: Think the HG may have went in my Aurora...

auroradude
10-28-10, 12:37 AM
Just the other day i got thinking that i hoped the motor lasted to 200,000 without any problems. Then today i noticed after I parked the car after i had been running it hard..100mph for 30 miles or so (3000rpm), and going to redline 5 or 6 times to pass slow trucks , the Low Coolant Level msg was on.

Anyhow, after I got back in the car and it had cooled off to 120 degrees, i noticed the check coolant message was on and the reservoir was down to about 1/4 way of the tank. I filled it to the full cold line and drove it easy for 40 miles without any overheating. Flat 180 degrees running temp. I let it cool off again and it was down a little more, almost emptied the reservoir. No smoke out the exhaust either.

**It was raining out, but i did notice underneath where the car was parked, there was a very large spot of rainbow-looking waves. Could have been the coolant. But when i got home i didnt notice any coolant on the floor, and it was still going down.

I plan on driving with a blown HG and pumping a crapload of bars leaks thru the system. My buddy works at a parts store and they have that stuff by the truckload, he already gave me 15 bottles tonight. I'll let everyone know how it goes!

jimsbox
10-28-10, 02:08 AM
I am assuming you have the Oldsmobile version of the Northstar engine. I wouldn't put more than one dose of stopleak in or you will probably clog your radiator and heater core. The northstar has a lot of places to lose coolant besides the head gaskets. One common location is the crossover manifold at the driver's side of the engine. Obviously you should check every hose connection, I'm sure there are more than 12 of them. Also, you may have a weak surge tank cap allowing the coolant to be dumped overboard. To rule out the head gasket you need to use a block test kit that is available from NAPA for about $60.00 and can do several tests, I have also heard they can be rented at some other parts chain stores.

auroradude
10-28-10, 03:03 AM
That is true, I'll do the block test first and hoping that turns up blue, i'll have the dealer spend an hour looking it over. They are good over here. I do have the original radiator cap though..and when i took the cap off after running the motor at full operating temp, there wasn't that much pressure in there. Just a little bit of hissing and it came right off. Shouldnt it have started pissing coolant everywhere??

I love this thing as a winter/rainy beater..so smooth down the highway. I never drive my CTS-V in bad weather, totaled a Z06 driving it in the rain..

jimsbox
10-28-10, 03:47 AM
Check this link out:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/205284-pics-coolant-test-exhaust-gas-head.html

Ranger
10-28-10, 04:34 PM
I wouldn't put more than one dose of stopleak in or you will probably clog your radiator and heater core. The northstar has a lot of places to lose coolant besides the head gaskets.

To rule out the head gasket you need to use a block test kit that is available from NAPA for about $60.00 and can do several tests, I have also heard they can be rented at some other parts chain stores.
:yeah:

Barleaks WILL NOT cure a bad head gasket. Probably won't even slow it down.

I think AutoZone rents the tester. Probably any other store that has a tool rental program as well.

jimsbox
10-28-10, 05:57 PM
Hi Ranger,

I agree nothing in a bottle is anything better than a temporary bandaid at best for bad head gaskets and can cause serious problems at worst (sodium silicate products). I suspect he may just have a leak and one dose of stop leak may help with that. I was wanting to stop him dumping in multiple bottles of stop leak which would definitely make what may be a minor and inexpensive problem into a major problem both in work and expense. He is young and all my kids are older than him so I want to try and help him out. He doesn't seem to have a lot of experience. What do you think of putting coolant dye in the surge tank, I have done that before and it helped locate a few loose clamps.

Ranger
10-28-10, 09:54 PM
Dye is fine. Won't hurt a thing.

I couldn't agree more on the massive doses of Barleaks. That's just an invitation to bigger problems.