: 02 STS - Need to decode VIN to determine date of manufacture. Got front shock issues

Avenger
10-26-10, 10:22 PM
I love my 2002 STS, but I'm having front shock issues when hitting dips. According to the club, if my car was built prior to January 2002, I can replace the front shocks with regular shocks (F45 Code). I have my VIN, but I don't know how to decode it to determine Date of Manufacture.
The VIN is 1G6KY54912Uxxxxxx. Apreciate any help. :yup:

dkozloski
10-26-10, 11:29 PM
You're in the wrong forum. This section is for RWD STSs. Your date of manufacture is on a tag on your driver's door edge or surrounding jamb.

turnne
10-27-10, 07:55 PM
I love my 2002 STS, but I'm having front shock issues when hitting dips. According to the club, if my car was built prior to January 2002, I can replace the front shocks with regular shocks (F45 Code). I have my VIN, but I don't know how to decode it to determine Date of Manufacture.
The VIN is 1G6KY54912Uxxxxxx. Apreciate any help. :yup:

You need to check in the other forum to make sure
BUT..I thought it was around March 02 that they went to the Mag ride suspension from the old ISS set up

If you are lucky..you don't have Magride...reason being you can buy some replacements for the older set up that are much cheaper than the $1100 to 1200 each for the factory replacements...you will give up the traction and stability control I think though..if you go that route

With the Magride set up...open the wallet and say "ahhh"
You have to with the factory set up and its not a cheap date

Good luck to you

Warren

EChas3
10-27-10, 08:30 PM
Ya gotta pay to play.

How much does an Audi front end job cost and how often do you need those 8 ball joints?

They do handle nice, though; don't they?

turnne
10-27-10, 08:46 PM
Ya gotta pay to play.

How much does an Audi front end job cost and how often do you need those 8 ball joints?

They do handle nice, though; don't they?
Not anywhere close to the 4K it costs to replace on the STS...compare the costs...and if you are talking about an A6..its a more valuable car than the STS
And yes..its handles a lot better than an STS

In fact you can replace the airmatic suspension on an S class for the same price as these shocks cost on the STS
And you know how big of a difference in value there is between an STS and an S class

it just seems funny to me that you replace a the suspension on a 15K used car and a 50K used car..of the same year and mileage...for the same price

The person who started this thread likely has a car...depending on mileage that is worth $4-5K..... a 4K suspension repair on a 4K car
Thats a game I didn't want to play...and the main reason I traded my 02
If "paying to play" means you have to spend more than the car is worth to keep it on the road..I will pass..thanks

Warren