: underground racing's lambo goes end over end at 250mph at texas mile.

e6t
10-26-10, 09:59 AM
THAT is gonna leave a mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS1NU6xjTSY

Domsz06
10-26-10, 10:32 AM
yeah not fun at all. Can't believe he walked away.

BTW FWIW this was not UGR's lambo. They just did the work. This was Richard Holts, the current record holder in the same car at 250.1 That was back when he had 1200 hp, now he has 1800 and they were going to try and break into the 270+ range.

This was his high Hp car lol. He has a black one that is at 1500 ;)

e6t
10-26-10, 10:34 AM
yeah not fun at all. Can't believe he walked away.

BTW FWIW this was not UGR's lambo. They just did the work. This was Richard Holts, the current record holder in the same car at 250.1 That was back when he had 1200 hp, now he has 1800 and they were going to try and break into the 270+ range.

This was his high Hp car lol. He has a black one that is at 1500 ;)

i know its holts car... i didnt mean to imply that it was actually ur's car...

Fubar75207
10-26-10, 11:02 AM
It was an ugly accident. Everybody was just quite. I remember all you could hear was a few of his crew member yelling at each other to get down to the car but the other 400 people at the event were statues.

rjoffe
10-26-10, 11:21 AM
Any root cause?

baabootoo
10-26-10, 11:23 AM
Aerodynamics.

e6t
10-26-10, 11:42 AM
Any root cause?

ive read that the driver hit the brakes before the chute was fully opened... apparently, you are supposed to keep the gas down until the chute opens, let the shoot start to slow the car, then brake. it is thought that when he jammed on the brakes, one of the parachute lines wrapped around the rear wheel.

i watched a few other high speed runs in that car and it looked damned near impossible to control. on the record run last march, holt spun the car at speed several times before he hit 250.

Domsz06
10-26-10, 12:20 PM
i know its holts car... i didnt mean to imply that it was actually ur's car...

ah ok. My bad. Lot of people on other forums are saying it's UGR's and I dont' want bad press for them, they build solid cars IMO.

Any root cause?

There was a few, one was the not driving through the chute, another was it's location. It was not anchored in the proper location relative to the cam (ie not in the center of gravity/mass) and also the cross wind i'm sure didn't help any either.

Domsz06
10-26-10, 12:20 PM
ive read that the driver hit the brakes before the chute was fully opened... apparently, you are supposed to keep the gas down until the chute opens, let the shoot start to slow the car, then brake. it is thought that when he jammed on the brakes, one of the parachute lines wrapped around the rear wheel.

i watched a few other high speed runs in that car and it looked damned near impossible to control. on the record run last march, holt spun the car at speed several times before he hit 250.

and now he had about 600 rwhp more then in March.....

e6t
10-26-10, 01:29 PM
and now he had about 600 rwhp more then in March.....

i read that the car he wrecked had over 1900 hp. that may be at the fly or something.

Domsz06
10-26-10, 01:47 PM
i read that the car he wrecked had over 1900 hp. that may be at the fly or something.

i was on 6speedonline and the dyno was at 1749, unless it wasn't his...

Either way it's SIC! ;)

e6t
10-26-10, 01:59 PM
maybe a mod could edit the thread title to say "lambo built by underground racing goes end over end at 250mph at texas mile."

and technically, i have since read it was only doing 235 when it went off the road...

tedcmiller
10-26-10, 02:11 PM
I don't think that will wax out.

e6t
10-26-10, 02:21 PM
I don't think that will wax out.

i wonder is he can flash the ecu back to stock and try to make a warranty claim?

Domsz06
10-26-10, 03:02 PM
i wonder is he can flash the ecu back to stock and try to make a warranty claim?

ha ah ah!!

not with all this over the net ;)

e6t
10-26-10, 03:09 PM
ha ah ah!!

not with all this over the net ;)

HEY. wudn't me.

