: Anybody with a block heater cord they are not using.. i need one

andre_outlaw
10-28-10, 03:43 PM
Truck is missing the cord and i want to get everything ready before winter...

sksmoker
10-28-10, 06:49 PM
Typically those places that don't need them installed, don't get them. Best bet to get the cord from gmpartsdirect.com or some other place and plug it in. You have verified that it has a block heater, and is just missing the cord, I am assuming :)

Also know that the block heater doesn't get engaged until -18C, so make sure the orange tip is outside of the vehicle as much as possible. Something about GM saving the whales.

andre_outlaw
10-28-10, 09:42 PM
winter here that is a warm day... I'm in Canada but my truck is not so that is the reason for not having the cord.. i figured if somebody wasn't usung the cord i would rather buy it from them instead of paying the dealer. the fitting to go onto the block is cheap but the cord is crazy!.

sksmoker
10-29-10, 12:33 AM
I am in canada as well and yes, I am quite familiar with -50C without windchill!! I am in the same boat as you. My truck came from NJ which did not have a block heater installed. Now that I know the cord only lets juice flow through at -18C, I am looking at alternative solutions that won't throw CEL all the time.

I agree, the cord is crazy, but don't buy it from a dealer. gmpartsdirect.ca can help you out! I am actually looking at a Polar Pad - 250W from can tire that goes onto the oil pan, instead of warming the coolant. With heated seats and steering wheel, I am not so concerned about having warm coolant right away, more so for ease of starting the engine. The Polar Pad is supposed to warm the oil and and most of the engine through convection. It is made out of Winnipeg of all places, so I am leaning more towards them than the $300 block heater install, my labour to boot!