: Installing yard tranny from 2000 SLS into 00 DHS, 90k, Should I replace the ISS?

jimsbox
10-28-10, 05:28 PM
I am prepping the tranny by cleaning filters, replacing the TCC solenoid, draining and refilling the torque converter with Dexron VI. Wondering if it is really a good idea to try and replace the Input Speed Sensor. I have a pdf of the transmission manual but cannot find any specs on gapping the sensor (apparently a hall effect sensor to the shaft). Does anyone know what that gap should be or is my best bet to check it on the old one before removal if I do attempt to replace it? I already have a new sensor but it looks to be a pretty involved job even with the tranny suspended on a shop crane.

Thanks

Submariner409
10-28-10, 05:51 PM
The shop rate for that job (starting with the transmission in the car) is 12 hours, so it's no fun in any case. If you want, go ahead and replace it - I couldn't find any gap spec, either - stick a feeler gauge between it and the input gear to check. ISS has only come up 3 or 4 times in the 5 years I've been here, and a couple of those were wiring harness/connector problems.

jimsbox
10-28-10, 06:05 PM
If it is that rare a failure I think I will take my chances and not vhange it rather than risk causing some other issue by opening it up that far. You have to dig pretty deep into it. I am going to replace the TCC and let it go at that. There was a couple of tablespoons of water in the pan (probably condensation sitting in the junk yard ware house but the pan was clean of any real debris. The oil was dark though. Should I replace the side cover and pan gaskets or are they reusable?

Submariner409
10-28-10, 08:35 PM
If it is that rare a failure I think I will take my chances and not vhange it rather than risk causing some other issue by opening it up that far. You have to dig pretty deep into it. I am going to replace the TCC and let it go at that. There was a couple of tablespoons of water in the pan (probably condensation sitting in the junk yard ware house but the pan was clean of any real debris. The oil was dark though. Should I replace the side cover and pan gaskets or are they reusable?

If the pan/cover seals are formed silicone and look pliable they should be OK. There's a new GM 1-2 / 2-3 shift solenoid kit with bracket - an upgrade that would be worthwhile along with the TCC solenoid.

RippyPartsDept
10-28-10, 09:07 PM
and maybe a pressure control solenoid too, while you're there?
couldn't hurt and possibly save you from having to get in there again

jimsbox
10-28-10, 09:23 PM
Sub, is this what you are referring to, if so it lookslike it shouldn't be necessary in an 00 tranny? is that correct?

...and here is some info from the TSB:

"During the 1996 Model Year, transaxle Julian date 047, a new 1-2, 2-3 shift solenoid assembly, and a pressure control solenoid valve fluid filter retainer, were implemented on the 4T80-E transaxle.

All transaxles with a Julian date prior to 1996, 047 must be serviced with a service kit - 1-2/2-3 shift solenoid valves, which is available at GMSPO. This kit, P/N 24211355, contains the 1-2, 2-3 shift solenoid valves, the pressure control solenoid valve filter, the pressure control solenoid valve fluid filter retainer and the bolt to hold the retainer to the lower control valve body. All components in this kit must be used when servicing these transaxles.

1996 transaxles with a Julian date after 047, and 1997 through 1998 transaxles, should be serviced with individual components"

Ranger
10-28-10, 09:27 PM
No picture posted if that was your intent, but yes, I believe that is what Sub was referring to.

jimsbox
10-28-10, 09:41 PM
I grabbed that from an old 2003 post and there were no pictures with it. Do you agree that that probably does not apply to later year trannys like my 00? Actually, Ihave the pan off now I will see if there is a bracket holding the screen in in between the 1/2 and 2/3 solenoids. But please reply, both Sub and Ranger.

Ranger
10-28-10, 10:27 PM
Yes, early models had frequent shift solenoid failures and the kit (bracket) was the fix. I guess it was '96 when the bracket was incorporated into the factory trans. Yours should have it so that does not apply.

jimsbox
10-28-10, 10:31 PM
Thanks Ranger, I looked at my lower valve body and found the 2 solenoids straddling a screen but there is no strap or any place that looks likely to bolt the strap onto so I think they have redesigned it since that TB.

Ranger
10-28-10, 10:49 PM
Hmm, maybe. I know there are some pictures of it somewhere here, but I don't have any stored. Maybe Sub does.