

56.52% Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG
17.39% Chevrolet Camaro SS
8.7% Ford Mustang GT 5.0
8.7% Dodge Challenger SRT8
8.7% BMW M3
0.0% Dodge Charger SRT8

For anyone curious, the CTS-V will be included in the round with the M5 and E63 AMG...

Stingroo
10-29-10, 12:51 PM
lol Charger fail.

77CDV
10-29-10, 02:10 PM
Picked the 'Stang and Equus. Mopar's don't seem to be getting any love.

Jesda
10-29-10, 02:21 PM
I would have chosen the BMW 335 over the others including the M3 if it was an option.

Vinsanity
10-29-10, 02:29 PM
I picked the M3; surprised that it's as low as it is. It's generally considered to be a better driver's car than the C63. And for that matter, the Mustang is supposed to be a better driver's car than the Camaro. I do think the Camaro looks better, though.

Lord Cadillac
10-29-10, 02:30 PM
The 335i in stock form isn't really competitive with the rest. The closest would be the Dodge cars but it's so far away from the C63 and 5.0 - and the SS hands it a big beating as well.. Now modified is another story - but they can all be modified.

Lord Cadillac
10-29-10, 02:31 PM
The M3 definitely is a better driver's car than the C63 - but the C63 is faster - so maybe that's it. The Mustang is insanely fast - especially considering how much it costs. It handles well - but mainly on a track. Off track, the M3 is better. The Camaro is just so damned heavy.. Personally, I would never consider either of the Dodge cars..

I picked the M3; surprised that it's as low as it is. It's generally considered to be a better driver's car than the C63. And for that matter, the Mustang is supposed to be a better driver's car than the Camaro. I do think the Camaro looks better, though.

Jesda
10-29-10, 02:55 PM
Compared to the M3, it seems like the 335's power is better matched to the chassis. Nothing seems overwhelmed.

gdwriter
10-29-10, 03:15 PM
Voted Camaro. Although I'll admit the Mustang has a nicer interior and the 5.0 appears to be an awesome motor, so is the LS3, the Camaro looks so hot, and I just can't vote for a Ford. The BMW came in at a close second for me.

Lord Cadillac
10-29-10, 03:23 PM
Compared to the M3, it seems like the 335's power is better matched to the chassis. Nothing seems overwhelmed.

I never heard anyone say that about the M3.. Interesting.. I'm pretty sure the 335i was supposed to basically "be" the M3 without "being" an M3. In other words, BMW wanted to end production of the M3 - and at the last minute, they decided to produce it anyway. They detuned the 335i down to 330 horsepower from about 380 - and advertised it as 300. Then they continued on with the M3.

Voted Camaro. Although I'll admit the Mustang has a nicer interior and the 5.0 appears to be an awesome motor, so is the LS3, the Camaro looks so hot, and I just can't vote for a Ford. The BMW came in at a close second for me.

Both cars, Camaro and Mustang, are really nice. I'm shocked at how nicely the 5.0 takes to modifications, however.. You're going to see the 80s all over again in regards to pony car wars..

ryannel2003
10-29-10, 03:31 PM
I voted for the M3, particularly because it's the best drivers car of the bunch IMO and I love the timeless styling. The Camaro is a close 2nd for me; the new Mustang may be quicker, but Ford took the '05-'09 Mustang, stuck it in the microwave for 15 seconds and there you have it... the new Mustang. Not a fan.

gary88
10-29-10, 03:40 PM

The only thing lacking IMO is the lack of an LSD on the 335i. Exiting a turn early with a good amount of throttle will cause the DSC to cut in right away reducing power until the rear brakes sort it all out. With DSC off you just have one wheel drive and the car steps out sideways and tries to kill you.

BMW hasn't put LSDs on non-M cars since the e30, but the enthusiast community is definitely pushing them to at least offer one through BMW Performance since the 3-series is much more powerful than it used to be.

Lord Cadillac
10-29-10, 03:53 PM
They do offer a Dinan fully warranted LSD...

The only thing lacking IMO is the lack of an LSD on the 335i. Exiting a turn early with a good amount of throttle will cause the DSC to cut in right away reducing power until the rear brakes sort it all out. With DSC off you just have one wheel drive and the car steps out sideways and tries to kill you.

