: Oil Change

cazzara02
10-26-10, 02:34 PM
I know the manual calls for oil change at 10,500 but....

Should I have it done before that? I have 3500 miles on my car. Im used to getting it changed every 3k

Ponyman
10-26-10, 02:52 PM
My dealer says go with the service engine oil indicator. Of course they are in the busines to sell cars

sube5186
10-26-10, 03:20 PM
My dealer says go with the service engine oil indicator. Of course they are in the busines to sell cars

Your dealer is correct. The engine oil life system is far more accurate than going by the mileage. Think about this for a minute. Let's say you have two different drivers. Driver A changes his oil at 3,000 miles. He drives mostly highway miles with few stops. Driver B also changes his oil at 3,000 miles. He drives mostly in stop and go traffic, idling for long periods of time. Both drivers have 3,000 miles on their vehicles when they change oil. However, due to the length of time driver B spends idling, his engine has much more wear and tear. The SRX's oil life system takes these types of factors into consideration.

My first oil change was at 5,800 miles, and I still had 8% oil life left. I drive mostly in and around town. Somebody else who drives mostly highway miles might get 7,000 miles before their oil life meter reaches the same point. If this sounds like an awful long time between oil changes, don't forget this. Synthetic oil has approx. double the life of conventional oils.

Page 9-12 of the manual:

Engine Oil Life System

When to Change Engine Oil

This vehicle has a computer system
that indicates when to change the
engine oil and filter. This is based
on engine revolutions and engine
temperature, and not on mileage.
Based on driving conditions, the
mileage at which an oil change is
indicated can vary considerably.

Sube

stevec5375
10-26-10, 05:44 PM
Sube,

Some people won't believe you even if you cite verifiable scientific evidence. So I say, let them waste their money. It helps stimulate the economy.

PJ1520
10-26-10, 06:34 PM
Edmunds has an interesting article about oil change intervals, both conventional and synthetic.

Long gone are the days where one needs to do a conventional oil change at 3,000 miles, but people continue this time-honored tradition because that is what they were taught to do. They dropped the conventional oil in taxis at 5,000 miles (read heavy/severe use) and the lab confirmed the oil was still good for another 2K miles.

The same is true for the synthetics. Folks are changing the oil with the synthetics far sooner than they need to. Go into Jiffy Lube, for example, and ask when you should next change your oil. They will say the mileage but the sticker/reminder is still pegged back at an much earlier oil change interval. Upsell.

Edmunds theorizes that folks are so frustrated with the complexity of their vehicles that an oil change is one of the few things they feel they have any control over. More has to be better, right? Nope. The Edmunds article summarized it this way: on average, we Americans are only using about 50% of our motor oil's useful, safe, and prudent life. The auto manufacturers aren't even buying into accelerated oil change intervals.... and they have to cover the drivetrain warranties!!!!!!!

My SRX oil monitoring system seems to keep indicating 15,000 mile oil change intervals based on the "remaining useful life." I'm swapping it out at about 8,000 miles which puts me right on target with the average American's overzealousness.

Smokin' SRX
10-26-10, 08:53 PM
I have been doing Syn-Tec since 1995 (4 diff vehicles) and change it every 10-12K MILES or once a year, whichever comes first. I do try to time it roughly with either the start of the cold winter and scorching Summer seasons. With a new filter too. Also, multiple tests show that Syn-tec delivers about a 1/2 MPG increase!

SS