Domsz06
10-26-10, 03:22 PM
HEY. wudn't me.

it was "stolen!!! "

hulksdaddy
10-26-10, 06:24 PM
Buddy of mine over at Smokinvette knows him. Said it might have been a 30 mph crosswind that grabbed the chute.

Domsz06
10-26-10, 08:34 PM
Buddy of mine over at Smokinvette knows him. Said it might have been a 30 mph crosswind that grabbed the chute.

there was lots of quotes about high wind, but the real problem was not proper installation of the chute and also not proper use of the chute.

I can go into more details if you would like.

hulksdaddy
10-26-10, 11:02 PM
there was lots of quotes about high wind, but the real problem was not proper installation of the chute and also not proper use of the chute.

I can go into more details if you would like.

Not necessary, saw your post on it. They didn't have the chute hooked up proper? And used it wrong? :bonkers: How careless:helpless:. If I was driving, would make sure to dot my I's and cross my T's better than that.

NC_Cadzilla
10-27-10, 12:20 AM
That dude is lucky to be alive. I hope he had a spare set of clothes, because i would have chitted all over myself if that was me

Domsz06
10-27-10, 08:10 AM
Not necessary, saw your post on it. They didn't have the chute hooked up proper? And used it wrong? :bonkers: How careless:helpless:. If I was driving, would make sure to dot my I's and cross my T's better than that.

Yeah apprently when I talk to LMR (shop doing my tunning) they said you HAVE to have the chute hooked in line with the centerline of the cam. (the lambo was below)

and you CANNOT hit the brakes until the chute is fully deployed, you can see in the video it was not :(

Fubar75207
10-27-10, 08:24 AM
I just don't understand why he didn't stick with the brakes. They are more than sufficient to stop that car in that amount of time. I don't think there is any official word on the cause yet, just a lot of speculation.

e6t
10-27-10, 09:37 AM
I just don't understand why he didn't stick with the brakes. They are more than sufficient to stop that car in that amount of time. I don't think there is any official word on the cause yet, just a lot of speculation.

a parachute looks so much more cool.

the brakes on that car are MORE than adequate to stop the car.

rjoffe
10-27-10, 09:56 AM
How much runoff is there at that event ?

Nine Ball
10-27-10, 10:23 AM
The brakes are adequate to stop the car at NORMAL power levels. This is a 2-mile strip, any cars going over 220 have to get HARD on the brakes to make the turn. This car went 250 mph before on this strip, and also spun out with just the brakes. I don't think some of you can grasp the concept of going 250 mph and not having enough shut-down length to stop from those speeds. A chute is definitely required here, as most cars over 220 do use them.

Fubar75207
10-27-10, 11:14 AM
Granted, I only went 205 at this event but I didn't even need to get on the brakes hard. It was a simple firm brake down to 70-80 and then slide through the turn to keep the rotors cool. At 250 you would definitely have to hammer the brakes more but a car like that can run through the turn at 100mph if the brakes don't get it done.

Either way it dangerous, it just appears that more can go wrong with a chute. I would rather run the grass at 50mph, than do endos in my new UGR Lambo. That crosswind would have scared the be-jesus out of me. I suspect cars that want to pull a chute will now have a new requirement of <10mph winds.

e6t
10-27-10, 11:20 AM
ive never gone that fast... but i have to think that if it takes over 1700 hp to make that car go that fast, when you simply let off the gas, it would have to be like hitting a brick wall... i would expect it to get back to 200 fairly quickly and if fubar was able to slow down his fat ass caddy from 205, a lambo should be much easier... awe hell, what do i know?

Perdition
10-27-10, 11:41 AM
Richard Holt's UGR Superleggera made about 1938whp.

And here's a few informative posts by people who know what they are talking about:

Some of the posts going around the forums are ridiculous...like the whole "chute got stuck under a wheel story..."