BMW hasn't put LSDs on non-M cars since the e30, but the enthusiast community is definitely pushing them to at least offer one through BMW Performance since the 3-series is much more powerful than it used to be.

Aron9000
10-29-10, 04:36 PM
^Yeah, that Dinan limited slip is probably like $5,000 though.

Anyways, I voted for M3. Although there is quite a spread in prices on these cars, the Benz and BMW are 60-70k, the others are like 35-40k. Out of all the cheaper ones, I like the Challenger SRT-8 the best. Best looking, more room than the Camaro, and its not a stupid ugly Mustang.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-29-10, 04:53 PM
I went for the M3. All the reviews I read about them are wildly in love with the car, and I think it's a great looking car, and it's gonna be more comfortable/luxurious than any of the others. Plus, chicks dig BMW's.

Aron9000
10-29-10, 06:07 PM
Also, the M3 V8 is probably the closest thing you can get in feel to a Forumla 1 motor this side of a Ferrari. 4.0L small displacment, 8300rpm redline, yeah that's a nice screamer right there:burn:

gary88
10-29-10, 06:33 PM
Actually the V10 S85 which the M3's S65 is derived from was inspired by BMW's F1 division.

Aron9000
10-29-10, 07:05 PM
Actually the V10 S85 which the M3's S65 is derived from was inspired by BMW's F1 division.

BMW M3 V8:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVM6fWjNVEk

BMW M5 V10:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGDwjQESLpM&feature=related

Okay now I have to go rub one out.:drool:

Stingroo
10-29-10, 08:02 PM
...the new Mustang may be quicker, but Ford took the '05-'09 Mustang, stuck it in the microwave for 15 seconds and there you have it... the new Mustang. Not a fan.

:highfive: SOMEBODY AGREES! Thank f**k I thought I was the only person who noticed that!

creeker
10-29-10, 08:35 PM

I saw a comparison t.v. report a while back, camaro and mustang, the mustang came out on top, I still like the looks of the camaro over the mustang.

RippyPartsDept
10-30-10, 04:38 PM
saving grace of the mustang (imho) is the rear turn signals flashing from inside to out... i crack a smile every time i see it

that, and the ford sync

Sandy
10-31-10, 12:33 AM
[B]Sorry...I do not lust after "Foreign" vehicles. My first would be either a Cadillac or Lincoln, followed by the tip top edition of a Buick or a Chrysler.

Gun to head, I MUST drive foreign, then it would be a Jaguar V-12 Sedan

Playdrv4me
10-31-10, 02:18 AM
I never heard anyone say that about the M3.. Interesting.. I'm pretty sure the 335i was supposed to basically "be" the M3 without "being" an M3. In other words, BMW wanted to end production of the M3 - and at the last minute, they decided to produce it anyway. They detuned the 335i down to 330 horsepower from about 380 - and advertised it as 300. Then they continued on with the M3.

As a former owner of a so-called "real" M3, I can say it was one of the least enjoyable, most tooth-chattering vehicles I ever owned. The beauty of the 335i is that it outperforms the M3 I owned, still manages to be civil when you aren't out on a racetrack, and is priced within reach for many. Far as I'm concerned, the last M3 that mattered if you are into that sort of thing was the E46. And really, the "heart and soul" of the M3 lies most clearly in the E30, since back then there was a VERY appreciable difference in character and power between the garden variety cars and the M3.

As spectacular as the 335 has become (and getting more-so with the upcoming "iS" version)... BMW should focus on the M5 and dump the M3 altogether... its time.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-31-10, 03:01 AM
Gun to head, I MUST drive foreign, then it would be a Jaguar V-12 Sedan

Yeah, but the last time Jaguar put a V-12 into an XJ was 1994 or 1995. Great looking cars though.

As spectacular as the 335 has become (and getting more-so with the upcoming "iS" version)... BMW should focus on the M5 and dump the M3 altogether... its time.

What's in the 335is?

Playdrv4me
10-31-10, 03:06 AM
What's in the 335is?

Per Edmunds...

"The new top-of-the-line 335iS Coupe and Convertible feature a tweaked version of the tried and true twin-turbocharged N54 3.0-liter inline-6. It now delivers 322 horsepower and 332 pound-feet of torque. It also now packs a unique overboost feature that allows the engine to achieve a 10-second burst of up to 369 pound-feet of torque. The car channels its power through a standard six-speed manual transmission, although an optional seven-speed dual-clutch automated manual will also be offered.

