: Front Parking Assist

fisherhja1
10-27-10, 03:28 PM
Is there any way to turn on the front parking assist and have it stay on? I have to turn it on everytime I drive and pull into a spot.

sube5186
10-27-10, 04:23 PM
Is there any way to turn on the front parking assist and have it stay on? I have to turn it on everytime I drive and pull into a spot.

If it stayed on constantly, it would be very annoying. Every time you were in stop-and-go traffic it would beep. Just FYI, it does come on in the front whenever you shift into reverse. I believe the front and back sensors then stay on for the entire ignition cycle. Not absolutely sure about the latter, as I haven't specifically tested the feature. It's just that it seems to work that way.

Sube

fisherhja1
10-27-10, 08:13 PM
After I hit about 15 mph it shuts off. If i turn it on manually it does stay on during the complete ignition cycle. It is just a pain in the ass because I have to manually turn it on if I want front assist when I am pulling in a parking space etc. It wouldbe nice if they gave me the option to leave it on all the time. You have to be pretty close to the vehical in front of you for it to be an annoyance.

sube5186
10-27-10, 08:39 PM
Turning on, and then off again at 15 m.p.h. would indicate there's probably a speed sensor that's part of the system as well. Maybe it's just a matter of you getting used to turning it on manually as soon as you enter the garage at work. I'm sure if you get into the habit, eventually it'll become second nature.

You are right though. It would be so easy for them to add the option of staying on in the "Config Menu".

Sube

Smokin' SRX
10-27-10, 11:23 PM
I gotta check. Mine is always active (below about 5 MPH) in front and rear, unless I hit the push button on center console to turn lite off. (and I do that accidentally quite often) Does not function,, by design , above about 5MPH, or you could never drive in rolling traffic jams as it has a bit of peripheral vision, and sees cars right next and ahead of you.

SS

kg5ie
06-18-11, 11:06 AM
This is an older thread but I could not find an answer. My front assist must also be turned on manually every time I pull into the garage. One user claimed his was on every time the ignition was turned on.

I would like to default the system to "on". Can this be done?

Thanks,

stevec5375
06-18-11, 02:05 PM
This is an older thread but I could not find an answer. My front assist must also be turned on manually every time I pull into the garage. One user claimed his was on every time the ignition was turned on.

I would like to default the system to "on". Can this be done?

Thanks,

No you can not default it to on. It must be turned on manually. I don't think you want it on all the time. It would drive you crazy in start/stop traffic.

sube5186
06-19-11, 02:03 PM
I believe it works exactly as it should. If you're backing up, it's assumed that at some point you'll be going forward (e.g. parallel parking), so the front sensors should turn on automatically whenever the back ones do. At times when you're pulling into a parking space with a car, sign, etc. ahead, you need to manually turn on the front sensors, since the car is unable to distinguish this from stop and go traffic.

Sube

Smokin' SRX
06-19-11, 10:32 PM
That's it! Sube described it totally.SS

Audioi
06-27-11, 09:05 PM
I must agree though that I would like it to default to on with the possibility of switching it off if its not needed. What good is it to have them if they do not work ?

stevec5375
06-28-11, 09:07 AM
So if they defaulted to on, within minutes of hitting rush hour traffic you'd probably turn them off. Then they would stay off until you remembered to turn them back on.

cvettr/cts-v
06-30-11, 10:52 AM
As stated above only work around is to turn the button near shifter back on once it is turned off by computer and it will stay on till ignition is cycled off, manually turned off by same button, or you hit reverse then drive and go above the speed computer turns it off again. My mom likes hers active all the time but she really does not do any traffic driving so it is not an issue for her to simply hit the button to make it active before she hits the end of her road. It really is just a simple button push and it'll be habit for you in no time and you wont give it a second thought.

billssrx
01-19-14, 09:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSFx_5J3tlY&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DrSFx_5J3tlY&app=desktop

This is a Cadillac video which states that the default for the front parking assist is "ON" and can be turned "OFF" for the ignition cycle. I disagree with those who state the sensors are a problem in heavy traffic, they do not go off until you are very close and let you know if you are easing up on a vehicle at a stop light. Your parking sensors should go off as you increase your speed, but should come back "ON" when you slow and pull into a parking space. If anyone has heard different from a dealer, please let me know.

kg5ie
01-20-14, 08:15 AM
I have to disagree. The default on my SRX is off. I have to remember to turn it on every time I pull into the garage to park.

billssrx
01-20-14, 06:51 PM
The video was by Cadillac and it states it should be on all the time. My SRX 2011 does not stay on, but I think it needs to be fixed. I will let you know what the shop says.

crump13
01-20-14, 07:01 PM
Mine will automatically activate as I slow down whether it is in traffic or when I am a parking lot parking. I do not follow or stop behind someone close enough for it be an issue but I will see the Parking assist range appear on the DIC if I get close enough to the car in front of me in stop and go traffic. The only time I have messed with the Parking Assist button was to turn it off while I had my hitch mounted bike rack on the back and when I would back up it would give me the beeps that there was an object in the way.

~Tina~

JohnnyBzSRX
01-21-14, 09:45 AM
There must be a change in how this operates between the various years of SRXs. My '13 seems to default to ON. I've never tried to turn it OFF, and if increasing speed is supposed to turn it off, I'm none the wiser (like Tina, I don't hug the back bumpers of cars in front of me in traffic, stopped or moving). Regardless, its ON when I pull into the garage to park, so if it turns OFF w/ increasing speed, it must turn back ON automatically.

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-28-14, 01:36 PM
The video was by Cadillac and it states it should be on all the time. My SRX 2011 does not stay on, but I think it needs to be fixed. I will let you know what the shop says.

Hello billssrx,

I researched the 2011 SRX owner’s manual and it states on page 9-41 this:
“When the vehicle is shifted into R (Reverse) the front and rear sensors are automatically turned on. After the vehicle is shifted out of R (Reverse), the rear sensors are turned off and the front sensors stay on until the vehicle is above a certain speed.”
It does seem as though that they do turn off at a certain speed but I am not sure if it comes back on when your speed slows down. If you were to private message me with your VIN, I could reach out to an internal resource and look into this further.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

dmurphy
01-28-14, 03:06 PM
My '13 definitely defaults to ON. It's been randomly beeping at me with this bad weather - as the ice and such covers the sensors, they are going slightly batty. The beeping gets irritating after a while :)

eemanli
07-26-14, 02:09 PM
At the bottom line, the manufacture should give customer options to choose if they have demands. They can't judge or think what others want in their own convenience.

jrose7004
07-26-14, 08:06 PM
I seem to have to turn mine on in the front when I'm heading into a parking space.