I was there, near the 3/4 mile marker...saw the wreck happen right before my eyes...and happened to see slow motion video on a computer monitor (afterwards) and let me assure you, the chute did NOT get stuck under anything. From my point of view, the events unfolded as such:

1. Car hits 237.xx
2. Brake lights come on (foot on brake = light rear end as the weight moves to the front)
3. As the brake lights come on, the chute is deployed (brakes already on, chute naturally transfers weight to the front and should be pulled under WOT only releasing the throttle once it's fully deployed)
4. Cross wind takes the chute off the to side a little bit, coupled with the light rear end, the back end comes out to the left (direction of the crosswind)
5. Car goes off track, is still on 4 wheels
6. Dirt/grass burm gets in the way, car hits burm, tumbles begin...

THANK GOD UGR did such a great job with the cage and other safety equipment (cage, seats, harness, fire suppression, etc...)

Peter

A Lambo "can" stop w/o a chute there, but having more run-off would set a LOT of people a little more at ease. I had 3 runs last year over 230mph and 1 at over 241mph, and relied solely on the stock brakes, which got it done. UR does have a rotor upgrade which I didn't have at the time too. No other cars that I've seen run at Texas could stop at those speeds w/o a chute though, other than the Ford GT. Having more room would be EXTREMELY nice and probably would have kept 2 cars from the damage they incurred this time around.

Kyle

Bottom line, I'm glad that Richard made it out okay.

e6t
10-27-10, 12:05 PM

This.

paul34
10-27-10, 12:11 PM

Things change at over 200 MPH. Not only does it become exponentially more difficult to eek out another MPH, but the requirements for everything - tires, brakes, etc become much higher. Braking from 235 MPH is very different from braking from 135 MPH. Those kinds of speeds are far beyond the league most of us will ever experience.

rjoffe
10-27-10, 01:12 PM
Sounds like the track needs significant more runoff

Domsz06
10-27-10, 01:29 PM

he didn't have a chute on last march when he went 250.1. I believe why it was installed is they were going for the 280 mark, and at 280 there isn't enough room. (or what ever there goal was, lots of rumors)

This strip has .5 miles to slow down... Not a lot when your doing 250+

at 280 (if that was the goal) your going 410.667 ft/s

at 205 it's 300 ft/s

The runway is only 1.5 miles long before the turn. so that last half mile you cover pretty fast when you think about it.

Didn't someone say he spun out last year applying the brakes? If it was myself I know I would have wanted a chute since they would seem to slow you down much faster, and allow for a "safer" slow down....

Domsz06
10-27-10, 01:30 PM
Sounds like the track needs significant more runoff

one of the forums said the FL mile will be 300 feet wide and 2 miles long, ie a full mile to slow down.

Golaird actually is longer but they call it the "debris" field... maybe someone can chime in about that.

Fubar75207
10-27-10, 02:15 PM
ive never gone that fast... but i have to think that if it takes over 1700 hp to make that car go that fast, when you simply let off the gas, it would have to be like hitting a brick wall... i would expect it to get back to 200 fairly quickly and if fubar was able to slow down his fat ass caddy from 205, a lambo should be much easier... awe hell, what do i know?

Actually, a GT hauled my fatass down the runway but there was a few BADASS CTS-Vs out there. And yes, letting off the gas at 200mph has the same effect as hitting the brakes at slower speeds. The first time I ran the mile and got to 185ish, I stood on the GTs brakes after the line (just for shits and giggles). I was at a complete stop 1/2 way before I got to the turn... my rotors were also shot.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17662&d=1288054652

+1 Agreed, I was staging when the Lambo made that run. We were all watching and waiting for some incredible speed number and then we all saw it. Nobody could believe what they were looking at. 300 people standing around and you could absolutely hear a pin drop. Then Richard's crew started to yell at one another about getting down there and reality kinda snapped back in. We were all relieved and amazed to find out that Richard wanted to get back in his other car and hit the track again. Big Cajoles

...Didn't someone say he spun out last year applying the brakes? If it was myself I know I would have wanted a chute since they would seem to slow you down much faster, and allow for a "safer" slow down....

