: Is 2010 SRX Turbo' ride similar to 2010 CTS wagon, ''sports suspension''??

SHOWGIRL
10-27-10, 03:16 PM
Hello - Would 20' tires make an SRX turbo ride 'smoother' or actually more stiff/hard ?
If you've driven the CTS Sports Wagon with 18'' tires (sports suspension 3.6 ltr) how would the SRX turbo (20'' tires) compare? I.E. as smooth/comfortable as the CTS ? thanks in advance for any input.

TheCaptain
10-27-10, 03:28 PM
20" tires are more stiff, both for cornering handling, and general ride quality.

I've driven three setups: SRX - 20's, SRX - 18's, and CTS Performance Package sedan 18's
I would rate ride quality (based on softness/plush ride as 10, sporty/harsh as 1) as the following, in my opinion:
SRX- 20's - 7.5
SRX -18's - 9
CTS Performance Package sedan 18's - 8

My old Cobalt SS SC - 18's - 3 :D

SHOWGIRL
10-27-10, 03:45 PM
20" tires are more stiff, both for cornering handling, and general ride quality.
I've driven three setups: SRX - 20's, SRX - 18's, and CTS Performance Package sedan 18's
I would rate ride quality (based on softness/plush ride as 10, sporty/harsh as 1) as the following, in my opinion:
SRX- 20's - 7.5
SRX -18's - 9
CTS Performance Package sedan 18's - 8
My old Cobalt SS SC - 18's - 3 :D
-----------------------
if i'm understanding this then the CTS Sports Wagon's ride & the SRX turbo(20'') are pretty close in 'feel' on the road ?
We didn't know if we'd feel a huge difference between our 2010 Sports Wagon, 3.6 ltr/sports suspension, 18'' tires and the SRX turbo (20'') ...the wagon is very smooth, quiet cabin, steering wheel is stiff in that it's exceedinly 'sensitive' which is fine with us... but we wouldn't want to give up what we call 'plush-ride' in this wagon by getting more of a heavy ''truck-ride' in the Turbo with all wheel suspension... hope i didn't confuse you - lol ...many thanks again.... SG

TheCaptain
10-27-10, 03:54 PM
Yes, i was actually really surprised at the difference (or rather lack thereof) between the CTS' 18's rim and tire combo, with small sidewalls, and the SRX's 20" rim and tire combo with higher sidewalls. They did a really good job on keeping the 20" ride as smooth as possible!

But as always, a test drive with your own butt dyno is the biggest tell around. Nothing beats first hand, especially if my view of "smoothness" differs from yours. :thumbsup:

SHOWGIRL
10-27-10, 04:13 PM
Yes, i was actually really surprised at the difference (or rather lack thereof) between the CTS' 18's rim and tire combo, with small sidewalls, and the SRX's 20" rim and tire combo with higher sidewalls. They did a really good job on keeping the 20" ride as smooth as possible! THAT IS GREAT TO HEAR ...MY HUSBAND THOUGHT ''LARGER'' TIRES EQUATED WITH 'HARDER/FIRMER'/STIFF RIDE ...

But as always, a test drive with your own butt dyno is the biggest tell around. Nothing beats first hand, especially if my view of "smoothness" differs from yours. :thumbsup: I TOTALLY AGREE BUT DO SO APPRECIATE YOUR HELP & OPINION!! SG :cool2:

GeeVee
10-27-10, 10:34 PM
Hey Skipper, I knew you had a great wealth of knowledge when it came to cars but I had no idea of your "butt" expertise! You flatlanders never cease to amaze me :)

Smokin' SRX
10-28-10, 12:09 AM
The Captain is [I]on course![/I I test drove a CTS wagon and while it rides a bit harsher than a CTS sedan w/ 18 wheels. it still rides a bit nicer than an X with 20" rims. I griped in an earlier thread (few months ago) about the ride in my X with 20's ( Turbo or Non has same ride w/ 20" rims. I almost bought 18" rims from some guy on Ebay and was gonna put them on my X, but kinda got used to the 20's after lowering air to 32 PSI instead of 35 PSI as recco by GM. But ONLY for local, sub-45 MPH use with just my wife and I. Longer rides or with 4 passengers or heavy cargo, above 50 MPH, it's 35PSI cold. Yup, I'll wear them out faster but save about $1800 in new 1/8" tires and rims.

TEST DRIVE. ;)

SS

SHOWGIRL
10-28-10, 07:46 PM
[QUOTE=Smokin' SRX;2401120]The Captain is [I]on course![/I I test drove a CTS wagon and while it rides a bit harsher than a CTS sedan w/ 18 wheels. it still rides a bit nicer than an X with 20" rims. I griped in an earlier thread (few months ago) about the ride in my X with 20's ( Turbo or Non has same ride w/ 20" rims. I almost bought 18" rims from some guy on Ebay and was gonna put them on my X, but kinda got used to the 20's after lowering air to 32 PSI instead of 35 PSI as recco by GM. But ONLY for local, sub-45 MPH use with just my wife and I. Longer rides or with 4 passengers or heavy cargo, above 50 MPH, it's 35PSI cold. Yup, I'll wear them out faster but save about $1800 in new 1/8" tires and rims.
TEST DRIVE. ;)
-----------------------
Many thanks for all the replies - guess it all boils down to 'individual' preferences and feeling of the car/ride... :thumbsup:

Smokin' SRX
10-29-10, 11:24 AM
Right on. Last word.....the SRX with the 18" wheels has best ride of all 3 IMHO. But as soon as you go up to a Performance or Premium model, 20" wheels are standard. Maybe get a Luxury Model and "load" it up? Many of the higher end model's options are now available I hear, for 2011....

Good luck! I'd "suffer" with any of them :thumbsup:

SS

stevec5375
10-29-10, 07:36 PM
Too bad the 20" wheels are as nice as ride as the smaller ones. I think the larger wheels look better.