: Driver's Lock Cylinder Doesn't Work, But Need to Program FOB

rzambrano
10-28-10, 11:02 PM
Continuation of this thread.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2010/213478-fob-made-me-late-work.html

After last week's fiasco, I decided to order another FOB. I received it last night, and as I pull in to the car and get the manual out, I didn't get past the first steps. I am stuck at the "turn your key 5 times", reason is my key doesn not turn in the lock cylinder. What do I do? The key works because it locks/unlocks my glove compartment box.

EChas3
10-28-10, 11:44 PM
Push, pull & wiggle don't work? You gotta trip that switch the 5 times to start the programming sequence. Members claim it's possible to match a fob using e TechII but a dealer will fix that lock for the same price (probably close, anyway).

Did you get your duplicate key with the car? I don't know if they can check the key codes to unsure your key is the right one. GM keys used to come with 'knockouts' that had a cross-reference code for such purpose.

Good luck!

rzambrano
10-29-10, 12:06 AM
Push, pull & wiggle don't work? You gotta trip that switch the 5 times to start the programming sequence. Members claim it's possible to match a fob using e TechII but a dealer will fix that lock for the same price (probably close, anyway).

Did you get your duplicate key with the car? I don't know if they can check the key codes to unsure your key is the right one. GM keys used to come with 'knockouts' that had a cross-reference code for such purpose.

Good luck!

When I bought the car it came with only 1 FOB and 1 key, to top it off the key is a Saturn key. Although it works on the glove box, I've been told by friends to make a copy on a Cadillac key and that might solve the problem.

Dealer isn't an option, no warranty.

KRSTS
10-29-10, 09:40 AM
Don't believe GM Glove box locks are "matched" to a specific car. Almost any GM key will open any GM glove box

Greg00coupe
10-29-10, 10:51 AM
Well this is probably not what you want to do........... but see my post is front doors wont's open...... To pull the door panel off is not that difficult. If you do you could replace the lock and of course you'd have to re key...... OR you could operate the locking mechanism inside the door manually 5 times to get the programing sequense going.

When I was messing around in the door the other night I set off the sequensing process several times moving the mechanical components around. Also Bill has a good picture in the referrenced post of the rod that runs from the lock to the door latch. Move that up and down 5 times and the sequense starts.

EChas3
10-29-10, 08:29 PM
Dealer isn't an option, no warranty.

If you plan to own an STS and never visit a dealer, yoiu're kidding yourself. In my opinion, start setting aside some bucks every month or trade it now.

rzambrano
10-30-10, 12:56 AM
If you plan to own an STS and never visit a dealer, yoiu're kidding yourself. In my opinion, start setting aside some bucks every month or trade it now.

Thanks for the advice, it's already in the works. Have gotten a few quotes here and there, just dont know who to trust. GMPP isnt an option either.

ddgm
10-30-10, 05:54 AM
The first thing to do is get the key so it opens the door. These cars are notorious for the keyless entry screwing up. If your battery goes dead ( another notorious issue ) you will not get in the car. I cannot stress this enough, make sure your key will open the door. Try squirting some WD40 into the lock and do the wiggle, jiggle thing. From your post I suspect you
don't have the right key. Good luck.

Doug

rzambrano
10-30-10, 05:38 PM
The first thing to do is get the key so it opens the door. These cars are notorious for the keyless entry screwing up. If your battery goes dead ( another notorious issue ) you will not get in the car. I cannot stress this enough, make sure your key will open the door. Try squirting some WD40 into the lock and do the wiggle, jiggle thing. From your post I suspect you
don't have the right key. Good luck.

Doug

Doug, thanks you. As previously suggested by someone else, I've tried that and so has my dad. No success.

EChas3
10-30-10, 07:18 PM
Go to any GM dealer with your title, registration, VIN and a good credit card. Buy a new key.

Good luck!

Greg00coupe
11-01-10, 02:21 PM
You don't need to go to a dealer. Go to NAPA and ask them for a recommendation as to a good, fair, reaspnable independent shop. You'd be amazed at the quality technical folks out there who work in a "neigborhood" garage. I've been going to a place when I get stumped for 15 years. Two owners in that time and the same core of guys. They have all the equipment needed and get training all the time.

They comment all the time how the local Cadi dealer hates them because of what they do for a lot less.

Last time I was at the stealer they wanted $1,300 for an electrical gremlin, misdiagnoised. The independent found the real problem for $100.

rzambrano
11-01-10, 06:41 PM
You don't need to go to a dealer. Go to NAPA and ask them for a recommendation as to a good, fair, reaspnable independent shop. You'd be amazed at the quality technical folks out there who work in a "neigborhood" garage. I've been going to a place when I get stumped for 15 years. Two owners in that time and the same core of guys. They have all the equipment needed and get training all the time.

They comment all the time how the local Cadi dealer hates them because of what they do for a lot less.

Last time I was at the stealer they wanted $1,300 for an electrical gremlin, misdiagnoised. The independent found the real problem for $100.

Thanks, I've always have had much more faith in independent service shops than franchise dealers.

EChas3
11-01-10, 09:17 PM
I thought you needed a key... I don't think an idenpendent shop is going to be able to supply a key.

rzambrano
11-01-10, 10:39 PM
I thought you needed a key... I don't think an idenpendent shop is going to be able to supply a key.

I did and still do, I just added my opinion to the post before mine's.

EChas3
11-02-10, 10:11 PM
I wish you well.