BMW claims the 2011 BMW 335iS will reach 60 mph from a standstill in 5.1 seconds when the six-speed manual is in place, while the car shaves a further 0.1 second from the time to 5.0 seconds when the dual-clutch transmission is used. BMW also claims a top speed of 150 mph for the 335iS, which is a direct response to Audi's new S4."

Thus pushing the M3 even further into obsolescence... especially when you consider that A. using the M3's power isn't even possible in most places short of a track and B. you LOSE the BMW I6 feel ALTOGETHER.

Jesda
10-31-10, 05:04 AM
BMW took the overboost idea from Saab. :)

335 is one of my top picks for used cars 10 years from now.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-31-10, 10:11 AM
Damn Ian, that sounds nice. I understand what you're saying about the 335 taking the place of the M3 for all intensive purposes, but BMW getting rid of the M3 is like Cadillac getting rid of V8's altogether.

Hey, wait a second....

drewsdeville
10-31-10, 11:28 AM
Challenger.

Sure it's not the fastest, but it's fast enough for me. I can't get over the awesome styling and great ride quality for a pony car.

gary88
10-31-10, 01:53 PM

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/6374/notsureifserious.jpg

The M3 way outsells the M5, the ALMS M3s have been kicking ass, and BMW is also set to bring the M3 back to DTM. The M3 has been and always will be the quintessential M car, while the M5 is more of the physics-defying Autobahn stormer. Luckily BMW has the resources to make both the M3 and M5/6 spectacular, so neither is going away anytime soon.

The 335i is about as good as a daily driver can get, but performance-wise the M3 is still king. It's not hard to make a 335i faster than an M3 on the street, but on a track the M3 will run circles around it all day.

Also the 335is has been out for awhile now :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1-1Q30yH5A

It's basically a normal 335i with the Performance Power Kit (plus overboost), a slightly different version of the Performance exhaust, optional DCT, and some more badges. Will be a phenomenal used buy in a few years.

Cadillacboy
10-31-10, 01:57 PM
I would like to say Malibu but actually not , I would go for VW Passat overall but design wise Kia Optima , they made a good aggressive looking ride

Playdrv4me
10-31-10, 10:13 PM
The M3 way outsells the M5, the ALMS M3s have been kicking ass, and BMW is also set to bring the M3 back to DTM. The M3 has been and always will be the quintessential M car, while the M5 is more of the physics-defying Autobahn stormer. Luckily BMW has the resources to make both the M3 and M5/6 spectacular, so neither is going away anytime soon.

The 335i is about as good as a daily driver can get, but performance-wise the M3 is still king. It's not hard to make a 335i faster than an M3 on the street, but on a track the M3 will run circles around it all day.

You see, all of what you just mentioned can be a true statement, but it still doesn't change the fact that the M3 now, is nothing more than a big, high revving (though not high low end torque) V8 shoehorned into a small car, along with all of the side effects of such an arrangement. Anyone can do this and make a car fast, they can turbocharge THAT and make a car even faster... But what made previous M3s special was that they retained the true character of the 3 Series, and the HEART of a BMW with that straight six, and amped it up past 11. Let's be honest here, 95 percent of those who purchase an M3 are not doing so because they actually plan to do any real performance driving with it, but rather just to say they have an M3. It's a badge car now, a halo for the 3 series line-up in name only. So no, I was not serious about "dumping" the M3 because you're absolutely correct, it IS a cash cow. But as for what it stands for in the 3 series line-up? It serves no legitimate purpose. I would rather see significant modification done to an I6, and have that combined with the chassis modifications of the M3. If Cadillac can win races with the CTS-V, and the CTS-V is a closer competitor to the M5, then I would assume BMW could focus their efforts there just as easily.

Sorry, I just don't see a point to this car from a driver's perspective in its current state. Is the M3 a good car on its own? Sure, its a fantastic car... But is it better than a 335i or iS in the same way that an Audi S4 or C63 is better than a garden variety A4 or C Class? No, it's not even close to being that much better, because the 335 is already so good. While I am sure you disagree, there are many BMW enthusiasts who find that the car just isn't what it used to be.

EDIT: It appears there may be hope after all, or at least there was at some point!... http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1043666_report-next-gen-bmw-m3-goes-six-cylinder-drops-sedan