: Oil light comes on in an 98 Deville N*.

Wolfpath2004
09-17-04, 12:25 PM
Once in a great while my oil light comes on at idle. It will turn off as soon as i apply the throttle. I know what kind of damage an engine goes through with no oil pressure. Please give me some advice on this senario. Thanx.

JimHare
09-17-04, 01:58 PM
Had (have) the same problem occasionally. If the QUANTITY of oil is sufficient, and it's a good QUALITY, it's probably the pressure sending unit. I have a 99 Deville, and soon after I got it the LOW OIL PRESSURE-STOP ENGINE warning came on one hot afternoon after about five or six miles of stop and go traffic jam. Stopped, checked level (after a few minutes) and it was fine. Revs made light and chime go out.

Checked with Dealer - bad switch. Replace under warranty.

The switch is right next to the oil filter, and it's entirely possible, if not plausible, that a ham-handed filter replacement can knock it out of whack.

Check the oil level about once a week, and keep it in the hash-marks. Have the dealer check the switch next time you're there.

Wolfpath2004
09-17-04, 03:23 PM
Thanx for the advice sir. i will look up on that as soon as i can. if there are any other inquires about this. please reply..one more thing my 98 is the same colour as yours!

Wolfpath2004
09-17-04, 03:31 PM
Does anyone else have any tips on this subject? If you do please reply!

JimHare
09-17-04, 04:07 PM
Since you appear to have joined recently, the best thing you can do is search for and read every post made by Our Leader and Supreme God-like Being Who Can Do No Wrong, BBOBYNSKI the Great.

Rumor has BBob was born inside a N* oil pan and took 10w-30 with his Gerber and Similac.. :)

Seriously, though just go back and browse the threads in the N* Tech Discussion forum. Fount of Knowledge and all that....

Cheerio