If 280 was the expected speed then a chute would be a good idea at The Texas Mile. In Florida, a Ford GT ran 270 without a chute but there was more stopping distance. IMHO, a chute adds an element of danger, not safety. While it may be required at those speeds, I would avoid using it unless absolutely necessary. Although I hate the idea of this event being over regulated, I think it may be a good idea to consider what speed a chute would be required and at what wind speed (frontal, crosswind, or even a hind wind) would prohibit the use of a chute and thereby any runs in excess of 2XX mph. Keep in mind, that a rule like this would kill the event at The Texas Mile as there is alway a significant wind.

e6t
10-27-10, 02:26 PM
Didn't someone say he spun out last year applying the brakes? If it was myself I know I would have wanted a chute since they would seem to slow you down much faster, and allow for a "safer" slow down....

what i saw was during the first run, it spun under acceleration... when he spun after the second run, it looked intentional and at MUCH lower speeds. third run, looks like it got away from him under braking when the pavement changed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afh9gsV9tV4

Domsz06
10-27-10, 02:31 PM
Actually, a GT hauled my fatass down the runway but there was a few BADASS CTS-Vs out there. And yes, letting off the gas at 200mph has the same effect as hitting the brakes at slower speeds. The first time I ran the mile and got to 185ish, I stood on the GTs brakes after the line (just for shits and giggles). I was at a complete stop 1/2 way before I got to the turn... my rotors were also shot.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17662&d=1288054652

+1 Agreed, I was staging when the Lambo made that run. We were all watching and waiting for some incredible speed number and then we all saw it. Nobody could believe what they were looking at. 300 people standing around and you could absolutely hear a pin drop. Then Richard's crew started to yell at one another about getting down there and reality kinda snapped back in. We were all relieved and amazed to find out that Richard wanted to get back in his other car and hit the track again. Big Cajoles

If 280 was the expected speed then a chute would be a good idea at The Texas Mile. In Florida, a Ford GT ran 270 without a chute but there was more stopping distance. IMHO, a chute adds an element of danger, not safety. While it may be required at those speeds, I would avoid using it unless absolutely necessary. Although I hate the idea of this event being over regulated, I think it may be a good idea to consider what speed a chute would be required and at what wind speed (frontal, crosswind, or even a hind wind) would prohibit the use of a chute and thereby any runs in excess of 2XX mph. Keep in mind, that a rule like this would kill the event at The Texas Mile as there is alway a significant wind.

good info! ;)

I didn't realize a gt went 270 at the FL mile.

Perdition
10-27-10, 04:22 PM
good info! ;)

I didn't realize a gt went 270 at the FL mile.

There's a lot of controversy over that "record". The timing equipment was off at the Miami Mile and most tuners packed it up and left as a result. Others failed to disclose their results. There's a huge thread over on Lambo Pit about this but I don't want take this thread off topic.

Also, regarding Richard's performance at the last mile. It was the first time Richard had ever driven the car. It was also the first time a UGR TTG had attempted to stop from those speeds using factory CCBs. I believe there was a different brake setup this year.

Fubar75207
10-27-10, 09:18 PM
There's a lot of controversy over that "record". The timing equipment was off at the Miami Mile and most tuners packed it up and left as a result. Others failed to disclose their results.

I thought the only person who disputed the run was the guy who held the record before? Another GT that ran 253 on a different day. Anyway the point was chutes are not necessary at those speeds unless the track demands it.

CIWS
10-27-10, 09:33 PM

Is that your blue one repainted ?

Fubar75207
10-27-10, 10:51 PM
Is that your blue one repainted ?

Just skinned, I thought it would be fun. It turns out Texas State Trooper don't have a sense of humor. :)

Domsz06
10-28-10, 09:05 AM
Just skinned, I thought it would be fun. It turns out Texas State Trooper don't have a sense of humor. :)

so did they give you a hard time?